What are you Reading?

Adama

Got a favorite book? Got several? Reading something interesting? Share it.

My favorites:

The_Stand_cover.jpg

51l2I4JlemL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

f118bc2c12308bbbf1a5f7f659f5f30c.jpg

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

• Administrators

I'll have to check some of these books out. First, I need to read more :P I waste too much time playing video games and on my phone.

I've been reading most recently What the Buddha Taught http://www.amazon.com/What-Buddha-Taught-Expanded-Dhammapada/dp/0802130313 which is a pretty neat introductory book to Buddhism, although there's a lot of like Sanskrit words and many things I don't understand.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Currently Reading: The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

Recommended Reading: John Dies at the End by David Wong - (Fiction, Horror/Comedy), Rant by Chuck Pahlaniuk - (Fiction, Too hard to describe, Sci-Fi? Maybe?), The Hot Zone by Richard Preston (Non-fiction, about Ebola, education for recent events.)

Currently, I'm reading "This Book is Full of Spiders (Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It)" by David Wong, the sequel to "John Dies at the End." (Which Toxxikation mentioned, and is absolutely worth a read if you're into existential horror, time-travel, and !@#$ jokes)

As for a top ten, here's what I have.

1. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

2. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

3. The Stand by Stephen King

4. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

5. John Dies at the End by David Wong

6. American Gods by Neil Gaiman

7. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

8. Brother Odd by Dean Koontz

9. The Road by Cormac McCarthy

10. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglass Adams

Now judge me Shellhound. I want to know what kind of person you think I am based on how I spend my spare time. Oh, and The Andromeda Strain is a fantastic little book.

Edited by Despartainian
  • Upvote 1

BbWk4MB.jpg

Currently, I'm reading "This Book is Full of Spiders (Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It)" by David Wong, the sequel to "John Dies at the End." (Which Toxxikation mentioned, and is absolutely worth a read if you're into existential horror, time-travel, and !@#$ jokes)

Now judge me Shellhound. I want to know what kind of person you think I am based on how I spend my spare time. Oh, and The Andromeda Strain is a fantastic little book.

I knew I liked you, this just proves it. :P

uHQTKq6.png

Right now I'm reading Patriarch: George Washington and the New American Nation by Richard Norton Smith. I recently read Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind by Biz Stone. Some of my favorites include:

Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In by Ury, Fisher and Patton

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

You Get So Alone at Times That it Just Makes Sense by Charles Bukowski

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared M. Diamond

John Adams by David McCullough

Atonement by Ian McEwan

• Administrators

just finished Andromeda strain which was pretty damn interesting

I really enjoyed this book! I'm a huge Michael Crichton fan, some of his other books (Jurassic Park, Prey, Timeline, and Sphere especially) are great.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

just finished Andromeda strain which was pretty damn interesting

I really don't get the hype about this book. I read it and found it's ending kind of lacking, and the overall story somewhat dry. Other than that though, Micheal Crichton is one my my favorite authors with books like "Prey," "Timeline" and the beloved "Sphere" being some of my favorites of all time.

• Upvote 1

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

Moby !@#$ by Herman Melville

Lol, never heard of that one.

• Upvote 4

f118bc2c12308bbbf1a5f7f659f5f30c.jpg

Read Guns Germs and Steel while he brings up some interesting ideas he does not cite ANYTHING which means I cannot even debate the book.

My favorite series ever is White Flag of the Dead I also thoroughly enjoyed Rainbow Six, The Shinning (of course) and War in 2020.

I'm pretty sure we're the same person. My name on Myspace for the longest time was Johnny Truant.

Read Guns Germs and Steel while he brings up some interesting ideas he does not cite ANYTHING which means I cannot even debate the book.

My favorite series ever is White Flag of the Dead I also thoroughly enjoyed Rainbow Six, The Shinning (of course) and War in 2020.

While the book is not directly cited in the traditional sense he does give his sources in the "further reading" section with detailed explanations on where to find the facts or concepts within the outside material, even breaking it down by by chapter. Though Direct citation would be convent the book is by no means unfounded as the citation is in the context of the pages and the back, rather than being pointed out directly. The book would not have the critical acclaim and general acceptance that it does if it were not valid or supported.

Currently reading:

The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand

The New Cold War by Edward Lucas

The Worldly Philosophers by Robert Heilbroner

Great Tales of Horror, an H.P. Lovecraft collection

"Your 'order' is built on sand. Tomorrow the revolution will already 'raise itself with a rattle' and announce with fanfare, to your terror: I was, I am, I will be!" - Rosa Luxemburg

I'm pretty sure we're the same person. My name on Myspace for the longest time was Johnny Truant.

We are the same person, it's true. There's this, and you also really like Dinosaur Nuggets. Are you my twin, separated at birth?

BbWk4MB.jpg