Regarding the awards.

Prefontaine

Going to go with 'no'. Past rewards are earned - if nothing else make them optional to wear for those that got them. Related, make the Community spotlight work the same as the Alliances and Individuals rackets to focus only on the good. The forums vilify the wicked well enough.

Edited by Erev

14 minutes ago, Erev said:

Going to go with 'no'. Past rewards are earned - if nothing else make them optional to wear for those that got them. Related, make the Community spotlight work the same as the Alliances and Individuals rackets to focus only on the good. The forums vilify the wicked well enough.

Think his point was the decision was already made, unless I read it wrong. lol

libertyribbon.png

It's an interesting thought given the already overwhelming levels of toxicity.  I agree that the awards as they are now are probably not something that should be continued given their deleterious effects on the community and the lack of any real amusement for most players.  

The thing is though that I think a lot of the tension has been fixated on the process versus the awards themselves.  Now, there are two possibilities there.  First, people have legitimate concerns about how the awards are done in terms of fairness and wish for better methods of determining awards.  Second, the awards process is being made political on purpose to stir up toxicity and being used as a proxy for a personal set of conflicts.  I suspect its a mix of both, but as an optimist I'll assume that its mostly the first option and the community has real concerns about the awards. 

The problem is that we're trying to assign holistic categories to a game that is just a few lines of text thrown together with some pictures and formatting.  Ideally, we base those judgements on those categories off of the data the game gives us, objective measures like infrastructure destroyed, cities grown, etc.  Instead these categories and their respective winners are often based off of completely subjective and/or political factors such as alliance affiliation, community loyalties, or simply what somebody else tells you to vote.  

To me, it seems the problem lies with the layers of abstraction we try to put over what should just be manifestations of the objective criteria of the game.  Thus, it follows that the awards themselves are not problematic rather we just need to rethink how and what we award.  We could give people awards for objective accomplishment such as money looted and alliance ranking versus best fight or most powerful alliance.  You can't really fight over raw data of the game, and it still provides an outlet for fun and entertainment as people compete year-long to achieve these goals without the need for Alex to get involved (although I'm sure he could code it in to make it easier) nor such a risk of awards becoming as foul as they are now.

Edited by Cooper_
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Erev said:

I'm going with 'no' as well regarding your post. 

Xrtp5Fk.gif

• Haha 4

scSqPGJ.gif

3 minutes ago, Epi said:

Best Rookie, Most Immoral. Idk about you guys but our awards were fairly bipartisan. 

I get if the first one has to go, but we petition you to let us keep the second one with its negative connotation and all. 

I do think letting people keep old ones would be fair, but don’t really care about the awards beyond thinking they seem handled badly the few times I’ve seen them done. Think a more professional approach should be taken if giving in-game rewards.

Really the process should be easy to repeat each year if Alex just decides on a good one which is fair & unbiased, so not sure why the community reinvents a new process instead each year.

libertyribbon.png

4 hours ago, Erev said:

This has literally no effect upon the nature of the awards right now, which can be best summarized as member spam to the diktat of the whims of their alliance. Given that we now have several separate awards running, with each of them being dogged by various accusations, it's clear that the goodwill that the current system relies on simply isn't there

image.png?ex=65f5ad0b&is=65e3380b&hm=0a640d0767cb6936d92567608b47cf3887ad83c117a24672a3d863cd0ce3a642&

5 hours ago, Jazz R Oppenheimer said:

No, prefontaine.

How will goons ever truly let the world know how special you guys are without pixel awards to show them. :P

Although kind of a funny coincidence they were scrapped the year goons got involved, but these seem to be a mess every year with people disagreeing mostly. Sure it had nothing to do with you guys though. lol

libertyribbon.png

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
5 hours ago, Leo the Great said:

Lol so rather than in any meaningful way alliances getting better for the awards they just decide they are over. At least this provides a classic case study of how easy y'all will give up.

The meaningful way is to remove player voting, the awards already gained should be removed also as we both know BK and others paid and gave terms in order to win the awards they have, they was not earned in the way they was meant to have been.

We should have best alliance of the year, best player of the year and so on, but it should be based on facts and not IQ forcing members to vote for who they want just to get little icons. This award has been the most toxic, people being banned from partaking, votes changed that did not conform with what IQ wanted and so on the list just keeps growing.

how easy it is for people to give up, give what up? a vote that is rigged? sorry if those not in IQ do not wish to force its members to vote for whom they are told to and giving them freedom to vote how they wish.