Game Update Advisory Council

Changeup

There use to be a closed group of players who were around since close to the beginning of the game's creation that Alex would speak to. I forgot the name of it, but it wasn't exactly an official thing either. I haven't heard anyone mention it in a while so I think it isn't around anymore, but having something like that return would be a good idea.

Or, perhaps, have Alex speak more to VIPs because it could be argued they contribute to the game's financial success. The subset of people with VIPs is fairly large and from all over the game, so I think that removes bias. 

Kastor's idea is also pretty solid.

I think anything is better than what the situation is now. Alex seems to make decisions on a whim, and there's no clear reasoning behind them. Hell, I'd be satisfied with the status quo remaining, but we at least get an explanation as to why certain decisions are made and executed the way they are. 

Edited by Thalmor
Type
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

new_forum_sig_2.png

The reason I don't think decisions should be made by direct democracy or a council of elites is because this game should try to appeal to as many people as possible with different play styles. If we do go with some type of UN, micros should have equal representation to macros kinda like the U.S Senate. Altogether, micros make up a sizeable player base and shouldn't be ignored.

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2020 at 3:17 PM, KingGhost said:

This is why I primarily think this is a bad idea. From personal experience what’s going to end up happening is each of the groups of people working together will argue with other groups in order to benefit themselves. It just turns into a shit show where people leak messages of what other people say etc etc. 

a committe sounds good on paper but good luck finding a group of people completely unbiased and won’t argue with each other over personal grudges.

Sure, sure, but right now it's literally just a council of Prefontaine.

How is the status quo any better?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:34 PM, Kastor said:

I have a wayyyy better idea that doesn't involve taking away any autonomy from @Alex and stops the "insiders" from getting an unfair advantage(for instance, someone told me about the changes a day before, while all the info wasn't there, enough was, and this, and others were able to plan for bits and pieces of it. That isn't fair for the average player.)

Solution: Put a 14 day hold on any changes, the announcement comes out, but changes don't start for 14 days, this is to allow player input and insight, and also prohibit unfair advantages from the insiders who help with these changes.

That is a fair, tolerable solution that everyone can walk away happy with.

Could we maybe, after hearing about the input, perhaps, try? Dare I ask that the suggestion that we.. Test? new changes on something like a Test server (that works and has the changes coded correctly as they will go into the real game)?

Radical I know. Sorry for shooting off from the hip. But maybe if we could have the changes announced a set period of time in advanced, so if someone knows bauxite is going to be more valuable, everyone has the; in theory equal chance to know about it, then an in theory equal chance to test it out and realize for themselves how important a resource might be, and then have non-zero amount of time that if they want to take advantage of the market in the main game, they have to buy and old on to it for idk, 14 days to 2 months, as to mitigate any profits they would get from suddenly buying lots of bauxite or whatever and then its value increases 40% the next day. Just my humble thoughts. If we couldn't easily make a server to test things on, then I don't want to ask for too much, and we could just not do that.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, KiWilliam said:

Could we maybe, after hearing about the input, perhaps, try? Dare I ask that the suggestion that we.. Test? new changes on something like a Test server (that works and has the changes coded correctly as they will go into the real game)?

Radical I know. Sorry for shooting off from the hip. But maybe if we could have the changes announced a set period of time in advanced, so if someone knows bauxite is going to be more valuable, everyone has the; in theory equal chance to know about it, then an in theory equal chance to test it out and realize for themselves how important a resource might be, and then have non-zero amount of time that if they want to take advantage of the market in the main game, they have to buy and old on to it for idk, 14 days to 2 months, as to mitigate any profits they would get from suddenly buying lots of bauxite or whatever and then its value increases 40% the next day. Just my humble thoughts. If we couldn't easily make a server to test things on, then I don't want to ask for too much, and we could just not do that.

This is incorrect and very misleading, almost all the changes were tested on the test server. The update seems rushed but it really wasn't. If you've been paying attention, you could've seen that an airplane nerf was coming soon. Its literally been the topic of discussion for YEARS on these forums. 

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

23 minutes ago, Epi said:

Like the last 'Council' this will just become a tool for the dominant sphere to push updates favorable to them. The only way to do this would be to make it almost fully transparent and give top 50 alliances equal representation.

Tbh the forums is more efficient.

It would be if Alex actually listened to most of the forum feedback and reworked his updates based on what works and what doesn't.

