2/5/2020 - Major Announcement Regarding Enforcement of Game Rules

Alex

I mean we all knew this was the case, I’m glad it’s finally been dealt with. They’ve been holding half the game at war for over half a year and are paying a hundreds of people to make nations so they can farm them and build an UNFAIR advantage. How did NPO and the people currently condemning the action ever this what was going on was appropriate? 

The punishments are weak, however I understand Alex’s intention to not want to kill an entire alliance. NPO people should be thanking him for being so lenient with their incredibly illegal activity.

To all the cry babies saying you’re leaving over this, LEAVE! I wanna play this game fair and not with a bunch of cheaters! If the game loses people who care, it wouldn’t be a game anymore if NPO’s cheating continued.

• Upvote 2

Chief Financial Officer of The Syndicate

3 minutes ago, ArcKnox said:

>making available any information made available through the Service in any manner that infringes any copyright

Funny how you ignore that part huh

Did I delete it or Blur it?
No.
If he believed that is ilegal, his work as discord user is to report it, not use it to break Users privacy for his own benefit. Then even if Guinean pigs did wrong, he did worse. But as far I see is a person with double morals.

GPWC did not duplicate money. Despite claims otherwise, there is no evidence of them being multi-accounts. They took no in-game action that was forbidden by the rules. They and the leadership of NPO are being banned for alleged “illegal distribution of resources worth real money for in-game value”, of which no actual evidence has been provided as to the value or illegality of said resources. This ruling will lead to a slippery slope allowing Alex to arbitrarily ban people for any off-site action. This might win you the day here, Coalition A, but look forward to that looming over your heads for however long this game lasts.

Edited by JT Jag

sigsize_od.gif
ONE WORLD OR NONE
CyberNations veteran, Co-Pilot Emeritus
Hambassidor (Head Ambassador (Minister of Foreign Affairs)), Head of the Ministry of Log Dumping, GOONS

• Administrators
1 minute ago, JT Jag said:

GPWC did not duplicate money. Despite claims otherwise, there is no evidence of them being multi-accounts. They took no in-game action that was forbidden by the rules. They and the leadership of NPO are being banned for alleged “illegal distribution of resources worth real money for in-game value”, of which no actual evidence has been provided as to the value or illegality of said resources. This ruling will lead to a slippery slope allowing Alex to arbitrarily ban people for any off-site action. This might win you the day here, Coalition A, but look forward to that looming over your heads for however long this game lasts.

The rule:

Real-World Transactions for In-Game Materials

Politics & War has a limited donation system to prevent the game from being "pay-to-win." In addition to limits on Credit usage, it is against the rules for players to make exchanges of real-life money or goods for in-game materials, including but not limited to: in-game money, and in-game resources. Examples of this type of behavior would include: sending someone real-life money for in-game money or in-game resources, purchasing someone a Steam game for in-game money or in-game resources, sending someone a gift-card for in-game money or in-game resources, and any other sort of real-world trade for in-game goods.

The punishment for real-world transactions for in-game materials will be a complete nation reset upon first offense, and a permanent ban from Politics & War upon a second offense.

It is clear that there was a quid pro quo of manhwa for in-game tax farm. The report has enough evidence to conclude that. The rule clearly states that real-life money or goods for in-game materials is against the rules.

Manhwa is a real-life (digital) good. Money and resources generated and traded via alliance bank taxes is an in-game good. It's a this-for-that, and a rules violation.

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators
Just now, Douglas MacArthur said:

Why is it that Alex doesn't ban Gorge for STEALING leos password but then bans NPO's leadership for something that alex allowed in the past? Reeks of bias 

Because that didn't happen.

And I never allowed what occurred here to occur (knowingly.)

• Upvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Just now, Douglas MacArthur said:

Why is it that Alex doesn't ban Gorge for STEALING leos password but then bans NPO's leadership for something that alex allowed in the past? Reeks of bias 

Probably because that literally did not happen. 

• Haha 1

STFU

I haven't read the report. I haven't read any of this thread outside of the first page.

My initial thoughts are as follows: this sucks. I hate seeing so many prominent members of the community have to be banned, even if it is for only half a year. I do understand why Alex has done this and I think it is the right choice. Perhaps it's easy for me to say this because of IC circumstances but that's another issue. Still, I think it's tragic that this is how it played out. I hope all those temporarily banned will return and that nothing like this happens again. 

The salt on this first page alone is delicious though. I can't wait until I get home tonight and can lick it up in all its glory. 

