Racist Embargo

Dr James Wilson

33 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Your ignorance of common expressions does not make me racist. In fact, i wonder now if you are projecting. Why do you think white is a reference to race?

Common expressions, so "common" nobody else in this thread happened to know what it was? Yeah, right... Did you even read the urban dictionary definition you posted? It is literally about race.

• Upvote 2

Look up to the sky above~

19 minutes ago, Thalmor said:

Thanks for the extra information, but 'historic context' doesn't automatically mean it's okay. There are plenty of insulting slang and phrases associated with Black Americans or Asian Americans that I could use that have historic roots, but doing so would caused me to get banned from the forums. 

I also think it's weird that you say it refers to the color trade bloc, but then you bring up the historic angle. What did you mean to say in your embargo message?

This whole subject, including the embargoes that I was responding to, were about the colour block. I made no historical reference at all, other than to say it has been an expression in the English language for a very long time. I was using the expression as it is used today, which was a play on words because their colour block was White. Do you get it now or shall I repeat myself more slowly at higher volume?

• Upvote 1

Are you originally from Earth, too?

Proud owner of Harry's goat. It's mine now.

I now own MinesomeMC's goat, too. It's starting to look like a herd.

Yep, it is a herd. Aldwulf has added his goat, too, and it ain't Irish.

6 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

This whole subject, including the embargoes that I was responding to, were about the colour block. I made no historical reference at all, other than to say it has been an expression in the English language for a very long time. I was using the expression as it is used today, which was a play on words because their colour block was White. Do you get it now or shall I repeat myself more slowly at higher volume?

It isn't used today. You might have realised that from the fact nobody but you has heard of it.

13 minutes ago, Dr James Wilson said:

This is ridiculous.   Number one.   What?   I'm not on the White color bloc so why would you be making a color bloc joke against me.   And considering what's happened in the midwest (a region infamous for its racism like the south) now, perhaps!   I wouldn't know because I'm not from the midwest.   And because that's something acceptable to some people, that doesn't mean it is to anyone else or that it's ok to say it you clown.

Maybe we should post your conversation with Harry here for all to see and let everyone judge you themselves if you want to play this game and to keep you from lying blatantly.    You accused Harry of being a racist.   You followed it up by embargoing me with "That's Mighty White of you."  because I shamed you with an embargo.  You don't get to say it was a joke or in jest after the fact.   That doesn't just excuse everything you fool when everything you did that day displayed nothing but the complete opposite of it being a joke.   And if it was "in jest" what sort of sick frick are you to jest and joke like that?

Literally makes you no better then someone saying something racist or highly offensive and going, "Oh, but I was only joking!" after the fact.   

Like WOW. I know that the Midwest is not a race, but that is an incredibly prejudicial brush you are using to paint entire sections of 2 countries. I know it because I have travelled a lot, and because I know how to read, and have watched movies. It's literally as common assaying "That's was kind of you" in a sarcastic tone, or "Thanks a lot". You are the clown - you might have googled it before trying to report me. Super glad I did not accept to join your alliance.

I checked each nation's colour block before posting that reason for the embargo. Only one of you was nation the white colour block, and I gave a different reason for that. What part of my reference to your colour block did you not understand?

Harry already posted my conversation as  understand it, but no problem to share it - ask him. It was super-obviously a joke, but he is obviously purposely trying to misunderstand it like you are. 

You have now called me a liar - the onus of proof is on you. You are clearly trolling to try to turn this into something more than it ever was - who is the main agitator? I wll go out on a limb and say it is one of the cabal I mentioned earlier, and you are just a stooge.

I do not mean the following to be trolling: I work with autistic people, and not understanding humour and sarcasm in particular is a key flag for the condition. Seriously, look it up.

22 minutes ago, Hime-sama said:

Common expressions, so "common" nobody else in this thread happened to know what it was? Yeah, right... Did you even read the urban dictionary definition you posted? It is literally about race.

I am aware of its historical origin, which is why I posted the link so you could understand that I was using it in the modern form. The expression is no longer about race.

I have lived in 3 Canadian provinces, worked in 6 of them, lived on 3 continents, worked in 40 countries, and speak 5 languages. Believe me when I say I know far more expressions than some kid still living at home...

• Upvote 1

TOP DEFINITION

Originally used under colonialism and before civil rights, this phrase expressed appreciation for honorable or gracious behavior, under the assumption that white people were inherently more virtuous. Today, it is generally used sarcastically in reference to underwhelming acts of generosity.
In Jamaica in 1765:

A: I built the slaves a church to hang out in on Sundays, even though I didn't have to.
B: Well, that's mighty white of you.

You are a sick, delusional frick.   You know exactly what you did.   No, Harry has not posted your insanely offensive messages here on the forums, but now he is.   There's your google search.

