6/28/2020 - War Slot Filling, Removing Beige

Alex

Just now, Deulos said:

The difference is they want to be in control of who gets "rewarded" with beige and who doesn't. It's more at "let's abuse the game mechanics to punish people that think differently". Personally, I like seeing them have cows over this too.

I guess that makes sense, It was a legitimate question - I've been here long, but never really take shit that seriously to be the one out there giving all the orders during wars, but I know its always been a thing in war. I guess I just look at this as have your cake and eat it to. I'm more of a long-game type person, my ideas are maybe politics will change on these changes - they won't - but its always been my hope.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Deulos said:

I know but they haven't gotten very far on the forums without either getting freezed out or roasted into eternity by said members of large alliances. Just because you choose to join the first alliance you see doesn't mean that's end all. All during the global the old Col B kept pushing the remove beige narrative to eternally spook away the opposition. Now it's removed...

The coalition whose alliances are no longer in the game?

"Most successful new AA" - Samuel Bates

8 minutes ago, Mad Max said:

I think its funny when changes in a game make y'all super upset.

What is the difference between giving the order to not beige in war and not having beige in a war? I am someone who's been in these games for a while, why? No idea. Most times they get to the point where it is boring as all hell. Alex may make quick and sudden changes, but for me - keeps me on my toes and pushes you to learn new things, strats, and maybe - could change the dynamics in the game. I don't think he wakes up one day and is like no more beige, I think there is a thought process there.

I look forward to what this brings to the game. Also, I like pre's extended ideas in this game - there's a lot that can be done to change the war mechanics, everybody isn't going to be happy, but going personal and negative isn't going to solve anything haha

Okay, first off, "lol you're upset" is no argument. There's been actual arguments as to why this change is garbage, which you've not merely failed to address but in fact are outright denying in complete bad faith.

Second, with his final sentence alone, Alex has proven beyond any possible doubt that there is indeed no "thought process". He's had dozens of well-formed and productively discussed suggestions regarding the issue, which he has never even looked at. He's completely unaware of all the work we've put into this already, or he'd have seen the suggestions that we've put in over years of the problem existing. But no, he straight up asks for suggestions like there aren't already plenty?

Now, sure this will change the dynamics. Obviously it will do that. The fact that it will change nothing for the better is apparently okay with you?

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, James II said:

The coalition whose alliances are no longer in the game?

There are several "sympathizers" that are still here,( I'm not going to name drop). And have that same salt the Earth mentality as OD when it comes to anything they refuse to accept.

17 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Okay, first off, "lol you're upset" is no argument. There's been actual arguments as to why this change is garbage, which you've not merely failed to address but in fact are outright denying in complete bad faith.

Second, with his final sentence alone, Alex has proven beyond any possible doubt that there is indeed no "thought process". He's had dozens of well-formed and productively discussed suggestions regarding the issue, which he has never even looked at. He's completely unaware of all the work we've put into this already, or he'd have seen the suggestions that we've put in over years of the problem existing. But no, he straight up asks for suggestions like there aren't already plenty?

Now, sure this will change the dynamics. Obviously it will do that. The fact that it will change nothing for the better is apparently okay with you?

Ok first off - your first sentence just proves the argument that you are upset, but its chill to take a free browser nation simulation game so serious to the point that you personally insult someone. From the perspective of someone who works on systems with a nation-wide customer base that submits feedback, suggestions, and other requests to me in a fast paced first response industry - I understand what it is like to not make everyone happy, have priorities, and make changes that might make people upset in the short term. I ask my customer base for suggestions almost frequently, because where there wasn't a previous thought of idea, there might be a new one, changed one, or one adapted to the current change in the system. It is how a system grows and grows for the better.

I think saying this will change 'nothing for the better' is a pretty inflated opinion being pumped up by the masses here that like the control over the beige mechanic - therefore your insinuation that I also agree with that and its OK is wrong. As I stated, these games get boring so regardless if you agree with what is happening or multiple people agree - y'all will keep playing and it will be fun for me to learn how to navigate the waters.

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mad Max said:

Ok first off - your first sentence just proves the argument that you are upset, but its chill to take a free browser nation simulation game so serious to the point that you personally insult someone. From the perspective of someone who works on systems with a nation-wide customer base that submits feedback, suggestions, and other requests to me in a fast paced first response industry - I understand what it is like to not make everyone happy, have priorities, and make changes that might make people upset in the short term. I ask my customer base for suggestions almost frequently, because where there wasn't a previous thought of idea, there might be a new one, changed one, or one adapted to the current change in the system. It is how a system grows and grows for the better.

If you do in fact work in an industry that works with feedback on a mass scale, then you'll know that while it is impossible to fully engage with each customer individually, you still do need to actually receive the input. In general, this means that suggestions and complaints are categorized into blocks of statistics: which complaints are being made most often? Which complaints include suggestions for improvement? Which suggestions are being made most often, which have the most support, which responders are credible and which are just white noise? But that's just the initial prioritization.

From there, you'll have something to actually look at and work with, which you need to prioritize further. Some complaints must be thrown out as not worth addressing, and many suggestions are just trash no matter how well-supported they are. Even then, however, you still need to maintain records of these things so that you can refer to them when a new decision needs to be made. Diligence counts, and you have to do your research in order to make an informed decision.

Alex has obviously done none of this, or he'd not need to ask for what he already has in abundance. If, and I sincerely doubt you in every possible way but IF you already knew these incredibly basic things about your theoretical "job", then you know perfectly well that not doing your job isn't a way to get things done... and admitting to not doing your job is a complete insult to your customers.

