12/7/2019 - Removing Downvotes on the Forum

Alex

• Administrators
4 hours ago, durmij said:

I feel like the desired effect could have been reached by just making a rep of 0 be the floor instead of removing downvotes.

As far as I know there's no way to do that. We are limited by the options provided with the forum software.

1 hour ago, japan77 said:

well then. This is just going to increase toxicity or forum bans. lots of people downvote instead of responding because quite frankly, they want to say things that would be very impolite to state in public. You forcing them to respond instead is almost certainly going to result in much more offensive and OOC attacks because surprise, people are !@#$.

I disagree. No one is forced to write toxic or rule-breaking posts. If you choose to do so, you will be rooted out via the forum rules, and the forum will become a less toxic place as toxic players find themselves prohibited from participating.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

31 minutes ago, Papi Salamander said:

ur in goons thats a good enough reason

I've run out of reactions today to Thank you for proving my point that Downvotes were being used as a political weapon and not as a constructive communication tool.

Improper-Request-2.gif

Thanks for biting the bullet, Alex, and demilitarizing the downvote system.

Ironically, the best part of banning downvotes is that you can't even be downvoted for banning downvotes.

Now, will someone give me a ton of ironic thanks and spike my kamras to the roof?

Edited by Inst

I say we use "thanks" ironically as a downvote. While it might be "lazy disagreement", sometimes you disagree but don't wanna reply. This is only going to add to the toxicity, so I certainly hope this wasn't an attempt to fix it. 

Edited by Josh of Clan Mason
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

As far as I know there's no way to do that. We are limited by the options provided with the forum software.

I disagree. No one is forced to write toxic or rule-breaking posts. If you choose to do so, you will be rooted out via the forum rules, and the forum will become a less toxic place as toxic players find themselves prohibited from participating.

wrong, @Akuryois a great point of this. She is smart and understands that the downvote system is needed to reduce toxicity, just look at the post she made.

Edited by Papi Salamander
i dont wanan get muted for a dumb rule

If we're going to ban stuff on the forums, let's ban something worthwhile. Let's ban forum bans & warn points. They're usually just the result of a humorless Mod making an arbitrary judgement on something that doesn't concern them anyway. 

5 hours ago, kalev60 said:

"Bans and warning points" are really just the laziest way to voice disagreement with someone, and contribute to the negativity and toxicity that is plaguing the game currently especially on P&W discord where people receiving em doesn´t even get a reason why at times  :D While i can understand Alex´s desire to make forums and discord more pleasant for all involved, removing problematic people or expression of human emotions like simple act of downvoting to reflect someone´s anger or disagreement to any given stimuli, I do not think removing down votes  will not result in more pleasant exp, if anything it means more oppression, less speech and adds to the "toxicity" that is anonymous human interaction online. If Alex´s goal was to slowly kill his forum and discord and drive Orbis community to their own small parts of discord, furthering playerbase´s growing disdain for the game and it´s owner, then all I can say is Thanks Alex!        

• Upvote 1

STFU

1 hour ago, Pop said:

How am I supposed to know how hot my takes are if they can't be mass downvoted anymore?

KERCHTOG$ has designated Thanks, which adds +1 reputation to your posting record, as the replacement for downvotes. I assume your takes will now be as hot as the sun. :)

@Epi

I have to respectfully disagree.

Please check the forum rules, in particular, this section:

Flaming, Baiting, Trolling, Racism, Sexism, and Name Calling

• Flaming - posts targeted at a player in an effort to anger, hurt, insult, harass, or provoke.
    • Example: Lashing out a player of an action they made in respect to the game and attacking the personally with insults, hatred, or comments that are OOC and do not pertain to the discussion at hand - bullying. Keep it clean and relating to the discussion. 
  • Baiting - coercing a player into breaking the rules.
    • Example: Intentionally making a comment or action that would force another player to break the rules in reply. This means, keep it clean and IC. There is no need to start problems and promote fighting within a discussion.
  • Trolling - deliberately provocative posting with the aim of inciting an angry response.
    • Example: See baiting - additionally, not following proper posting etiquette in the forum with the intention on inciting further flame, troll, and bait posts. 
  • Name Calling - abusive or insulting language referring to a person or group. 
    • Example: Names associated with a person or persons lifestyle, race, religion - etc. Strictly prohibited. 
    • We understand that Roleplay forums are different than most IC Forums - therefore as long as posts are not intended to flame, bait, troll, or hurt another roleplayer - these types of posts are allowed. 
  • Racism and Sexism - having or showing the belief that a particular race or gender is superior to another.
    • Use common sense. We come from all walks of life - all over the world. What may not seem offensive to you may be offensive to someone else in another walk of life. 
    • Example: Using someones race against them to turn or attempt to turn a tide in your favor in any IC or OOC discussion. Likewise, commenting on someone's sexuality, sex, or lifestyle choice and using that information against them with the intention to belittle, demean, or hurt that person or group. 
    • As we allow open discussions and debates, we will allow discussions that are constructive and produce fruitful response within the parameters of the rules and guidelines of the forum or sub-forum you are positing in. Please see the above rules; flaming, baiting, trolling, name calling BEFORE posting your discussion or debate.