Here you go @Alex.  Pass the buck on this now.
Edited by Dr James Wilson
  • Downvote 2

:nyan:The Volleyball :nyan: 

Avanti Immortali

..one, two, Jimmy's coming for you...

45 minutes ago, Harry Flashman said:

You keep saying that I wanted to recruit ‘everyone’ onto the white bloc, which is a complete lie; and that’s important given the context of your assumptions.  My original message, which Alex has seen and can confirm, asked you specifically.  Given your one man alliance and high score it seemed an honest request, and had nothing to do with any particular colour, I’d have done the same if we were on Olive, Red or Green.  Your subsequent messages, which you freely admit to be trolling (a strike under the game rules), were filled with vile attacks on me.  So either you were weren’t trolling, which makes your reactions somewhat outrageous, but perhaps understandable given the emotion of the George Floyd situation, or you were trolling about the matter of race because it amused you to do so.

As I said, Alex has the messages and cleared me entirely of any wrongdoing, but he didn’t you.  I’m happy to walk away from this provided I’m not walking away with a false accusation of racism hanging over me; you were wrong and if you don’t know it, you should.

You are an idiot, and the fact that you still cannot admit that what you were doing was insensitive and apologize makes me wonder if I was right in the first place. Have you seen how all the people around you equate White with a race rather than a colour block? Judge a man by the friends he keeps.

6 minutes ago, Dr James Wilson said:
TOP DEFINITION

Today, it is generally used sarcastically in reference to underwhelming acts of generosity.

So if you are calling me racist, what was this thread about again? Where do you stand on what Harry did?

Edited by Buck Turgidson
  • Upvote 1

It's a racist comment.   I bet you'd never say that to someone of color.   Your balls ain't that big.

Avanti Immortali

12 minutes ago, namukara said:

It isn't used today. You might have realised that from the fact nobody but you has heard of it.

Just because a small number of children in this game have not does not mean that it is not used. I have heard people use the expression first when I lived in Alberta, and heard it regularly when I lived in Dubai. Never heard it in Quebec or Belgium through. As I said, it is an expression in the midwest. Want to hear more expressions from places outside your mom's basement? Try travelling.

Just now, Dr James Wilson said:

It's a racist comment.   I bet you'd never say that to someone of color.   Your balls ain't that big.

'someone of colour'

Do you really see people that way? I am a member of 4 races. What colours fit into your definition of 'someone of colour'? Rather, which races do not? Go on, I will wait for your answer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Just because a small number of children in this game have not does not mean that it is not used. I have heard people use the expression first when I lived in Alberta, and heard it regularly when I lived in Dubai. Never heard it in Quebec or Belgium through. As I said, it is an expression in the midwest. Want to hear more expressions from places outside your mom's basement? Try travelling.

'someone of colour'

Do you really see people that way? I am a member of 4 races. What colours fit into your definition of 'someone of colour'? Rather, which races do not? Go on, I will wait for your answer.

LMAO, the racist is accusing me of being a racist.   This is so sad and pathetic.

Avanti Immortali

15 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

I am aware of its historical origin, which is why I posted the link so you could understand that I was using it in the modern form. The expression is no longer about race.

I have lived in 3 Canadian provinces, worked in 6 of them, lived on 3 continents, worked in 40 countries, and speak 5 languages. Believe me when I say I know far more expressions than some kid still living at home...

I get you're acting like a victim and all, but you don't need to get this defensive where you start attacking other people. The expression is still about race, so maybe you need to relearn how to read the English language. Let me quote it for you: "Today, it is generally used sarcastically in reference to underwhelming acts of generosity." It is used sarcastically because in today's world society no longer views white people as inherently virtuous, so yes, it's still about race. In fact, the sarcasm can go as far as to say white people are inherently unvirtuous, which is the context in which you were using it in your embargo.

Edited by Hime-sama
  • Like 2

Look up to the sky above~

1 minute ago, Dr James Wilson said:

LMAO, the racist is accusing me of being a racist.   This is so sad and pathetic.

That was a racist thing to say, and the fact that you do not understand why makes this a teachable moment. You will come to understand why when you answer my question.

Again, which races do not fall into 'someone of colour'?

Just now, Hime-sama said:

I get you're acting like a victim and all, but you don't need to get this defensive where you start attacking other people. The expression is still about race, so maybe you need to relearn how to read the English language. Let me quote it for you: "Today, it is generally used sarcastically in reference to underwhelming acts of generosity." It is used sarcastically because in today's world society no longer views white people as inherently virtuous, so yes, it's still about race. In fact, the sarcasm can go as far as to say white people are not virtuous, which is the context in which you were using it in your embargo.

I am being attacked for making a play on words about a colour block. I will post the conversation with Harry now so you can understand.

