Biggest complaints regarding gameplay.

Prefontaine

I’ve been playing this game for 5 years and I have seen a variety of good and bad changes. One of the good changes was the free custom flag. It is my opinion that game aesthetics are important, because they do 2 things.

- Give us something to do besides war, growing, trading, etc.                                                                                                                                                           - Potentially draw in new players also interested in nation RP. 

SO, here are my biggest complaints along with possible solutions:

-1. Custom city images, religion icons, etc. depending on VIP. Taking the example of other nation simulation games, make these aesthetic features unlockable with time.     

-2. No slots for additional government members within individual nations. We added state religion, leader portraits, etc. So why not make slots for PMs, and other government members. And please, don’t just say “use your Factbook.” Somehow, religion was added to nation pages even though it was only a factbook feature for some time.

-3. Province and capital designations next to city names. Make a field for each city that allows player to assign each city to a province/region. Also, each city should have the option of being designated as either “national capital”, “regional capital”, or “blank” (no designation).

-4. Finally, increase character limits for nation, leader, and city names. I can’t name one of my cities after a real life Polish city (Gorzów Wielkopolski) because of the current limits.   

Edited by Klemens Hawicki
  • Upvote 2

so I saw a suggestion to let you rebuild your army, all troops, in 3 days.

I think this is a very bad idea. At day change, you can rebuild in a double buy 73.3% of your planes (current is 36.6%. I focus this on planes cause they are the most powerful unit. If you can rebuild 73.3% of your planes in a double buy you make it impossible for all small nations to ever succesfully fight against whales. By doing this, you make sure that the whales become overpowered and all wars are basically won with just the whales, cause they can win all wars against smaller nations.

For example, if you attack with 3 c25 cities on a c30, currently it's a hard fight, but in some ways possible to win, and that should be the case. With this update, even if the initial attack went well for the attackers, the whale can just rebuild and keep all three c25 nations down. The city count becomes much more important and succesfull declares on nations that does have a higher city count becomes impossible, so basically the game will be dominated by whales if this happens. 

Also, I think the system with spies works good as it is now. If you have all 3 spy projects you can rebuild 4 spies a day and it shouldn't be higher, case otherwise all spy ops have to be used for spy vs spy and will almost never be used to destroy other units, which defeats the purpose of the spies. 

Furthermore, to do something that makes planes less overpowered can be interesting. 

Edited by Lucianus

Why not make it easier to track war damage? Instead of having to use API and have third party sites like the one NPO had, why not calculate the monetary value of lost and damaged units when an attack occurs and store this information in a wars timeline, having it expire when the war does?

Example: I airstrike someone, the monetary value of the aircraft I lost and the units and infra I damaged are calculated with the attack and stored in the timeline under a new column. 

I'm no computer geek so I don't know if this would put too much pressure on the already stressed servers but it would be a much welcomed addition. 

• Upvote 2

Chief Financial Officer of The Syndicate

On 2/18/2020 at 10:35 PM, Zim said:

It not a loophole, the only reason they in range is because said nation is basely destroyed. And would be at a serius disadvantage when it come to air war. As an example, i am currently at war with 3 fighting pacifist members, that is countering me. They have on avarge 5 cities less then me. 
Each of them have around a 1000 planes, i just did a double buy and i got roughly 600 planes out of that deal.
I am still at a disadvantage, simply because of low build time on planes. 
You can basely keep a nation down the same way you can drag down whales. 
On the other end of spectum you also have nations, that suck at nation score balancing (basely one of the only strategies you actually can have an effect on) and just max out tanks and ships. Bringing themself serverly out of range of their own tier level. 
I rather prefer that people stacking tanks, can be dealt with by people with more airpower, rather then having people invest in bunch of tanks of their own to smash into said tanks stacks. 
In short nation score keeps wars more dynamic, therefor creating funnier gameplay, for us people that actually start wars on the daily. And not actually make everything depend on who have the bigger numbers, 
a thing i am sure you will appreciate when you realize that the numbers is currently not on your side anymore. 
And in the current system it still possible for bigger nations to act as raiders. Because i rather prefer that even whales, like say Ripper can go full pirate if he want to. Rather then force him rerole his nation to do so.