Hoes mad x24

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Douglas MacArthur said:

Alex how is gorge accessing someone else's account not against the rules? even through BK net Gorge kicked people off BK and stole BK's bank he accessed leo's account without permission. 

Leo did give permission, how else did BKnet have access to his nation?

In any case, this is off-topic.

Forums Rules | Game Link

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

The rule:

It is clear that there was a quid pro quo of manhwa for in-game tax farm. The report has enough evidence to conclude that. The rule clearly states that real-life money or goods for in-game materials is against the rules.

Manhwa is a real-life (digital) good. Money and resources generated and traded via alliance bank taxes is an in-game good. It's a this-for-that, and a rules violation.

I am astounded that you don’t understand how broadly you are applying the term “goods” here. Where’s the line? Do you ban the entire leadership of an alliance that gives out some steam codes to its members? That has a more direct monetary value, and I can assure you it’s been done by most alliances in this game.

sigsize_od.gif
ONE WORLD OR NONE
CyberNations veteran, Co-Pilot Emeritus
Hambassidor (Head Ambassador (Minister of Foreign Affairs)), Head of the Ministry of Log Dumping, GOONS

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, JT Jag said:

I am astounded that you don’t understand how broadly you are applying the term “goods” here. Where’s the line? Do you ban the entire leadership of an alliance that gives out some steam codes to its members? That has a more direct monetary value, and I can assure you it’s been done by most alliances in this game.

If they're giving out steam codes in exchange for in-game money or resources, then yes. That's even explicitly written into the rule I just quoted for you as an example of a rules violation.

• Like 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

This is the most thorough explanation of a ban I've seen. Kudos to Alex for defending his position, even though if you read the document it's more than enough. Most admins say "I AM GOD  BAN!"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"Most successful new AA" - Samuel Bates

I find the argument that Alex allegedly has no evidence for illegal scanlations funny and absurd.

Scanlations are inherently illegal. There are no legal scanlations. Scanlations is a portmanteau out of the word "scan" and "translation". It's something fans to do access copyrighted material earlier (before it is officially going into sale), because it's not being translated or because they don't want to buy it. Doing this, is inherently illegal because taking someone's copyrighted work, scanning it and then providing it to others for free or for money is copyright infringement and theft. Scanlations being leaked before manga chapters (in case of Japan) are even published is a huge issue for the industry where more and more traditional magazine publishers are going out of business.

There are screenshots of people admitting to providing scanlations. Scanlations are inherently illegal.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, lightside said:

Alex you should have just set tax rate limits to fix this. Rather then mass deleateing/banning. What you did will have a negative affect on the game.

Would that not have affected everyone evenly? NPO would have had the same proportional advantage relative to everyone else, as I see it, so that's not really a fix at all.

I think the thing that really has people up in arms about this how long it took for GPWC to be hit by admin action. Once Nova Riata were suspected of cheating, admin investigations and the banhammer came within days. Their allies quickly abandoned them, and they were declared on by almost all of Orbis. Quite a different reaction from their allies to the current scenario.

GPWC have been around for almost 6 months now, and have easily had the highest number of members of any alliance in the game for much of that. It doesn't take a genius to work out that they've probably got something fishy going on behind the scenes. It's been an open secret for months now - I was able to ask a regular member of my alliance "Hey, what's up with GWPC?", and they basically told me it as it was. We're not nearly close enough to NPO that our regular members know their secret plans - it was just that well-known.

Suddenly, without warning, all of Orbis has been told "Actually, this thing that's been an open secret for half a year, is against the rules, and we're going to be banning immediately." Gee, I wonder why people are upset?

I accept that gathering strong evidence against GPWC must have taken a while, but @Alex must have known that GWPC was 'human botting' for at least a few months. Even without hard evidence, that he's only taken action now shows an awful lack of communication. If, a month or two ago, there had been a forum post to the effect of "As a reminder, human botting for services is against the rules. Don't do it. Looking at you, GPWC." would have gone a long way. Would they have stopped of their own accord? Possibly, possibly not. But it would have made it far more obvious to the rest of us that, actually, GPWC is breaking one of the many rules, we should maybe distance ourselves from them.

(I know, the rules are right there, but can anyone here claim to know them all off by heart? Never had to ask Alex if something is against the rules? Quite a lot of people ITT don't seem to even realise that it was a rule in the first place!)

• Upvote 1

• Alex locked this topic