Game tutorial and FAQ

Prefontaine

DO NOT POST GUIDES IN THIS THREAD

The game's tutorial is very lacking as most people are aware. I've often joked in the past how @Alex has no clue how to play his own game, so we don't want to leave the tutorial to him. Nations will never recover. Thus we're opening up the idea to the community. Some alliances have guides, some players already do. We want to start the process of trying to use some these player made sources to help the game itself and should you want to make something specifically for this game, even better. The point of this thread is to get the idea out there and discuss what sort of return on your work there might be, and what sort of quality there also might be. 

What we're looking for. Think back to when you were a new player. What information did you wish you knew? What information was helpful? Some basic tips, tricks, advice. If you want to make videos with you talking while clicking and describing an aspect of the game, awesome. If you just want to provide text, great. If you have detailed mathematical break downs -- that might scare people, but I love it. 

What do you get. We're open to ideas for rewards. Obviously there will be different types rewards given depending on what's being given. Currently things on the table are as follows:

• A unique achievement
  • A unique award
  • 1-4 Credits (Things like videos will likely get these)
  • VIP status for X amount of time

If you have any rewards suggestions as well, by all means include that as well. 

Alex will likely make an announcement thread when this becomes active. There will be guidelines of what's expected, what's desired, etc... It's important to note that if you do make a video based guide you will have to provide Alex the video so he's able to host it on his platforms, thus giving him the rights to it and such. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

scSqPGJ.gif

• Administrators

This is a project that I've been thinking about for a long time, and these are some high-level goals I've outlined for a tutorial refactoring process:

Overview

Re-design and combine the tutorial/objective systems into one comprehensive tutorial.

High Level Goals

• Tutorial should be reviewable so players can go back to review information
  • Tutorial should last approximately 2-4 weeks and cover the building of a nation’s first 10 cities (1,500 infra, 1,000 land each)
  • Tutorial should be easy to find any access from any page while working on the tutorial
  • Players should be able to skip the tutorial, but also re-enable the tutorial if they choose
  • Tutorial should include video guides of each important step
  • Mobile friendly
  • Allow alliance leaders to monitor tutorial progress in Alliance Control Panel
  • The tutorial should explain the differences between continents in terms of resource production, and also that they don’t otherwise really have an impact on gameplay
  • Make a point to distinguish different play styles like raiding, commerce, resource production, and how those builds work. Emphasize how nations can make money.
  • Explain each military unit and what it does
  • Explain how the war system works, specifically: victory types, resistance, defeat, looting, (aircraft don’t loot!), war ranges, war slots, air control/groundcontrol/blockades,
  • Explain espionage system
  • Explain how alliances work in the game and emphasize the importance of joining a good one
  • Cities: Infra, Land, Improvements, factors (population, disease, commerce, crime, etc.) how cost schemes work, when to buy a new city, etc.
  • Like 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I hope the finished tutorial for the 2-4 week training would be an in-game built feature, similar to what we already have in Objectives.

I would like to add that, considering such a long term training (perhaps call it Governor Academy or something) each one of the graduates should have an award that alliances and everyone else could easily see in order to judge who is a noob and who isn't? :)

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Baby Sinclair said:

I hope the finished tutorial for the 2-4 week training would be an in-game built feature, similar to what we already have in Objectives.

I would like to add that, considering such a long term training (perhaps call it Governor Academy or something) each one of the graduates should have an award that alliances and everyone else could easily see in order to judge who is a noob and who isn't? :)

Yes, it would be combining the Objectives / Tutorial into one, new comprehensive system.

That's a really good idea for having optional additional training that earns players some sort of badge.

• Thanks 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

The major problem we have with new players is that once they complete the tutorial, they stick to the tutorial. 

I've had people arguing about why they should have farms while realistically it is way cheaper to buy food from the market. And it happens all the time. 

I hope the new tutorial takes in information from most top 50 alliances on what benefits the nations more. 

Also, cash awards for the first few tutorials should be more. People who grow above X cities are more likely to stay in the game than quit day 1.

Explain nation score and war ranges. Too many inexperienced players build extreme numbers of tanks, ships, infra, and inflate their score into the range of way larger nations.

• Upvote 1

Look up to the sky above~