To your second point, on the prices of war, it still have a cost.
The same buying stuff off the market can be expensive, same about blowing stuff up, and even cost of low infra accumulate over time. 
Infact if you look at scoreboard over what nations have lots the most infra, you notice that Arrgh current and former members is rather overrepresented.
And we do disregard counters not because we have nothing to lose, but because it will cost us more to deal with them, then ignorering them. 
And that is freaking great thing, as it prevent people from gething to upity about revenge.  
For us war need to bring in money, because it way we supstain and grow ourselves. 
Low infra funnily enough come at cost of income. 
You should know there is other ways to play this game, then being a farmer, i rather try to exspand that list as much as possible, then try an destroy every other style of gameplay

If you war every day why do you need to war against much weaker people? 

"Im at a slight disadvantage now that 3 people are fighting me" is a very poor argument against city based range. 

A nation shouldn't have a easier time attacking the more destroyed it is. 

Buying tanks and ships shouldn't put you at a disadvantage.  

Bigger nations shouldn't be raiders, they should be fighting people their own experience level. 

Infra lost /=/ value in infra lost, would prove it by screenshotting some of your high losses members overall damage dealt and recieved but NPO nuked the stat page. 

People with more cities are more likely to have more stuff to loot. 

These changes wouldn't promote a farming only gameplay just heavily increase unit related war costs and overall end wars sooner. 

And that way we'll just have more wars.

Edited by Canada2
Grammar

On 2/19/2020 at 3:52 PM, dtc justice said:

This just makes the whales stronger as they can downdeclare even more

i think we have proven the last two wars is that whales aren't nearly as strong as everyone thinks they are.  Especially since they are limited on who they can hit.

3 minutes ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

i think we have proven the last two wars is that whales aren't nearly as strong as everyone thinks they are.  Especially since they are limited on who they can hit.

Aye, but If you can 1/3 buy a day it will make whales just as terrifying as IQ always claimed they were.

@Lucianus 3 25s vs a 30 in that change would be a stalemate. The 3 of them are just big enough and do just enough damage with enough rebuy to not being zeroed out by one guy, but they will struggle extremely to harpoon them.

Maybe the answer is to narrow the down declare range or to base it on city numbers, and therefore potential recruitment range.  Ideally something like a maximum of 2 above or 2 below.  Regardless of infra and other factors.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:12 AM, Lucianus said:

so I saw a suggestion to let you rebuild your army, all troops, in 3 days.

I think this is a very bad idea. At day change, you can rebuild in a double buy 73.3% of your planes (current is 36.6%. I focus this on planes cause they are the most powerful unit. If you can rebuild 73.3% of your planes in a double buy you make it impossible for all small nations to ever succesfully fight against whales. By doing this, you make sure that the whales become overpowered and all wars are basically won with just the whales, cause they can win all wars against smaller nations.

For example, if you attack with 3 c25 cities on a c30, currently it's a hard fight, but in some ways possible to win, and that should be the case. With this update, even if the initial attack went well for the attackers, the whale can just rebuild and keep all three c25 nations down. The city count becomes much more important and succesfull declares on nations that does have a higher city count becomes impossible, so basically the game will be dominated by whales if this happens. 

Also, I think the system with spies works good as it is now. If you have all 3 spy projects you can rebuild 4 spies a day and it shouldn't be higher, case otherwise all spy ops have to be used for spy vs spy and will almost never be used to destroy other units, which defeats the purpose of the spies. 

Furthermore, to do something that makes planes less overpowered can be interesting. 

ok guy with 10 cities...

at 34 cities, I was routinely taken down by 3 c20s.  Why you ask? because once one side loses the upper tier war, they all plummet NS so that the upper tier cannot reach them without severely handicapping themselves.  Also with the increase in plane costs its insanely expensive to rebuy even 1/6th your daily planes, (it costs me over 2.5k alum every day to fully replace my planes. so i would be looking at 10k alum for every double buy)  Not only that, but suicide plane only attacks kill a stupidly equal amount of planes.

The only way we were able to win wars against coordinated strikes was by getting a few people together to either kamakazii, and go nuts on plane spy attacks.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Akuryo said:

Aye, but If you can 1/3 buy a day it will make whales just as terrifying as IQ always claimed they were.

@Lucianus 3 25s vs a 30 in that change would be a stalemate. The 3 of them are just big enough and do just enough damage with enough rebuy to not being zeroed out by one guy, but they will struggle extremely to harpoon them.

Will we be more dangerous? sure, but its not like we are the only ones that can do a double buy.  if i double buy from 0 planes, i am still only at around 2200 planes, if i am fighting 3 dudes with 20 cities and they each have 1800 planes they can still double buy 1300 planes, I will have a real hard time wiping out 3600 planes a day if i only have 2200 planes.  If you say, hey you wont always be at a 3 to 1 disadvantage.  Well if you look around, there are a shit ton more 20 city nations than there are 30+ city nations, so yeah it actually isn't that hard to find yourself at a 3 to 1 disadvantage if your side has fallen into the meat grinder.