• Like 1

I'm honestly at a loss as to what you're going for here, but citing your usage and reliability of google search

Now, tell me the last time you've made that remark to someone who wasn't white.   Go Ahead, I'll wait.

per·son of col·or

noun
plural noun: people of color
  1. a person who is not white or of European parentage.
    "the varied experiences of people of color"

Avanti Immortali

18 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Like WOW. I know that the Midwest is not a race, but that is an incredibly prejudicial brush you are using to paint entire sections of 2 countries. I know it because I have travelled a lot, and because I know how to read, and have watched movies. It's literally as common assaying "That's was kind of you" in a sarcastic tone, or "Thanks a lot". You are the clown - you might have googled it before trying to report me. Super glad I did not accept to join your alliance.

I checked each nation's colour block before posting that reason for the embargo. Only one of you was nation the white colour block, and I gave a different reason for that. What part of my reference to your colour block did you not understand?

Harry already posted my conversation as  understand it, but no problem to share it - ask him. It was super-obviously a joke, but he is obviously purposely trying to misunderstand it like you are. 

You have now called me a liar - the onus of proof is on you. You are clearly trolling to try to turn this into something more than it ever was - who is the main agitator? I wll go out on a limb and say it is one of the cabal I mentioned earlier, and you are just a stooge.

I do not mean the following to be trolling: I work with autistic people, and not understanding humour and sarcasm in particular is a key flag for the condition. Seriously, look it up.

Hey,

I'm autistic. I'm also a law student; in the past I have volunteered with Samaritans, a university-based counselling service, and now hold several counselling qualifications. I understand humour and sarcasm pretty well, thank you...I also understand when people are using it as an excuse to get out of being called out for their shitty behaviour.

Perhaps you might look better if you'd just apologised for your comment rather than further attacking people and making irrelevant and false generalisations. Just a thought.

• Upvote 4

Judge for yourselves folks - Harry got emotional and accused me of being the emotional one. Now I am acccusedof racsm by racists over the same reason - an easily misunderstood connection between race and colour block.

Thank you all for participating  in this live broadcast to raise awareness about what is clearly a global problem.

image.thumb.png.d0f28c782fa013bddcd296ea54d63b2c.png

image.thumb.png.59ab09374e2ccf95eddc013f33e86ee9.png

image.thumb.png.32dc2c27a0ccfc579ec0deb25edf8e09.png

image.thumb.png.e793a13d44597e4401f05227a0d3c946.png

image.thumb.png.85111d388d9edc2f7c99c3a3ccc27e17.png

image.thumb.png.f5d6c2d662322602cf86081d4c20572d.png

3 minutes ago, Dr James Wilson said:

I'm honestly at a loss as to what you're going for here, but citing your usage and reliability of google search

Now, tell me the last time you've made that remark to someone who wasn't white.   Go Ahead, I'll wait.

per·son of col·or

noun
plural noun: people of color
  1. a person who is not white or of European parentage.
    "the varied experiences of people of color"

Ok so you meant it as a racist term. I just do not see the world that way and prefer to appreciate individuals for more than their categorisaton by race. Thank you for your transparency.

I guess you will now say that is a common expression, but no one in my basement uses it so you are wrong.

• Upvote 2

image0.png

image1.png

image0.png

image0.png?width=309&height=670

image0.png?width=894&height=670

image0.png

Defend that, you piece of garbage.   That is all so offensive, I can't believe you have the gall to stand their and act like you're the one in the right in this situation.

@Alex This is entirely your fault.   If you had issued a nation strike over this ridiculous, offensive chain of messages, this "man" might never have embargo'd me with what is proven to be a racist remark from colonial times and popularized in the mid-west during the Jim Crow Era.   

LOL you posted everything too!   Damn, I wish I saw it first and saved myself the trouble.   How you think this makes you look good is ridiculous

Edited by Dr James Wilson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Avanti Immortali

I would like to point out that due to the racial connotations of the phrase "Mighty white of you" which originated in the Southern United States in the 20th century, it is used ironically when it is used. The phrase "Play the white man" which comes from Britain is a play on the American phrase, it too has been used in racist ways. I grew up in Ireland and Great Britain and live in the Southern US and have heard both phrases used, I have never heard it used in the manner in which Buck is trying to say he used it. Furthermore, why would you use an embargo which is a thing you do when you disagree with someone and use this phrase? That only exacerbates the point that Harry has made that it was used in a negative way. 

It should also be noted that the US version of the phrase has been noted to have been used seriously in the context of "like a white man, not like a n****"

I would also point out that it's common for white to be capitalized to "White" when it's being used in a racial connotation (you can see in Buck's posts that he has in fact capitalized the word white, the expression he is trying to argue for however does not have white capitalized). Ignorance of something being racist does not excuse it from being a racist statement. 