Basically, if you want to attack someone, make a substantive post like high-end alliance leaders (Adrienne, Roquentin) do, even if it's loaded with weasel words. If your retort is basically along the lines of Akuryo (who has recently resorted to flaming and name calling against my criticism of the "Thanks" proposal, it will be reported and hopefully it will at least receive a 0-point verbal warn.

Forum rules are gradually being enforced more stringently. As I've mentioned elsewhere, this is resulting in an adaptation process both for the users and the mods (and GOONS, for instance, has been very aggressive in trying to get the rules enforced).

The end result is, if you get what seems to be an un-substantive downvote-equivalent that triggers "flaming", "baiting", "trolling", or "name calling" rules, report it and get it warned by the mods. In the mid-term, this will result in much more work for the forums moderation staff. In the long-term, this will result in a more civil forum (even if it might be more passive-aggressive) that will not result in the same result we had this war where we had rampant OOC attacks and calls to castrate certain alliance leaders.

===

I think the forums is already adapting to the rules change. An initiative was originally intended to make the new "thanks" reaction into a downvote equivalent, but I pointed out that it grants positive reputation.

The adaptations further needed would be:

-#1, reporting contentless posts for spam. There will need to be new forum moderation rules for such things, but merely "terrible" posting is not going to trigger the spam filter.

-#2, ignoring bad posters (don't feed the trolls). If someone is a political "bad poster", i.e, liked by one side and disdained by the other, you can't simply ghost them away because they will end up being shoehorned into the conversation by their own side.

In other words, the "Report Post" button is the new downvote, but unlike the traditional downvote, which could be used mindlessly and with merely ideology backing it, for a "Report Post" to succeed the underlying post actually has to be breaking the rules somewhere.

Edited by Inst

10 hours ago, Alex said:

Hello,

This is just a heads up that I have disabled "downvotes" and negative reputation on the forum. It may take some time to reset all users with negative reputation to the new minimum (zero) so if you're reading this and that hasn't been completed yet, please bear with me for some time.

It's been suggested many times that we revise / eliminate the reputation system, and I've finally decided to act. "Downvotes" are really just the laziest way to voice disagreement with someone, and contribute to the negativity and toxicity that is plaguing the game currently.

If you disagree with someone's post, you'll be forced to type a response explaining why. Single word posts like "no," "this sucks," etc. are still spam and will still earn you warning points as they always have per the Forum Rules.

Also, I've enabled the "Thanks" react to posts as well. Feel free to try it out on this post here :)

image.png.51ce9cae82299673132dc98ecdf7b5b9.png

11 hours ago, Alex said:

Hello,

This is just a heads up that I have disabled "downvotes" and negative reputation on the forum. It may take some time to reset all users with negative reputation to the new minimum (zero) so if you're reading this and that hasn't been completed yet, please bear with me for some time.

It's been suggested many times that we revise / eliminate the reputation system, and I've finally decided to act. "Downvotes" are really just the laziest way to voice disagreement with someone, and contribute to the negativity and toxicity that is plaguing the game currently.

If you disagree with someone's post, you'll be forced to type a response explaining why. Single word posts like "no," "this sucks," etc. are still spam and will still earn you warning points as they always have per the Forum Rules.

Also, I've enabled the "Thanks" react to posts as well. Feel free to try it out on this post here :)

I hereby downvote this.
giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Alex said:

Hello,

This makes no sense. People did reply to arguments and gave good ones. If s person has 26 downvotes for making a toixc argument, and someone replies and has 26 upvotes, are you implying the 26 people who have the same argument should be replying at the same time? I don't understand why you're protecting toxcitiy so adamently.

"Most successful new AA" - Samuel Bates

is there some actual reasoning behind this action? because i dont think its on account of the handful of users that are in the high negatives but rather some other group id rather not name who has been struggling with their community reputation lately

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Throw me to the wolves and I’ll return leading the pack.

SoundsAwful.....Next you'll be charging for entry to the OWF.
Thanks Alex, it's nice to see where your priorities lie. (Hope you haven't forgotten about your Quarterly Report)

Really solid focus of your time and efforts when the game has been crashing and basically unplayable for the last, what, 3/4 days?   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

:nyan:The Volleyball :nyan: 

Avanti Immortali

..one, two, Jimmy's coming for you...

12 hours ago, Inst said:

Now, will someone give me a ton of ironic thanks and spike my kamras to the roof?

thanks

• Thanks 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Game server isn't working properly....

Alex: i'Ll DiSsAbLe DoWnVoTe BuTtOn. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
32204241a4480364cfebb04c10bf72cfaeb4dce2x696.gif
Former Manager t$ and Director of R&D
Former Director of Finance, Security in e$
Founder of The Prate Syndicate(test server)
luffyt$forum.gif

4 hours ago, Dr James Wilson said:

Really solid focus of your time and efforts when the game has been crashing and basically unplayable for the last, what, 3/4 days?   

Alex clearly has his priorities straight, lmao.

• Like 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

3 hours ago, MonkeyDLegend said:

Game server isn't working properly....

Alex: i'Ll DiSsAbLe DoWnVoTe BuTtOn. 

Every time the server is down, I secretly and openly pray that it'll be down for good. Really it's the only way we'll be able to rid ourselves of this Nazi incel neckbeard filled cesspool. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

STFU

• Jax locked this topic