If you want to say its not fair in a fight between a 20 city vs 34 city, the 20 city has no chance,  This is how it should be, a city that is significantly smaller should not be able to go toe to toe with a much larger opponent.

Smaller nations still have the advantage because they are still able to attack me and have it mechanically impossible for me to hit them.

As for IQ declaring how dangerous whales were, that was purely self serving BS and misdirection.  You know who wins a war of 120-150 20 city nations vs 30 whale nations?  I will give you a hint, the answer is not the whales.

Edited by Sweeeeet Ronny D
  • Upvote 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but you should be automatically exempt from taxes if you are in a blockade, and then automatically put back on taxes when you break the blockade/the war ends.

This is because it doesn't make sense that you can't trade with other nations or receive aid from your alliance, but they can find a way to extract resources from you. This may make it easier to rebuild after a war.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Canada2 said:

If you war every day why do you need to war against much weaker people? 

How long does it take to rebuild to full strenght? roughtly a week is the answer. Or in other words atleast 15 wars i will have declared. 
Funnily enough wars destroy units, infact they destroy alot of units. 
So many get blowned up against so called "weaker people", that i haven't been at full strenght since January. 

"Im at a slight disadvantage now that 3 people are fighting me" is a very poor argument against city based range. 

No it isen't. How many 40 cities nations excist in this game? how many 35 cities nations? how many 30 cities nations? 25, 20, 15, 10...

You don't need to know the precise numbers, to know that the number of nation increases the lower in cities you goes. 
If it wasen't the case, the game would have some very big problems.  Smaller tiers will always have a numerical superiority in this game. You can see it yourself here.
https://politicsandwar.com/world-graphs/graphID=5
The only outlier is 10 cities, because of the purposely catch up mechanics Alex have put into the game.
So the lower you goes, the more likely is it you can get back up. 

A nation shouldn't have a easier time attacking the more destroyed it is. 

Afghanistan, the graveyard of empires. A country were the majority of it population most used forms of transportation is pulled by an animal. It have succesfully fought off the Soviet Union after a ten year campaign and currently fighting against the USA in a conflict that is nearing it twentied year. 
When a nation no longer have anything left to destroy, it becomes extremely resilient. 
It not it being easier to fight, often it is not, quite the opposite in fact. It simply about the cost of war get cheaper. 
And it is great, it give still an ablitiy to fight, when ones nations is being circle beiged, or other similar stuff. Which otherwise would drive an ever larger procenties out of the game, then it already does. I don't know if you had time to experience that doing the war?
But for us that fought on basely the "losing" side, for 8 months when fighting against an enemy who was trying to get players to delete, this was a life line that keeped the war going for many. 

Buying tanks and ships shouldn't put you at a disadvantage.  

So you prefer that wars is decided by who have the bigger stockpile of stuff? Sounds both very boring and very expensive. 
Ships and tanks have their uses, they aren't useless. 
When both are (Tanks more then ships) weapons of circumstances, and can be used with extreme success when deployed in the right circumstances. 
It called strategi, being mindful of ones nation score add an extra layer to that, and provide on with choices. Like if you were actually *playing* the game. 

Bigger nations shouldn't be raiders, they should be fighting people their own experience level. 

Why? Why do you believe that? Why do you believe you can tell other people how they should play? 
Actually the question "why" is something i would like you to answer to most of your statement, you don't really come with anything to prove or back up your belief. You just say them.

Infra lost /=/ value in infra lost, would prove it by screenshotting some of your high losses members overall damage dealt and recieved but NPO nuked the stat page. 

I have lost 5 times the infra you have lost. To not even talk about the profit i haven't gained from production and commence by keeping my infra low. 

People with more cities are more likely to have more stuff to loot. 

It take more time, to build up between conflict so you can have less wars. It cost more in millitary units, and infra for us to. Higher risk of it turning not turning it a profit. 
We know our trade. 

These changes wouldn't promote a farming only gameplay just heavily increase unit related war costs and overall end wars sooner. 

Mate, i don't think you know how alliance wars work in the slightest, only one alliance peace out because of economics in the last war. Alliance prefered going into debt. 
 and who you might be put against. NPO was willing to cheat more ressource and profit into the game to keep the war going, as soon as that profit was cut off, made most of their allies peace out or delete outright. NPO goal was killing it opponents and it did everything in it's power to achieve that. 
And the part about heavily increase unit related war costs, yeah that is farming it promote nothing else. It will punish every other playstyle. 

