[Vote]How we're doing awards this year

Raphael

How would you like to see the Yearly Awards run this year?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see the Yearly Awards handled?

• The normal way - open to the public entirely
    • Delegations from the alliances so everyone has a fair shake (nominations still open to the public, but delegates will vote)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/19 at 06:59 PM

Just now, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

It would only change it if the option which is winning changes, so think you’re confusing my words if you think I was saying you had already. Although I’m done with this thread, as the awards aren’t a high area of interest for me. So wasted enough time with this topic.

It's simple. If the old guard don't hold an awards ceremony simply because they aren't in control of the vote, GOONS will hold one for the will of the people.

If those in power think that they can ignore the will of the people, we will seize the means of meaningless awards.

Just now, Leonard J Crabs said:

It's simple. If the old guard don't hold an awards ceremony simply because they aren't in control of the vote, GOONS will hold one for the will of the people.

I’d rather he just do it his way regardless of the poll tbh.

libertyribbon.png

6 minutes ago, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

I’d rather he just do it his way regardless of the poll tbh.

I have no problems with the admin of the game deciding who gets what awards.

If it's a community vote, it should be held how it's always been done, and not changing the format simply because someone's feelings are hurt or because those that believe they are above others think they should have more voting power than new players.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Leonard J Crabs said:

I have no problems with the admin of the game deciding who gets what awards.

If it's a community vote, it should be held how it's always been done, and not changing the format simply because someone's feelings are hurt or because those that believe they are above others think they should have more voting power than new players.

I don’t think anyone liked how it was done last year, which is the only time I was around for. Although wasn’t always done like last time...

libertyribbon.png

1 minute ago, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

I don’t think anyone liked how it was done last year, which is the only time I was around for. Although wasn’t always done like last time...

Then we shall find a format Alex agrees to and hold them that way.

3 minutes ago, Leonard J Crabs said:

Then we shall find a format Alex agrees to and hold them that way.

The OP can still host them  however the results end up even if his preferred option doesn’t win, so don’t get ahead of yourselves. :P

libertyribbon.png

4 hours ago, Leonard J Crabs said:

So, its been direct democracy every year. Goons and GPWC become a thing, now there's a push to disenfranchise the majority of votes.

Please, tell me how concerned you are for the rights of the community.

Noctis please stop responding to GOONS members. Their only purpose is to get people like you to derail threads further and get all upset for no good reason.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

The OP can still host them  however the results end up even if his preferred option doesn’t win, so don’t get ahead of yourselves. :P

Now you're talking in circles. If the OP disregards the result of the poll and holds them however way he wants, we will rise up and seize the means of meaningless awards. I don't speak for Alex, but I doubt he's going to allow a mindless power grab by the OP when it's clear the majority want it held by direct democracy.

But we shall see?

11 hours ago, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

If one alliance can have over 1,000 votes, makes it pretty easy to win every Category if they tell their members to vote themselves in every category. That’s where it starts to become kind of pointless & just a number game to win.

Noctis, awards already are a numbers game, and they’ve been a numbers game.

49 minutes ago, MCMaster-095 said:

Noctis, awards already are a numbers game, and they’ve been a numbers game.

True, probably actually best to leave it that way & not care about who wins to much.

Edit: I do think we should be able to see who votes what though & have all the voting on the forum preferably though. Make it as transparent as possible at least if having a direct vote on everything. Everything being hidden from most until the results were revealed is what I disliked most about them last year.

Edited by Noctis Anarch Caelum

libertyribbon.png

So.... From what I've gathered, certain alliances were in a position to influence the results of the voting largely in their favor the past couple of years due to their numbers. Now, things are looking different. And suddenly it should be done with delegates? Doesn't sound self-serving at all...

