Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dr James Wilson

Racist Embargo

Recommended Posts

Not to be rude or post in a no discussion thread @Alex, but this person has continued to use this reason in more embargo's and it's been two days since I reported it.

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that calling someone "white" is racist. AFAIK, "white" is not a racial slur or derogatory term. I'm open to having a discussion about it, though.

  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Dude come on.   You don't see a problem with him saying "That's Mighty White of you?" after he had an interaction with Harry Flashman where he called him a racist over a message asking him to move from the black color bloc to the white color bloc?   Fine.   If it isn't racist, the man is simply labeling me a racist and I reaffirm my report.   This guy is clearly indicating that I'm white and that makes me a racist.   Delete the damn embargos at least and tell him to knock it off.

Edited by Dr James Wilson
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex said:

I don't think that calling someone "white" is racist. AFAIK, "white" is not a racial slur or derogatory term. I'm open to having a discussion about it, though.

I see the fact that you did not lock the thread, as is customary when you make a ruling, to suggest that you wanted to have said discussion here, despite the general rules of this subforum. Sorry if I am wrong.

 

'That's mighty white of you,' read any way you want, is racism. It implies that Wilson does x thing, which Buck believes is undesireable, because he is white: therefore implying that a bad thing, in Buck's eyes, is associated with color.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr James Wilson said:

Dude come on.   You don't see a problem with him saying "That's Mighty White of you?" after he had an interaction with Harry Flashman where he called him a racist over a message asking him to move from the black color bloc to the white color bloc?  

How did you manage to get triggered by a joke?   

 

 

Brb embargoing you.

  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Nexa said:

How did you manage to get triggered by a joke?   

 

 

Brb embargoing you.

I've heard of people not being able to tell the time, but not what order things happened in. You embargoed him long before you said you were going to, ffs I embargoed you before you said you were embargoing him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Mr. Goober said:

So, could one potentially embargo saying, "That's mighty black of you"? Or would that be frowned upon?

I wouldnt mind lmao. And def wouldnt come to forum reporting it.

 

Edit: Also i need to do forum posts before embargoing?

 You just reported guy for making a joke.

 

Edited by Nexa
Edit.
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nexa said:

I wouldnt mind lmao. And def wouldnt come to forum reporting it.

Your forum account name isn't the same as your leader name, you might want to change that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nexa said:

I wouldnt mind lmao. And def wouldnt come to forum reporting it.

 

Edit: Also i need to do forum posts before embargoing?

 You just reported guy for making a joke.

 

You literally haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about and you're clearly only here to cause a problem.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, namukara said:

Your forum account name isn't the same as your leader name, you might want to change that.

Duh. Will wait you to report me.  For that we would need different post so we dont derail it.

 

Discussion is about someone making a JOKE and someone running here to report that.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't think that calling someone "white" is racist. AFAIK, "white" is not a racial slur or derogatory term. I'm open to having a discussion about it, though.

The most logical thing I see here is to just remove anyone mentioning skin colour. Problem solved.

Otherwise there is always going to be a lot of a grey area in regards to these matters and it's pretty hard to appease both sides.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Keegoz said:

The most logical thing I see here is to just remove anyone mentioning skin colour. Problem solved.

Otherwise there is always going to be a lot of a grey area in regards to these matters and it's pretty hard to appease both sides.

A 'grey area' meaning unsure things? Things that might not even exist?

 

Grey zombies are very offended.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Mr. Goober pointed out, I don't think this would be tolerated if the word 'black' was used instead of 'white'. If someone said 'thats very black of you' in response to something in-game, I think they would be punished if it was reported (and rightly so). 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, namukara said:

A 'grey area' meaning unsure things? Things that might not even exist?

 

Grey zombies are very offended.

You're either a poor troll or someone with a few screws loose.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It was a reference to the colour block - you have been playing the game long enough to know what colour blocks are, haven't you?

Also, @Dr James Wilson the expression "Mighty white of you" is a common expression in many parts of North America from Texas to Alberta - it means 'That's a nice thing you did'. Are you labeling the entire Midwest racist?

@Alex I am being harassed by a group of people who have harassed me before, specifically Alexio15, Randy Savage (who used to go by the name Stephanie McMahon, and was banned for harassing me several years ago). Please consider this an official reporting, following my PM on the matter. They are harassing me in game, and making false reports like this one. For some reason, I received a strike at that time too, even though i was defending myself against a cabal of online bullies.

For those who don't know the backstory, the TFP leader asked me to participate in getting everyone to join the White block a day or 2 after George Floyd was killed, and I trolled him in jest about it, threatened to report him and swore to destroy his nation (again, in jest - he is the leader of a friend's alliance, so I thought he understood my sense of humour, but apparently he understands very little in general). I meant to convey to him how easily his effort could be misconstrued, and call him out for his insensitive timing at the very least.

It's enough. Please do something about this manufactured drama and in game harassment. You told us at the time, @Alex that we should not speak to each other, and Ihave held up my end of the bargain, and they have breached it. I am sure Historia s in there somewhere...

@Thalmor You are right, "Mighty black of you" has no historical context and would not be a play on the colour block.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mighty white of you

John Wayne uses the expresson in most of his westerns, and  learned it when someone said it to me when lived in Alberta.

Edited by Buck Turgidson
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jackpoe I think if you investigate further, I am not the one you should be disgusted with.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Keegoz said:

You're either a poor troll or someone with a few screws loose.

Only a few? Now I'm the one who's offended, Those who know me would agree that you'd be lucky to find one of my screws that isn't loose.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hime-sama said:

Personally, it seems pretty clear he is using white in a derogatory way. While the other context is missing, and cannot be proven unless said in game, the way the embargo is written suggests some kind of problem/stereotype with being white. That’s my perception, at least.