Here, let me TL:DR it for actual people:

Sheepy: I'm making a change!
Customers: We don't like it!
Sheepy: Do you have any better ideas?
Customers: have been offering better ideas for over two years
Customers: insulted

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

My suggestion is that you leave it this way permanently and run the game servers off a watermill affixed to the river of playerbase tears.

• Haha 5

Le1AjCa.png

So, I just want to be the voice for micros here, as I feel that someone needs to know this.  I am in a micro alliance with 4 or 5 nations, and we get raided frequently already, but removing beige would DESTROY the alliance, as we would not be able to rebuild.  Perma-raids and blockades would destroy our nations because we would not be able to trade or rebuild from the raids. Micros, including myself, already have trouble from being raided, but this would be a nightmare, and the micro alliances would never be able to grow, as they would be infinitely raided. But I just felt like adding this in as I think its important to look at what would happen to the micros and micro alliances and how they would be affected by this as well, because without beige, which protects nations from further raiding, new players would never be able to grow, as they would be raided into oblivion. But, that's just my input.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Alex said:

No - I do not think it's worth keeping it around any longer, for it causes too many issues moderation-wise.

However, with the most recent war changes (massive casualty reductions) I think that in a large-scale war without beige it would not be as punitive as it would have been pre-war changes, so I am less concerned about not having an immediate replacement.

@Alex, what about raids on micros? The micros matter too! I know not everybody cares about micros, but the micros matter. I'm in a micro alliance, and beige is one of the most vital things to surviving as a micro, because it helps them survive. You need to think about us micros, not just the macros and their WW3 stuff, or whatever. I personally would prefer you keep beige, or find an alternative instead of just kicking it to the curb. If you remove it, then the new players will not be able to grow, and will most likely just leave because, WHO FRICKIN' LIKES INFINITE RAIDS! Nobody would want to play in that nightmare, which would mean that the growth would probably stagnate. But, I hope you see this, because I feel this should be considered as well.

• Upvote 1

Reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaally looking forward to this next global. Can't wait for half the player base to quit entirely while the other half battles eachother into oblivion until everyone is zeroed. 

Maybe Alex needs to lose his revenue entirely before he learns how to listen to his player base. 

P.S. I'm starting a CN account, anyone know a good alliance to join?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Akuryo said:

I will once again toss my hat in the ring to offer my services as Alex's moderation doppelganger.

I promise to be the most biased unbiased moderator ever! I can assure this because when you accuse of me being biased towards you, I'll laugh as I write up my many fan fictions of every single one of you getting rolled into Oblivion and made a pet servant to roquentin himself!

Indeed you can rest assured my decisions will be pure hearted and just, because I truly, deep down, want to see all of you crash down into catastrophic hellfire from which there is no escape.

And really, if we're gonna have a world where some apathetic nutcase destroys everything around you, why not pick the apathetic nutcase who will make sure it's a damn pretty explosion as it goes! Why, if we're going to be beset upon by Satan, why stop there? Hire Literally, Actually Satan Akuryo and go that extra mile in total unapologetic damnation of you and all you love!

Vote Akuryo for Game Moderator today, and let this be your face of eternal damnation and bullshit calls! *

Untitled_Artwork.png

*All reactions including downvotes counted as in Favor responses

tenor.gif

Something that all of these recent changes have in common is that they all kill raiding. Raiding is a crucial aspect of the game because it requires alliances to be on their toes at all times and makes it so nobody ever truly feels safe. But Alex doesn't seem to like raiding as a mechanic which is a shame. The steep learning curve to this game is actually what intrigued me and it's the reason I kept playing. But all of these changes cater only to casuals and pixel huggers so the people who actually put some time into the game are left with dumbed down mechanics. Raiding requires teamwork and strategy but now the meta is build big military, farm for months, win. RIP Mythic

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Since nations and alliances no longer need to practice discipline of beiging a nation, people can now just zero someone out, send resistance to 0 and re-slot instantly. HOORAY no more strategy required.  

Isn't that the point? You can't abuse a game mechanic then when it goes away complain about wanting it back. If people can't just leave stuff that benefits everyone alone we wouldn't have this problem.

And there is no reason to fake outrage when hardly anyone wanted to be fair and use things nicely beforehand. Pixel hugging and farming seems to be the only strategy people are comfortable with. Being mundane and following maybe one to three peoples orders is what's allowed(maybe this simulation really has no hope).

PS There was outrage about being pinned forever but it was brushed off as people "complaining too much".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

@Deulos

Hate to say this but I have to agree. Being zeroed indefinitely has been a complaint long before this thread. Is perma-blockading ok when "disciplined" alliances do it? I'm seeing that argument here a lot anyways. The war system is fundamentally flawed, but why so much outrage now?

*unprotected micros left the server*

but seriously Alex, people asked you to fix the beige, they did NOT ask you to get rid of it.

absolutely agree with what @Justin076 has said above. Besides that, after you killed raiding with your previous 'update', you are now set to kill the war system altogether, even if we assume you don't care about the small micros (that might actually be true) who don't have much presence on forums or discord, there are fairly big alliances whose entire economies are supported by war, what are they gonna do now? whale-up like everyone else and live a happy peaceful life? that's not why we became pirates.

And since we all agree that this update is bad, I'd request @Adrienne, @Valkorion Baratheon, @Lord Tyrion, @Prefonteen or @Sphinx to come up with something of this sort (a pledge not to perma-roll unprotected players or just anyone out of the NAP until there's an alternative in place) 

• Upvote 2

tvPWtuA.gif