Game Update Advisory Council

Changeup

Just now, Changeup said:

good-sized group of well-known and respected players

🙃

HEADERS_CTO12.png

Inform Zigbir I have forgotten how to edit the signature field
Please remind me how to do it post haste!

Just now, Pascal said:

Can bet Alex will just ignore this as he always does

Probably but it's worth bringing up. If the council existed hopefully suggestions would be listened to a bit more.

unknown_3_1_65.png

Just now, Borg said:

Agreed. Though it may be problematic if the council is just a bunch of alliance leaders trying to push their own agenda. Also, why is slot filling controversial now?

Avatar Patrick up there threw a hissyfit over a bounty, so Alex made a bunch of changes to stop people buying treasures and taking bounties.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

unknown_3_1_65.png

3 minutes ago, MCMaster-095 said:

Would the majority opinion not be better than a bunch of changes that literally nobody aside from Alex wants?

For game development, informed decision making is usually better than design by committee, or design by the masses.

Edited by Borg
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Borg said:

Informed decision making is usually better than design by committee, or design by the masses. 

Ideally, the council would be comprised of informed individuals acting in good faith, however, even as a precaution, it should include people from a variety of alliances/spheres, big and small.

Edited by Hime-sama
  • Upvote 6

Look up to the sky above~

Just now, Borg said:

For game development, informed decision making is usually better than design by committee, or design by the masses.

Sadly, Alex’s decision making is far less informed than that of well informed players like Leopold, Valk, Thalmor, etc. Alex has an annoying habit of not thinking through any of the possible consequences of his updates when they happen, and then when said consequences occur that anyone could have predicted, he never admits his fault.

• Upvote 6

Eh bad idea imo. People will push their personal agendas if given a special status.

I’ve seen it happen in other games, heck I’m in a similar thing for a much bigger game and I see it happen in their NDAs as well, people manipulating what they decide to input to change the game. Maybe I’m just have a pessimistic outlook but I would rather have Alex make a post when he has a game changing update and having people post publically why it’s bad or good so everyone can counter it instead of it being in a closed council.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Hime-sama said:

Ideally, the council would be comprised of informed individuals acting in good faith, however, even as a precaution, it should include people from a variety of alliances/spheres, big and small.

My idea was to have 5-6 people, and one from each major sphere of the game + piracy and raiding. Right now, the only person with this power is Prefontaine, and he does what @KingGhost fears much of the time. Only now, there would be five people from different city counts and alliances, preventing the agenda of only one group being pushed.

Edited by Changeup

unknown_3_1_65.png

3 minutes ago, Changeup said:

My idea was to have 5-6 people, and one from each major sphere of the game + piracy and raiding. Right now, the only person with this power is Prefontaine, and he does what @KingGhost fears much of the time. Only now, there would be five people from different city counts and alliances, preventing the agenda of only one group being pushed.

This is why I primarily think this is a bad idea. From personal experience what’s going to end up happening is each of the groups of people working together will argue with other groups in order to benefit themselves. It just turns into a shit show where people leak messages of what other people say etc etc. 

a committe sounds good on paper but good luck finding a group of people completely unbiased and won’t argue with each other over personal grudges.

• Upvote 3

The thing is I don't even consider this to really be a rule change. Just a rule clarification. Alex agreed that making a deal for a bounty is slot filling which is already against the rules. You guys had a different interpretation but regardless, this update would bypass the committee or public debate because it's not actually a change to the rules.

I do think that this will be a good idea if the right people are on it. The people on the Council must be non-bias. People who care for both alliance leaders and members. Raiders and farmers. Whales and fish. Major alliances and micros. The people on the council must have publicly shown their non-bias beliefs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Polar Bear ArcticExplorer said:

I do think that this will be a good idea if the right people are on it. The people on the Council must be non-bias. People who care for both alliance leaders and members. Raiders and farmers. Whales and fish. Major alliances and micros. The people on the council must have publicly shown their non-bias beliefs.

That's nobody though. Everyone has their own vision for what the game should be and why they play it . Even bankers who are officially neutral (and have no ties to any sphere) have a bias in favor of markets and against raiders. The only people you could truly argue are neutral are those like Alex who don't really play the game at all.

• Thanks 2

That's nobody though. Everyone has their own vision for what the game should be and why they play it . Even bankers who are officially neutral (and have no ties to any sphere) have a bias in favor of markets and against raiders. The only people you could truly argue are neutral are those like Alex who don't really play the game at all.

Well, I would consider myself non-bias. I am a banker, but at the same time, I love raiders. I think they are an important part of game culture. In fact, I would be more than happy to serve on such a council.

Edited by Polar Bear ArcticExplorer
Arctic Added On

8 minutes ago, Kastor said:

I have a wayyyy better idea that doesn't involve taking away any autonomy from @Alex and stops the "insiders" from getting an unfair advantage(for instance, someone told me about the changes a day before, while all the info wasn't there, enough was, and this, and others were able to plan for bits and pieces of it. That isn't fair for the average player.)

Solution: Put a 14 day hold on any changes, the announcement comes out, but changes don't start for 14 days, this is to allow player input and insight, and also prohibit unfair advantages from the insiders who help with these changes.

That is a fair, tolerable solution that everyone can walk away happy with.

that's a good idea..

17 hours ago, Borg said:

Agreed. Though it may be problematic if the council is just a bunch of alliance leaders trying to push their own agenda. Also, why is slot filling controversial now?

Slot filling has never been accepted, he just expanded what is considered slot filling that's all.

• Upvote 1