Add Senators to this game, like in CN

The USA

Do you support my suggestion?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support my suggestion?

• Yes
    • No

In CN, each team color has a Senate made up 5 members that are elected. Each member in the color bloc can vote for another nation as a Senator, and the top 5 nations end up being elected as Senators. This is done every month or so. The Senate itself vote on random proposals that are automatically generated every once in a while that affect things like increasing average income of nation while increasing pollution, decreasing military upkeep costs while decreasing tax income, increasing pollution while increasing population, etc. These proposals, if passed by 3/5 of the senators in a color bloc, remain in effect for a month. Adding this should make the game more interesting since it creates elections that people will have to compete in and forces people who are elected to make tough decisions for their color bloc and deal with losing their seat in case they do a bad job. Having senators be elected from everyone in a color bloc instead of an alliance makes elections competitive. Proposals will have things that both benefit everyone in a color bloc while also have things that hurt the bloc, so senators have to make tough decisions. Everyone in a color bloc can also comment on the proposals in order to try to influence the Senators. For a game called Politics & War and not Trade & War, I believe there needs to be more politics.

Here are some examples of proposals in Cybernations that senators vote on:

Pro War

Recently the ideology of societal advancement through expansionism, regardless of who or what gets in the way, have spread across nations in the Black team sphere. Influential individuals throughout the Black team sphere have sought to convince national leaders and their populace that a strong regional military is key.

Proposal: A stronger military power will quell any resistance as the sphere expands. All nations at peace (not currently fighting a war) receive -$2.00 citizen income while nations at war receive Soldiers and Tank purchase costs -5%.

Health and Well-Being

A rising sense of pride for the excellent health and well-being of the people of the nations within the Black team sphere has led to an across-the-board increase in gross domestic product.

Proposal: Direct the dividends of this increased efficiency into healthcare, extending the lifetime of citizens within the Black team sphere, reducing the number of still births, this has the knock-on effect of increasing the number of retirees, and the number of babies in the team and thus the overall population. The increased number of retirees and youths places a higher support burden on national budgets. Population increased by 3%. Population income reduced by -$2.00.

Make Burgers Not War

Highly regarded chefs throughout the Black team sphere have petitioned leaders to shift the current emphasis on military might to a more culinary focus.

Proposal: Resources Cattle, Spices, Sugar, and Wine each provide +2.5 happiness. Resources Uranium, Aluminum, and Iron each provide -1.5 happiness.

Edited by The USA
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Epi said:

This would be excellent for creating conflict and politics during peace-time. One difference I'd make though is that each city would be worth 1 vote. This way an older nation would have at least twice the say of a brand new nation.

Yeah because who needs newbies right? Let's pound em down with politics.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Epi said:

They're more invested in the game. And if we don't protect them in this way an alliance like Grumpy for example would have no power in the Senate and mass member alliances would continue to dominate. 

By basing it off cities you accurately represent those with economic power.

What about something like:

1-9 cities = 1 vote
10-19 = 2 vote
20-29 = 3 vote
and so on. 

This doesn't make massmember alliances that have 100 people and 800 cities overly powerful but it also doesn't make whale alliances that only have 30 people but over 800 cities powerful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

unknown_3_1_65.png

If this is implemented than a single alliance can take over all of the seats of a color (which is what happened in CN incidentally). If voting is to be added let everyone be included in the voting.

2 hours ago, Lancer said:

If this is implemented than a single alliance can take over all of the seats of a color (which is what happened in CN incidentally). If voting is to be added let everyone be included in the voting.

The only restriction is voting for your own colors senators. Otherwise, everyone is able to vote.

3 minutes ago, LordStrum said:

Because we should definitely be looking to CN when it comes to groundbreaking mechanics...

n3h1JVd.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 4/28/2020 at 9:07 PM, Akuryo said:

The only restriction is voting for your own colors senators. Otherwise, everyone is able to vote.

Sorry, I wasnt clear. What I meant to say was one alliance could completely take over their color if they were a larger alliance, if the only voting the masses could do was for a senator. All they would have to do is insure that their senators got the most votes out of all of the candidates. Given that in CN the senators have significant power over all of the players in their color, this could put a single alliance in a position that is quite powerful.

52 minutes ago, Lancer said:

Sorry, I wasnt clear. What I meant to say was one alliance could completely take over their color if they were a larger alliance, if the only voting the masses could do was for a senator. All they would have to do is insure that their senators got the most votes out of all of the candidates. Given that in CN the senators have significant power over all of the players in their color, this could put a single alliance in a position that is quite powerful.

Considering how many color blocks there are I don’t think this would be much of a problem. It would be easy to switch if you dont like the policy’s of one