If you're anxious about coalition B members "roqbotting" the votes, why not just keep them anonymous with only Alex or another neutral person being able to see who voted for whom? That way, people are guaranteed to vote for whom they perceive as the best candidate for the respective awards without feeling pressured by the alliance they're in since their leaders could never tell if someone voted for someone not on the alliance's "recommendation list". Also, I doubt that the majority of people who are invested enough to participate in these things would not vote to the best of their own personal judgment. And there's still the option, open to everyone, to leave certain categories blank, should no candidate for the award come to mind, right? So if you can't think of someone you believe deserves the award for "Cinnamon roll of the Year" (obviously a fake award), you'll leave it blank and just vote for what you can actually give your opinion on.

And don't give me the "Oh, but they don't know what they're doing since they're all coalition-B-brainwashed." argument. First of all, voting of any kind will always be subject to personal experiences. So if you're in coalition A, you'll be more likely to have made good experiences with the aforementioned group and coalition B with their own respectively. Secondly, as such, being a turd towards members of the other coalition will generally result in being judged to be lacking, while being treated kindly and fairly will lead to a better public image. That's not rocket science.

Oh and...basically excluding all the players not in an alliance or those in very small ones? I just love the idea! That's so democratic! Let's exclude the minorities. It will be fun!

Also, it seems like a brilliant idea to decide this whole thing in 3 days without prior notice when there are people who might just not be around over the weekend because they have other things to do. You snooze? You lose!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Last time it was done terribly, so there is no system which works & seems to need to be created from scratch each time. Although I think just keeping all the voting completely transparent might be the best way.

Edit: I think someone before mentioned Alex had something about being willing to host the voting in-game, so nations can directly vote. That would actually best I guess. So even if an alliance tells its members to vote a certain way, they can still vote how they want if they have an opinion on any options.

Edited by Noctis Anarch Caelum

libertyribbon.png

Common sense should tell you that with thousands of votes, IQ can control any kind of poll due to the community they built. If you don’t like it, build your own massive player base. The awards ceremony should be considered a fun community event. You shouldn’t have to feel validated by a digital award for an imaginary world.

Try to enjoy yourself, no sense in complaining about it.

• Like 1

image.gif.d80770bf646703bba00c14ad52088af9.gif

Just now, Kevanovia said:

Common sense should tell you that with thousands of votes, IQ can control any kind of poll due to the community they built. If you don’t like it, build your own massive player base. The awards ceremony should be considered a fun community event. You shouldn’t have to feel validated by a digital award for an imaginary world.

Try to enjoy yourself, no sense in complaining about it.

Yeah, if Alex has an in-game voting thing, I think that could be used. If not might as well have it on the forum. If we can see who voted, we'd be able to see if a lot of votes come from forum accounts with no nations. Although also might make members of alliances who want them to vote a certain way feel they should.

Either way is probably fine.

libertyribbon.png

@Noctis Anarch Caelum

You don't have to worry about GPWC skewing the voting. 90% of their alliance is inactive. (pages of purple diamonds literally) There are only about 100 people that actually play. Also they said publicly they wish to not be involved with the meta so if they try to participate now we'll throw the votes out.

@Bartholomew Roberts

I think create an ad for the voting link I game is the best. We can make a Google Poll for the actual voting.

Just now, Deulos said:

@Noctis Anarch Caelum

You don't have to worry about GPWC skewing the voting. 90% of their alliance is inactive. (pages of purple diamonds literally) There are only about 100 people that actually play. Also they said publicly they wish to not be involved with the meta so if they try to participate now we'll throw the votes out.

@Bartholomew Roberts

I think create an ad for the voting link I game is the best. We can make a Google Poll for the actual voting.

If someone has 20 google accounts, wouldn't they get to vote that many times though with that? If its linked to peoples nations or forum accounts, would be easier to keep in check people trying to vote with many accounts. I'm not really worried about GPWC, just was an example of what could maybe be done. Although I don't think its really worth altering the process to try effecting who will win & think a direct vote would be good. Best if its not hosted through some offsite means which can't really be verified that well.

libertyribbon.png

Yeah but the forums are heavily controlled by a handful of alliances. And everyone that plays doesn't have a forum account. If we broadcast it to everyone that plays the game it will be truly public. Google Polls records IP addresses incase anyone tries to vote twice, and you don't have to a Google Account to vote. Just get them to provide nation link, we'll validate afterwards.