Too Big to Fail [Commerce Project]

Raphael

This will just allow city 20+ to allocate more slots to manufacture and disease management which will cause major damage to the market. On top of that, alliances will be able to stock up larger warchests from taxes and cheaper market prices, which extends the current problem we're seeing with alliances fighting near endless wars.

I'm also not sure what problem you're trying to address with this change, could you elaborate? To me, it seems like a more self serving project that doesn't consider the larger scale repercussions.

Edited by REAP3R

Look up to the sky above~

On 12/31/2019 at 1:11 PM, lightside said:

Freeing up 9 slots would make this very overpowered. It should be less.

Maybe replacing 5 banks alone then? 25% flat commerce? I think any less wouldn't be worth the project.

On 12/31/2019 at 1:23 PM, REAP3R said:

This will just allow city 20+ to allocate more slots to manufacture and disease management which will cause major damage to the market. On top of that, alliances will be able to stock up larger warchests from taxes and cheaper market prices, which extends the current problem we're seeing with alliances fighting near endless wars.

I'm also not sure what problem you're trying to address with this change, could you elaborate? To me, it seems like a more self serving project that doesn't consider the larger scale repercussions.

Basically the problem I'm trying to address is the distinct lack of end-game content. City 15 is the last "milestone" before you can purchase every single thing in the game.

On 12/31/2019 at 1:17 PM, im317 said:

should be less or cost a lot more.

It can cost more, it's just a concept.

12 hours ago, lightside said:

I think having it as 10% is a good balance. This will effectively make it equal to 2 slots per city. I would buy it for that and it would be fairly balanced. Anymore and it would be too strong. 

I hope you're a 30+ city whale with 3k infra cause otherwise I'm not wasting that amount for 2 slots when it'd literally be cheaper to boost infra by 200 and give ultimately greater benefits.

Infact even at 3k infra it's pretty much worthless as you won't be longing for slots up there. It'd be a thing you had to say you had.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Akuryo said:

I hope you're a 30+ city whale with 3k infra cause otherwise I'm not wasting that amount for 2 slots when it'd literally be cheaper to boost infra by 200 and give ultimately greater benefits.

Infact even at 3k infra it's pretty much worthless as you won't be longing for slots up there. It'd be a thing you had to say you had.

I disagree. Infra can be destroyed while projects cannot. This makes this have valuable to have in a war when you have low infra. Not to mention we are not talking 2 slots total but 2 slots per city. This adds up alot and makes it worth while.

50 minutes ago, lightside said:

I disagree. Infra can be destroyed while projects cannot. This makes this have valuable to have in a war when you have low infra. Not to mention we are not talking 2 slots total but 2 slots per city. This adds up alot and makes it worth while.

No, it doesn't. In wartime it's useless because the infra levels you're gonna have for 90% of it are levels at which commerce isn't viable anyway.

During peace it's already worthless because your infra is either small enough you can just increase your infra per city by several hundred achieving far more benefits, or it's so high that you don't actually need extra slots anyway.

Two slots, particularly applying only to commerce as they do, is useless. The only people who will buy this are whales with nothing else to spend on, and fools who think this is better than just buying from 2000 to 2500 in all their cities. Hint: it's really really not. It doesn't even beat 2500 to 2700 in my cities.

• Upvote 1

Guest Elijah Mikaelson

I personally would not waste my time on a project like this, has zero benefits for so called "End Game" in truth End game i would say is 40 cities simply due to how few have reached that target, and they would not waste their time with this project as most would have over 3k infra in peace anyway.

You want a real end game project then have a project that effects something worth while, such as Anti air guns that are boosted by land, or a national recycling center that removed 0.75% of all pollution in all cities for each 1k land enabling the whales to benefit as that's end game

Alex worries to much on the people who spend years at 20 cities or those who have just started, so you will never get any good end game improvements or projects as it wont please the masses 

On 12/31/2019 at 2:51 PM, Bartholomew Roberts said:

Requirements: City 20

Cost: $150,000,000

10,000 Aluminum

10,000 Steel

Effects: All cities now have a base commerce of 43% rather than 0.

Why: This frees up, at least, nine improvements slots. 43% = 4 supermarkets + 5 banks. Commerce won't help anyone who gets their infra destroyed, but it would be a nice way to free up improvement slots.

this would only work the project gave 45% of commerce based on 2k infra no matter how much infra you have even then its only effective in war out of that worthless again

3 hours ago, Bjorn Ironside said:

I personally would not waste my time on a project like this, has zero benefits for so called "End Game" in truth End game i would say is 40 cities simply due to how few have reached that target, and they would not waste their time with this project as most would have over 3k infra in peace anyway.

You want a real end game project then have a project that effects something worth while, such as Anti air guns that are boosted by land, or a national recycling center that removed 0.75% of all pollution in all cities for each 1k land enabling the whales to benefit as that's end game

Alex worries to much on the people who spend years at 20 cities or those who have just started, so you will never get any good end game improvements or projects as it wont please the masses 

this would only work the project gave 45% of commerce based on 2k infra no matter how much infra you have even then its only effective in war out of that worthless again

"end game content" still has to be mass-appellate to a degree.

There is a player base at 20+ cities. There isn't at 40+.

I agree with Akuryo though, this would need to actually have benefit in order to be a viable project. Not a marginal 1-2% income bonus. Keep in mind that commerce only actually gives you more money when you have infra so this would be effectively useless for war.

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
19 minutes ago, Bartholomew Roberts said:

"end game content" still has to be mass-appellate to a degree.

There is a player base at 20+ cities. There isn't at 40+.

I agree with Akuryo though, this would need to actually have benefit in order to be a viable project. Not a marginal 1-2% income bonus. Keep in mind that commerce only actually gives you more money when you have infra so this would be effectively useless for war.

but 40 would be end game? 20 would be middle game wont you think? your talking about making it benefit end game

On 1/2/2020 at 8:46 PM, Bjorn Ironside said:

but 40 would be end game? 20 would be middle game wont you think? your talking about making it benefit end game

Again, asking Alex to code in a project so three people could buy it would be silly. If you'd like to raise the bar to 25 cities that would be ok. 40 would be wildly out of the question.

On 1/5/2020 at 4:24 PM, lightside said:

How about we call this project "National reserve bank". Too big to fail could then be an achievement name for getting it

I'm fine with renaming it.

Compromise on the number of improvements: instead of 9 or 2, do 5. Enough for a full line of production, which I'd say makes it useful enough for people to actually want it.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2020 at 12:36 AM, lightside said:

I think we shouldn't give it a city restriction. The roi from whatever we set the price/effects will encourage what nation size builds it or not.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:59 AM, Akuryo said:

Compromise on the number of improvements: instead of 9 or 2, do 5. Enough for a full line of production, which I'd say makes it useful enough for people to actually want it.

tbh I'm fine with both of these tweaks.