It's better than the alternative to say the least.

• Upvote 2

You were told, and you were able to vote on the changes on the FORUMS and you even got to test the new updates on the TEST SERVER before they came out live.(I haven't seen any issues with the last updates ONLY bugs that were fixed completely)
What rule changes? There wasn't a change in the rules about taking bounties or buying treasures, however Slot Filling was & IS against the game rules but someone was clever enough to report it as such.

As for people suggesting changes and updates, you have a section in the forums which is called game suggestions and if your suggestion is good enough players will up vote it and therefore suggesting it to Admin himself.. Having 5-6 players that Alex sees more worthy and listens to them more than the entire players and alliances as mentioned above by others will do nothing except mess the game up!

On 5/25/2020 at 10:49 PM, Kastor said:

This is incorrect and very misleading, almost all the changes were tested on the test server. The update seems rushed but it really wasn't. If you've been paying attention, you could've seen that an airplane nerf was coming soon. Its literally been the topic of discussion for YEARS on these forums. 

Misleading? I'm not saying that it wasn't tested, incorrectly, or at all, on a Test server. I asked for it be tested correctly as it would be implemented on the main game, same on the test server. If others don't want that, that's their personal opinions. No one is going to read my post and get mislead. You're being misleading by not addressing my actual point.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:44 PM, Thalmor said:

There use to be a closed group of players who were around since close to the beginning of the game's creation that Alex would speak to. I forgot the name of it, but it wasn't exactly an official thing either. I haven't heard anyone mention it in a while so I think it isn't around anymore, but having something like that return would be a good idea.

Ya, the CDD group has been dead for years. The two big problems with it were that it was just a microcosm of the community itself so no one could ever agree on anything and that alex mostly ignored it. The only two suggestions that I think were ever even partially implemented were spy counts and damages being hidden (in 2015) and the resistance mechanics (in 2016, a year after they were proposed). It's literally been dead for over three years with the only posts being me bumping a dead thread every few months about showing alliance trades in the global trade interface and highlighted green.

Honestly, forget the idea of any sort of closed council or whatever you're thinking of and just post in the suggestion thread. If tons of people like it then just ask alex for his response/opinion. Literally the best option when it comes to suggestions.

Edited by Malal

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

On 5/26/2020 at 5:38 AM, SixSadistic66 said:

You were told, and you were able to vote on the changes on the FORUMS and you even got to test the new updates on the TEST SERVER before they came out live.(I haven't seen any issues with the last updates ONLY bugs that were fixed completely)
What rule changes? There wasn't a change in the rules about taking bounties or buying treasures, however Slot Filling was & IS against the game rules but someone was clever enough to report it as such.

As for people suggesting changes and updates, you have a section in the forums which is called game suggestions and if your suggestion is good enough players will up vote it and therefore suggesting it to Admin himself.. Having 5-6 players that Alex sees more worthy and listens to them more than the entire players and alliances as mentioned above by others will do nothing except mess the game up!

That's not actually the case. At all.

A. the changes tested on the testserver did not include the new kill ratios nor most of the score changes. You know, the two things that people are most concerned about? They were never tested.

B. The testserver is fundamentally different from the main server in many critical ways. First off, there's no actual tiering until several weeks into the tournament. Second, the tiering invariably coalesces into TP$ strangleholding the low tier and someone else taking the high tier, and never the twain shall meet once split. Obviously the mainserver is more complicated than that. Also, test server has a far lower population and runs at 4 times the speed, so there's few people indeed that actually bother to try.

C. We did report treasure transfers and bounty clearing as slot-filling, multiple times. The bounty clearing thing has been a thing for longer than bounties themselves existed on the main server, in fact; we figured out the possibility and reported it within seconds of the mechanics being introduced on the test server. It had been given the shrug of approval ever since.

D. The "game suggestions" forum is a complete misleading lie. Alex does not read that section. AT ALL. It doesn't matter how many upvotes your suggestion gets nor how well received it is, doesn't matter how much effort or planning you put into it, your suggestion will never be seen nor cared about.

E. Alex already does see some individual players as "more worthy" of attention than others. See: Prefontaine alone being able to carry on extended, private conversations with Alex regarding future updates, when the rest of us have nothing but the forums and testserver.

I mean, has anyone other than Pre had the privilege of an in-depth discussion of the development of the game with Alex?

• Upvote 1