Edit: If this is breaking NDR, apologies, I figured you meant have a discussion here, but probably not.

Your ignorance of common expressions does not make me racist. In fact, i wonder now if you are projecting. Why do you think white is a reference to race?

4 hours ago, namukara said:

I see the fact that you did not lock the thread, as is customary when you make a ruling, to suggest that you wanted to have said discussion here, despite the general rules of this subforum. Sorry if I am wrong.

 

'That's mighty white of you,' read any way you want, is racism. It implies that Wilson does x thing, which Buck believes is undesireable, because he is white: therefore implying that a bad thing, in Buck's eyes, is associated with color.

Nope it is a common expression and reference to the White Colour block. Why would you think it is racist - very strange connection to make.

3 hours ago, Mr. Goober said:

So, could one potentially embargo saying, "That's mighty black of you"? Or would that be frowned upon?

f their colour block was Black, not an issue. If it was not, yeah it might be a racist reference. What was his colour block when I embargoed him again?

3 hours ago, Dr James Wilson said:

You literally haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about and you're clearly only here to cause a problem.

Nor do you, and you are doing the same thing. Are you accustomed to accusing people of things you are guilty of?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Keegoz said:

The most logical thing I see here is to just remove anyone mentioning skin colour. Problem solved.

Otherwise there is always going to be a lot of a grey area in regards to these matters and it's pretty hard to appease both sides.

This is exactly correct. And it was my point when I trolled Harry - given what is going on, the timing of a White Colour block move could be easily misconstrued. I was actually trying to help him, and he was too thick to understand. I thought Cromwell would fill him in on my sense of humour, which is admittedly brazen.

I will keep replying to this thread until it is locked, but after re-reading my responses, I think a trend isemerging.

Edited by Buck Turgidson
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

~snips~

Thanks for the extra information, but 'historic context' doesn't automatically mean it's okay. There are plenty of insulting slang and phrases associated with Black Americans or Asian Americans that I could use that have historic roots, but doing so would caused me to get banned from the forums. 

I also think it's weird that you say it refers to the color trade bloc, but then you bring up the historic angle. What did you mean to say in your embargo message?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You keep saying that I wanted to recruit ‘everyone’ onto the white bloc, which is a complete lie; and that’s important given the context of your assumptions.  My original message, which Alex has seen and can confirm, asked you specifically.  Given your one man alliance and high score it seemed an honest request, and had nothing to do with any particular colour, I’d have done the same if we were on Olive, Red or Green.  Your subsequent messages, which you freely admit to be trolling (a strike under the game rules), were filled with vile attacks on me.  So either you were weren’t trolling, which makes your reactions somewhat outrageous, but perhaps understandable given the emotion of the George Floyd situation, or you were trolling about the matter of race because it amused you to do so.

As I said, Alex has the messages and cleared me entirely of any wrongdoing, but he didn’t you.  I’m happy to walk away from this provided I’m not walking away with a false accusation of racism hanging over me; you were wrong and if you don’t know it, you should.

Edited by Harry Flashman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

It was a reference to the colour block - you have been playing the game long enough to know what colour blocks are, haven't you?

Also, @Dr James Wilson the expression "Mighty white of you" is a common expression in many parts of North America from Texas to Alberta - it means 'That's a nice thing you did'. Are you labeling the entire Midwest racist?

@Alex I am being harassed by a group of people who have harassed me before, specifically Alexio15, Randy Savage (who used to go by the name Stephanie McMahon, and was banned for harassing me several years ago). Please consider this an official reporting, following my PM on the matter. They are harassing me in game, and making false reports like this one. For some reason, I received a strike at that time too, even though i was defending myself against a cabal of online bullies.

For those who don't know the backstory, the TFP leader asked me to participate in getting everyone to join the White block a day or 2 after George Floyd was killed, and I trolled him in jest about it, threatened to report him and swore to destroy his nation (again, in jest - he is the leader of a friend's alliance, so I thought he understood my sense of humour, but apparently he understands very little in general). I meant to convey to him how easily his effort could be misconstrued, and call him out for his insensitive timing at the very least.

It's enough. Please do something about this manufactured drama and in game harassment. You told us at the time, @Alex that we should not speak to each other, and Ihave held up my end of the bargain, and they have breached it. I am sure Historia s in there somewhere...

@Thalmor You are right, "Mighty black of you" has no historical context and would not be a play on the colour block.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mighty white of you

John Wayne uses the expresson in most of his westerns, and  learned it when someone said it to me when lived in Alberta.

This is ridiculous.   Number one.   What?   I'm not on the White color bloc so why would you be making a color bloc joke against me.   And considering what's happened in the midwest (a region infamous for its racism like the south) now, perhaps!   I wouldn't know because I'm not from the midwest.   And because that's something acceptable to some people, that doesn't mean it is to anyone else or that it's ok to say it you clown.

 

Maybe we should post your conversation with Harry here for all to see and let everyone judge you themselves if you want to play this game and to keep you from lying blatantly.    You accused Harry of being a racist.   You followed it up by embargoing me with "That's Mighty White of you."  because I shamed you with an embargo.  You don't get to say it was a joke or in jest after the fact.   That doesn't just excuse everything you fool when everything you did that day displayed nothing but the complete opposite of it being a joke.   And if it was "in jest" what sort of sick frick are you to jest and joke like that?

 

Literally makes you no better then someone saying something racist or highly offensive and going, "Oh, but I was only joking!" after the fact.   

Edited by Dr James Wilson
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the Guidelines of the game and community.