Alternative War Changes

Vali

19 minutes ago, Di Vali said:

how is a common sense war system more complex than flying tanks?

It's only common sense by like, 1950 standards. Common sense these days says battleships don't exist, destroyers are basically just smaller cruisers, all cruisers are missile cruisers and only so big to house helicopters, dedicated air superiority fighters are rare in favor of multirole aircraft that can ground attack and dogfight (even then, the F-22 for example is still capable of limited air to ground engagement soooo), dedicated bombers are either tanky ass A-10s that can fly with 1 engine and 30% of both wings shredded off or are too stealthy or fly too high to be hit, heavy tanks don't exist because they were blended with mediums in the 50s and 60s to create Main Battle Tanks and Light tanks do exist and are one of the only non basic things already in the game described accurately for current "common sense" of actual military units in the OP here. Shoulder mounted AA weapons are useless against anything but helicopters, AA guns as well, SAMs are the only ground based AA worth a damn against jets. Anti tank guns also don't really exist as shoulder mounted anti tank implements are often pretty overkill, especially considering a poorly supported tank is easily outflanked, at which point it'd be vulnerable to even a rifleman tossing a grenade ontop of the engine vents, let alone even a simple RPG-7.

Furthermore how does any of this work? Do I divide my soldier cap up between the options? How effective are medics, or artillery, or anything else? Do different units cost more than others? Why would anyone build anything besides medium tanks (there's a reason heavy tanks became obsolete and people tossed heavy armor on the fronts of mediums, gave them the heavies engine and gun and called it an MBT, it's flexibility), why are destroyers not treated like mini cruisers, because they pretty much are. Actually, an Arleigh Burke is straight up superior to a Ticonderoga in most cases. That's a destroy outmatching a cruiser in damned near everything. It also costs twice as much as the cruiser.

Why would anyone buy battleships? Their ground bombardments have limited range, targetting and payload delivery. They're also massive targets that are EXTREMELY vulnerable to aircraft (carriers are literally why nobody builds battleships anymore) and any job battleships might be good for, a carrier just does better.

What other customizations are available? Is there something like a full perk tree too? If im willingy to spend an obscene amount of money can I just turn my military into the United States military and cackle with glee as I roflstomp people with completely unnecessary and overwhelming force? 😛

• Upvote 2

yes, say you have 100 solider, you could divided them whichever way you see fit. could also throw in a tech tree to unlock the new sub units, but not sure if that too complex. 

Ok, so say your in an alliance war, and they  dont have navy, but have crazy big army, airforce.  You could use a mainly battleship force to kill their army without any casualties. 

• Upvote 1

I could see this adding to the game. It would need a lot of tweaking but it could make the game more fun and wars more interesting. Which would be a good thing.

16 minutes ago, Di Vali said:

yes, say you have 100 solider, you could divided them whichever way you see fit. could also throw in a tech tree to unlock the new sub units, but not sure if that too complex. 

Ok, so say your in an alliance war, and they  dont have navy, but have crazy big army, airforce.  You could use a mainly battleship force to kill their army without any casualties. 

I don’t think a tech tree needs to be complex. See the tech research I suggested afew days ago. It would be easy to work stuff like this in and not be overly complex.

This game really needs more depth to keep new players interested

Why complicate this? It's already been demonstrated that drastic military changes such as OP's are silly. Why not just roll out the 'military perks' thats already coded into the game? Just has no effect currently*

Your suggestions are resemblant of HoI4, its merely unnecessary to push the game in this direction militarily.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tartarus said:

Why complicate this? It's already been demonstrated that drastic military changes such as OP's are silly. Why not just roll out the 'military perks' thats already coded into the game? Just has no effect currently*

Your suggestions are resemblant of HoI4, its merely unnecessary to push the game in this direction militarily.

The game currently is too overly simple. Combat and wars lack strategy besides overwhelming others with numbers. Adding things like this to spice things up is a step in right direction. That being said i don’t agree with every type that op suggested but I like the overall idea of different units.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Tartarus said:

Well, there are several issues with perks. Basically, it doesn’t change anything. The meta right now is get AS, do ground attacks to zero ground/air. No perk would erase that. In fact, people would just pick the perks that enhance this meta. So basically, everyone ends up with the same perks, so no effect on gameplay

This would make war more exciting, as there would be dozens of ways to set up your military, all of which have advantages and disadvantages. Makes war way more fun then a milcom guy making a guide and everyone just clicking buttons. 

• Upvote 1