Edited by Kiloist II
Changed how to mighty - was a misquote of the phrase.
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Dr James Wilson said:

image0.png

image1.png

image0.png

image0.png?width=309&height=670

image0.png?width=894&height=670

image0.png

Defend that, you piece of garbage.   That is all so offensive, I can't believe you have the gall to stand their and act like you're the one in the right in this situation.

@Alex This is entirely your fault.   If you had issued a nation strike over this ridiculous, offensive chain of messages, this "man" might never have embargo'd me with what is proven to be a racist remark from colonial times and popularized in the mid-west during the Jim Crow Era.   

I already posted this in less than potato quality, and it is obviously trolling.

You know that in Spain, the word for 'Gentleman' is Caballero. Caballero originally meant 'horseman' or 'Knight'. Today, t means 'gentleman'. expressons change in meaning over time. The expression I used was indeed used in the Jim Crow era, and also meant 'that is civilised of you' - it dates back further than that by far. It no longer means the same thing - catch up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Buck Turgidson said:

I already posted this in less than potato quality, and it is obviously trolling.

You know that in Spain, the word for 'Gentleman' is Caballero. Caballero originally meant 'horseman' or 'Knight'. Today, t means 'gentleman'. expressons change in meaning over time. The expression I used was indeed used in the Jim Crow era, and also meant 'that is civilised of you' - it dates back further than that by far. It no longer means the same thing - catch up.

Damn, you're right!

Now it means 'I have a clever-looking way of explaining away being racist, and I think it will work.'

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kiloist II said:

I would like to point out that due to the racial connotations of the phrase "How white of you" which originated in the Southern United States in the 20th century, it is used ironically when it is used. The phrase "Play the white man" which comes from Britain is a play on the American phrase, it too has been used in racist ways. I grew up in Ireland and Great Britain and live in the Southern US and have heard both phrases used, I have never heard it used in the manner in which Buck is trying to say he used it. Furthermore, why would you use an embargo which is a thing you do when you disagree with someone and use this phrase? That only exacerbates the point that Harry has made that it was used in a negative way. 

It should also be noted that the US version of the phrase has been noted to have been used seriously in the context of "like a white man, not like a n****"

I would also point out that it's common for white to be capitalized to "White" when it's being used in a racial connotation (you can see in Buck's posts that he has in fact capitalized the word white, the expression he is trying to argue for however does not have white capitalized). Ignorance of something being racist does not excuse it from being a racist statement. 

the expression I used was "Mighty white of you", not play the white man lol. That is literally a term referring to the race of a person of a specific gender.

My embargoes were counter-embargoes against a bunch of people from the white colour block who didn't lke me calling them out for the insensitive timing of their push for the White colour block. How do you feel about that issue?

Youre trolling using accusations of racism?   Is that meant to be a legitimate defense of your words?   Is that really the hill you're dying on right now?   And to compare it to a word that used to mean Knight and now mean's gentleman?   Knights were supposed to be men of chivalry you ignorant buffoon.   That is barely a change at all.   You do understand what chivalry is right?  Like, what are you even doing here right now.

Avanti Immortali

the expression I used was "Mighty white of you", not play the white man lol. That is literally a term referring to the race of a person of a specific gender.

My embargoes were counter-embargoes against a bunch of people from the white colour block who didn't lke me calling them out for the insensitive timing of their push for the White colour block. How do you feel about that issue?

I think that's already been explained quite thoroughly. Harry was attempting to get a single large member in a one-man alliance to join his color bloc.

Incidentally, (assuming you're not already I really can't be arsed checking) would you like to join red?

1 minute ago, namukara said:

Damn, you're right!

Now it means 'I have a clever-looking way of explaining away being racist, and I think it will work.'

Ok so let's be clear n how badly this has devolved:

1) I called you guys out for something that could easily be construed as racism.

2) So you people preemptively reported me in fear that I would carry through on my trolling. Beat me to the punch.

3) then gang up on me for calling out potential racism.

4) and call me a racist because  referred to your colour block, which was the problem n the first place.

Actually, if we're going by the definitions of both, they mean the same thing. Thanks for admitting it was referring to the race of a person. 

I also think that you're the one who initially invoked race into this. As, I was in the discussion with Harry when he brought up asking some high income nations/alliance to join the white colour bloc. You went baiting. Took a big swing and you're still staring at the fences while the ball is sitting in the catcher's mitt. I would suggest you educate yourself more before using outdated phrases that do in fact have racial connotations associated with them. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Dr James Wilson said:

Youre trolling using accusations of racism?   Is that meant to be a legitimate defense of your words?   Is that really the hill you're dying on right now?   And to compare it to a word that used to mean Knight and now mean's gentleman?   Knights were supposed to be men of chivalry you ignorant buffoon.   That is barely a change at all.   You do understand what chivalry is right?  Like, what are you even doing here right now.

I am literally trolling you for being stupid AND dishonest.