Something to consider

souparmon

Just now, Etatsorp said:

@SleepingNinja  Taking advantage of kids is never ok.  Your mercy board is taking advantage of kids.  You and all your Goon friends are wrong to think otherwise.  I don’t care if someone else did it worse, it’s still not ok.  Grow some balls and admit you’re wrong.

How about you grow some balls and stop crying about your own false narrative?

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

Guest PhantomThiefB
3 minutes ago, Etatsorp said:

@SleepingNinja  Taking advantage of kids is never ok.  Your mercy board is taking advantage of kids.  You and all your Goon friends are wrong to think otherwise.  I don’t care if someone else did it worse, it’s still not ok.  Grow some balls and admit you’re wrong.

1 minute ago, nippythefish said:

How about you grow some balls and stop crying about your own false narrative?

The narrative that taking advantage of kids is wrong is false??  

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Celer Et Audax

14 minutes ago, SleepingNinja said:

1. Did they know the user was 11 when asking them of this?

2. If so, yes obviously that's tactless. But I highly doubt it's the case here. Which is why it isn't a focus for me.

3. I'm just as concerned with that as I am that children are here reading all of our replies. Mercy boards be damned, this forum itself is simply not an appropriate environment for an 11 year old. 

This is exactly part of the problem. If you are in a situation where you cannot reliably know who is on the other side of the screen you can't really argue for informed consent when you're not certain one party is actually able to reliably make that decision. The obvious solution then is just not do the action that might result in asking a child to expose their face to a bunch of adults. 

I like many of GOONS players and some of them I consider friends, but this behavior is gross to me. I said this in DMs to a person in GOONS gov earlier but I'm not just going to sit back and pretend this is okay. If you are in a situation where you have to say the words "we aren't going to ask people to eat pet food anymore" maybe you should realize you fricked up somewhere along the way. 

Edited by Smith
  • Upvote 5

C0r3Fye.png

Just now, Shiho Nishizumi said:

"If you don't go with this, you're free to leave the game. It's OPTIONAL after all."

As we like to say around here, segui participando.

I dont speak Russian.  You quoting me in my defense over our mercy board and then using logs from non-goons as a retort is exactly the kind of mental gymnastics I've come to expect from you people.  The topic is the logs, not the mercy board.  The door is over there, you can see yourself out.

• Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Shiho Nishizumi said:

"If you don't go with this, you're free to leave the game. It's OPTIONAL after all."

As we like to say around here, segui participando.

Looks like you need reading comprehension, GOONS leadership is not present in those logs.

• Upvote 1

Queen of Chaos

8 minutes ago, Akuryo said:

TFW GOONS doesn't understand what the COPPA or CIPA acts are. Or any other such acts protecting children. 

Btw if you think you're in the safe zone, I'd like to remind you YouTube just got annihilated by a 170m COPPA violation fine. Why? Because it wasn't doing the literally impossible good enough. Seriously, have a read, what they went after YouTube for not doing is something it literally does not have the ability to do. Oh and btw, this is over under 13yros being where they weren't supposed to be, so the law doesn't give a damn about the sites rules saying they should not be there.

Turns out mercyboarding children and coercing them to do anything for your entertainment in exchange for any sort of promised benefit, especially the video things, is yeah, not a legality I'd suggest you argue for.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, except for an E-lawyer where in actually quite decent at bending various rule for stupid games. In retrospect, I should've gone to law school. 

But my suggestion going forward would be to very plainly label that the mercyboard is optional. If you ended up in a courtroom right now your defense would get you slapped with $50k+ fine per incident. Because yeah, YOU know it's optional, but looking at the GOONS mercyboard channel, nobody else, especially the younger ones being brought in there, do not. 

Edit: this ignores that Alex, and his company, could also be held liable over it. And this also doesn't account for laws in any other country, where they might be even more brutally iron fisted about it. As I've seen GOONS say, play stupid games, win stupid prizes, it's time for more than just fascists to catch-up to current year.

