5/14/2020 - 4 New Projects, Nation Score Change, and more

Alex

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

The change to ground control was proposed and tested on the test server around 2 years ago. It's not a brand new thing that I just threw in randomly.

Well, my mistake I did not play on the test until 6 months ago.

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

You and many others have been crying "this update will kill the game!" at about every update since the game came out. Well, we're still here and in fact we're doing as well as we've ever done.

image.png

(Obviously the recent spike is because of a YouTube video about the game, but we weren't doing poorly before then either.)

Don't project on me. I never said the game was doing poorly nor that this will kill the game. I've seen the graph, I'm not that stupid to just outright lie despite the evidence. I am aware of the YouTube video.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Good to see having more than 20 cities has now been reaffirmed as pointless and laughably stupid by the admin himself.

@Alex of that 4000 before the spike, less than half were actually a relevant participatory party of the game. Even including garbage micros that had no chance of going anywhere, it topped out at around 1500. The rest were, generally, quickly added to the pool of inactives or are those occasional, rare random city 2s or 1s that stay allianceless and just do whatever it is they're doing.

So yeah, it was doing pretty badly actually. Also, you nerfed planes way too hard for the score buff they got, and made tanks practically worthless in score while being able to club as many planes as an IT with a bad kill roll, and all with 1 less MAP required.

Oh, and thanks to the plane reduction, harpooning upper tier whales is even easier. "Ah but proportionally you have the same amount more as before!" War mechanics don't know proportions unfortunately, they know raw numbers. I went from having 450 planes on a c20 to 375. It was already very possible for c20s to take me down anyway, you just went and made it easier. Infact, city 15/16 could probably do it now, whereas before most MA departments wouldn't even try with anything less than 18s.

Oh, and because my score minus my overnax planes actually went down, it's actually not anymore difficult nor even close to impossible for those theoretical c15/16s to get to me. 

And steel prices are going to skyrocket because a massive stockpile will be necessary. Particularly for people like me who are now easier than ever no matter what I do to take down. If I want to be relevant after that I should definitely consider 100k+ steel as my warchest.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, if the goal is to make the game more accessible to casuals, then I'd say you succeeded. However, the timing of this sucks for me because I just started using some KT soldiers only raiding strats and this makes those op strats unfeasible. You did throw us raiders a bone with the "pirate economy" project but it seems like a lot of these changes were actively designed to hurt the most active players of the game which is raiders. Also, you made it virtually impossible to stop nukes by capping unraidable money to 1 mil because the only surefire way to stop them is to bankrupt the player.

9 minutes ago, Shiho Nishizumi said:

Rather than implementing various small changes to see how things changed, you simply read "Planes OP" and "Tanks UP" and went balls to the wall with nerfing one and buffing the other, not caring for how these interacted in conjunction. That's not how balancing should be done. It should be done by taking baby steps to see how it affects the overall dynamic. Honestly, it's possible that it'd have been mostly fine if you had just made it so that tanks could kill planes per GA (albeit not at these rates). But the way you implemented it, you just threw it the opposite direction.

The thing about planes is that it just an abused mechanic. People buy them and use them thinking they have wion the game, yet it does nothing but take up money. When people just ignore that fact and just build and use planes for every attack, you have to wonder who is behind the keyboard. Are they cheating and using resource exploits like GOONS with their planes? What is really going on where alliances suggest only plane builds when it's the most expensive? Surely , econ and milcom are highly unqualified.

Like I always say, you have to think in strategy games not just build max military and sit. No strategy game should encourage this because then it wouldn't be called strategy but just a casual simulation.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Alex said:
  • Score from Missiles and Nuclear Weapons are capped at 50 each (the 51st Missile or Nuclear Weapon will not add to your nation score.)

My next priority is refactoring some of the domestic aspect of the game. Specifically, I have some new mechanics I’d like to introduce, including Average Life Expectancy, Unemployment, Environment, Culture, Science, Tourism, and more. But more on that later, it’s just a teaser for the future!

ty for buffing baby alliances treasure chances xP

by domestic aspect do u mean RP wise or mechanic wise?

rawr

p.s. take the pollution reduction for farms off green tech  please... there is 0 gameplay purpose for that ?

rawr

Edited by katashimon13
triple rawr

There's a hell of a lot to unpack here, and a lot of changes to moving parts that affect other moving parts around them that are also simultaneously being changed. I don't think we'll know how it really all fits until we spend a lot of time playing with it ourselves.

• Upvote 2

Le1AjCa.png

the worst part about this change, is grumpy just lost all shot at getting more treasures... it was a nice few months tho, when fraggle was big enough so we could get them, and we were actually not stuck in an unending war.

That being said, I reserve judgement on the changes, even if a bunch of you have already declared these changes the end of the game just like every time sheeps makes any changes.

Edited by Sweeeeet Ronny D
  • Upvote 2

It's almost inevitable that you'll be winding some of these back. It's just staggering to me that we go with massive changes instead of small tweaks.

How are you suppose to raid in the lower score ranges with the 1m cap? Wouldn't it have been more sensible to scale the cap with cities?

Most nations between 1-5 don't even make 1m cash a day in their nation lol.

Edited by Keegoz
  • Upvote 5

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

9 hours ago, Alex said:

I removed excess oil wells and coal mines; I'm going to just let the Aircraft be. They'll end up being destroyed or sold eventually.

The last player to have planes survive above the new limit should get a trophy.

• Upvote 2
GnWq7CW.png

2 hours ago, Thorkell Hardrada said:

I think we need to end the NAP in order allow "testing" of these new changes. :P

Make a "test server" that starts with a copy of all nations as they are now.

• Upvote 1
GnWq7CW.png

19 hours ago, Alex said:

That's only for Ground Control. When you have Ground Control, subsequent ground battles will destroy some of your enemy's planes, based on the number of tanks you send in.

It makes real life sense - you're rolling your tanks into your enemy's airfields and blowing up the aircraft. It's not unbalanced either, it just offers a new way to counter a superior airforce besides having more planes yourself.

Problem is, in real life, planes are seldom in the airfields by the time you get that far "inland" they are all in the air or destroyed... and tanks guns lack the elevation range to shoot down airplanes last I checked

19 hours ago, Kan0601 said:

you need to build a project for that extra slot lol 

to get that extra 10% income you actually have to build 3 projects, missiles, the space one THEN the economy improving one, which kind of makes getting that extra 10% more expensive than the investment as it will take you real life YEARS to recoup the investment

19 hours ago, KindaEpicMoah said:

Can we get these changes on the test server so we can actually test how they impact gameplay? I don't want to have to wait until the next global war to find out whether it's worthwhile at all to invest in planes or not. 

or at least better plan your changes so everything in the game works around it... anyone tried the battle simulators yet? they still reflect the old mechanics...

15 hours ago, Deulos said:

What is really going on where alliances suggest only plane builds when it's the most expensive?

when ytou look at the complete picture planes are def NOT the moist expensive (when you factor in not just the cost of the planes but the materials as well) as compared to tanks and ships, those two far outpace planes and tanks by a longshot when you add in the cost of buying tens of thousands of units of steel at 4k+ ppu