On 2/21/2020 at 9:31 PM, Canada2 said:

And that way we'll just have more wars.

No it won't, it will create longer periodes between great global wars, and make protectors more meaningless then they already are. As their protector will be even less likely to help them out. 

tenor (1).gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 3:36 PM, Zim said:

Afghanistan, the graveyard of empires. A country were the majority of it population most used forms of transportation is pulled by an animal. It have succesfully fought off the Soviet Union after a ten year campaign and currently fighting against the USA in a conflict that is nearing it twentied year. 
When a nation no longer have anything left to destroy, it becomes extremely resilient. 
It not it being easier to fight, often it is not, quite the opposite in fact. It simply about the cost of war get cheaper. 
And it is great, it give still an ablitiy to fight, when ones nations is being circle beiged, or other similar stuff. Which otherwise would drive an ever larger procenties out of the game, then it already does. I don't know if you had time to experience that doing the war?
But for us that fought on basely the "losing" side, for 8 months when fighting against an enemy who was trying to get players to delete, this was a life line that keeped the war going for many. 

You do know Afghanistan was backed by the US, which is why they beat off the USSR, right? They didn't win "on their own" and USA isn't at war with Afghanistan, like the USSR was. 

In either case, any nation that has improvements well beyond its infra level should be forced to have power redirected to the improvements they want to actually have powered. Otherwise, it puts way to much power into the once larger nation, against the current smaller nations. Outside that, if a 30 city nation loses all its infra, it's improvement count is within its infra level and just rocks with full military improvements and basically nothing else, there is nothing wrong with that. I personally don't think a 30 city nation should be able to drop so much and be able to hit a 20 city nation or smaller, but that's just me. At that point, you have to change the accessibility of whom you can declare on.

As for the directing of power, in this specific situation, this should also affect the raws as well. You have 40 improvements, but infra level is 1000, you redirect power to all the areas you want, but raws also function at full power? Because they don't use power? Rather bs in my opinion as well. You can only power what your infra level allows you, if you have more improvements then what your infra level allows. This will mostly affect whales who have 20 farms, get smacked down, run max military and 20 farms and whatever else they can while low on infra at full effectiveness. Power the farms or the military?

Also, if your military loses power to its improvements, then the units held by that improvement is lost. The same way if it was destroyed during battle. You still have the improvement though. No power, there shouldn't be any allowing of full military use of it then, even if you already had the soldiers before losing power. This will hurt those huge nations who choose to shrink themselves so much, to where they only rock military improvements at 1K infra or less builds. You lose 500 infra in a city, immediately 10 improvements lose power and at first it is randomly chosen by the game, but afterwards you can redirect the power as you see fit or simply buy more infra. This way, it forces those more not giving a crap raiders, who simply just want to burn a nation down, to think through its military efforts, as it can go small, but it can easily lose a portion of its military quite easily.

If this was put in, you can have a pre-set power direction installed for your nation. Basically, if the above examples happen, it will pull power from the section (not the specific improvement) of improvements you listed first. Example...You have 5 choices: Resources, Manufacturing, Civil, Commerce and Military. I put Manufacturing as my first section to lose power. So, if I get randomly hit and cities drop in infra, power will be randomly taken from the improvements in that section first and so on and so forth. Once the second is done, it'll move onto the next section on the list. This will at least give people the ability to fight off the randomness of having their military improvements just lose power first.

This would then open up the spy ability of being able to scramble one's pre-set power direction. Basically, if the spy operation is successful, it will just set it back to "random" setting. Removing the pre-set feature, made by the player. The defending player can fix the problem immediately or I suppose, make it a one day force hold (until their day change mark happens, so it can never be more then 24 hours).

Since the added change of being able to set your own day change time, anyone thought that maybe in the "intelligence gathering" spy ability, they are also told when the nation's day change is also?

I am still firmly behind that spying is by far the most out of wack thing on here. With planes tying. It seems WAY to easy to spy intelligence or almost anything else and either succeed and be caught or not caught. There should be more then simply, having 60 spies and Arcane on. Put more variables with it...military size, overall average land size and city size, etc. A nation with half the amount of spies a fully maxed out nation has, should not have any real chance of success. Also, a handful of spies, shouldn't be able to kill upwards to 20 spies either. These spies aren't Agents 47.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...