TL;DR - remove the illusion of choice and replace it with an actual one. State right upfront on the tin, none of this mandatory, it's just for fun, and there's another, perfectly good way you can achieve this same benefit, from us, without any of this. Toss in some extra wording imploring ways to protect their identity if they participate, and a judge might actually side with it. 

Anywho, that marks the end of my ride on the jump on GOONS train. I'd prefer frankly, that you got rid of them entirely, I think. However, I also think no matter how reasonable it may be to demand that, it likely wouldn't happen. So I hope this suggested compromise leaves everyone dissatisfied and not one upset parent away from a federal court. Even if it would give Alex the big news headline he's been waiting for, "no publicity is bad publicity" as they say.

• Downvote 1

Queen of Chaos

Just now, nippythefish said:

I dont speak Russian.  You quoting me in my defense over our mercy board and then using logs from non-goons as a retort is exactly the kind of mental gymnastics I've come to expect from you people.  The topic is the logs, not the mercy board.  The door is over there, you can see yourself out.

I summed up your garbage "optional" argument (both in regards to the pet food and the boards themselves) in a sentence.

Oh, apologies. Maybe I should be citing your leader instead.

The intentions are there, and they're being substantiated by actions as well. But by all means, keep trying to defend your little source of amusement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

G3.gif.d8066d8dc749ad2d0835fe69095fa73b.gif

Guest PhantomThiefB
6 minutes ago, nippythefish said:

They had to find a way to distract us that George just threw a ton of OOC info out to the public and Col A jumped all over it happily. So using the GOONs mercy boards was the perfect move to distract us from their incredibly low moral integrity. I mean you'd think if Col A really cared they'd have made a separate topic to call you all out on in the first place, which they likely already knew about.

6 minutes ago, Shiho Nishizumi said:

I summed up your garbage "optional" argument (both in regards to the pet food and the boards themselves) in a sentence.

Oh, apologies. Maybe I should be citing your leader instead.

The intentions are there, and they're being substantiated by actions as well. But by all means, keep trying to defend your little source of amusement.

DNFJ is no longer leading GOONS?

• Upvote 1

Queen of Chaos

12 minutes ago, AppealDenied said:

Uh, it's made clear to applicants that they don't have to do them.

lol.png

Yeah that's not what's said there either. This is the illusion of choice I was talking about. You're dealing with a law that just slammed a company, in America, that's part of a government who loooves corporations, because they weren't doing the Literally impossible. 

It needs to be clearly stated, in a way similar to what I suggested, or you're wearing nothing for armor. Peer pressure and coercion either don't even list alternative options or intentionally make them appear like the wrong choice. There is not a listed alternative option AT ALL in that screencap that results in the same benefit theyd gain from going through with it. 

The choice needs to be blatant, not subtly implied, not when you can unknowingly be dealing with children. Or as I said, don't, play the stupid game, and risk winning an even dumber prize. I don't see the point in such completely unnecessary risk over a dumb browser game, but I suppose I'm just uncultured then.

Edited by Akuryo
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Akuryo said:

The choice needs to be blatant, not subtly implied, not when you can unknowingly be dealing with children.

This is a fair point and future mercyboards will reflect this, cheers.

• Upvote 5

Queen of Chaos

33 minutes ago, SleepingNinja said:

They had to find a way to distract us that George just threw a ton of OOC info out to the public and Col A jumped all over it happily. So using the GOONs mercy boards was the perfect move to distract us from their incredibly low moral integrity. I mean you'd think if Col A really cared they'd have made a separate topic to call you all out on in the first place, which they likely already knew about.

Look. logs with lots of IC stuff which contained some OOC were shared. The *moment* it was brough to our attention that there was OOC stuff in it, attempts were made to take the logs out of circulation.

Mistake made without malicious intent --> notification of mistake ---> attempt to correct mistake.

Let's not try to frame it as anything more than that.

• Upvote 2

os9LcJK.gif

42 minutes ago, AppealDenied said:

That wasn't a threat.  He's trying to help you by  giving you information you weren't aware of to avoid a potential nightmare.

EDIT: I see you understand.  Cheers. 

Edited by AkAk
  • Upvote 1