Remove Reputation System

Noctis Anarch Caelum

Removal of the Reputation System  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Reputation System be Removed?

• Yes
    • No

Suggestion: Removal of the Reputation System

The Reputation System is largely used for political reasons & for those who don't think it is; they're the most easily influenced by those who do use it purely politically. Considering it can't be customized to being a better system, the only options would be to keep it or remove it. I think it should be removed & it's mostly abused. Alex said I could suggest Removal of the Reputation System, so it will probably be removed if there is support for it.

libertyribbon.png

It’s been suggested before, and while this probably won’t get much traction, no offense, because you’re the one suggesting it, I do think this is a good idea.

People change their behavior for that little endorphin rush of seeing people upvote their posts. It’s science at this point in the real world. I would rather have true conversations than “sick burns” and dumb gimmicks.

Plus people abuse it by downvoting previous posts by certain users they dislike so it’s not at all an accurate picture of who a “good” poster is anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Administrators

One option is that we can keep upvotes/downvotes and reactions to posts while removing the reputation award. I.E. You can upvote/downvote to show support/disfavor but it won't be totaled and reflected on your forum profile.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

1 minute ago, Alex said:

One option is that we can keep upvotes/downvotes and reactions to posts while removing the reputation award. I.E. You can upvote/downvote to show support/disfavor but it won't be totaled and reflected on your forum profile.

This is an improvement over getting rid of it completely. Since that is the useful part, showing dissatisfaction or approval of specific posts.

libertyribbon.png

If downvoting posts caused them to be hidden from view, I'd agree with you. Removing the reputation system or limiting how it affects a person's forum reputation won't cause anyone committed to their gimmicks to change them.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Cypher said:

Honestly I’d be in favour of just removing downvotes and allow upvotes to be tallied.

The only customizing that can be done while keeping it partly I'm aware of is the one Alex mentioned, where people can rate posts without the build up of reputation. I think that is probably the best option and what he should do regardless of the poll result.

libertyribbon.png

@Alex sorry for this ping - if it's off topic and/or I should make a thread in the Forum Reports section instead I will:

Is there any reason why the OP of this thread, Noctis Anarch Caelum, has only a -39 reputation rating currently, despite having over 900 downvotes on his account? The math just doesn't check out.

GnaQU6f.png

I could have sworn this guy used to have the 'King of Downvotes' tag a day or so ago. It makes sense that he'd like to abolish the system, all things considered.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Improper-Request-2.gif

I mostly suggested removing the system despite it failing when suggested by others is Alex mentioned doing it. Even if GOONS haven't started using it for downvoting yet (other than me I guess after my points got reset), they are using it to upvote each other.

Where mods might take their reports extra seriously thinking they are high rep members just by manipulating the system in the most basic manner on an alliance scale.

libertyribbon.png

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Cypher said:

Honestly I’d be in favour of just removing downvotes and allow upvotes to be tallied.

To be clear, this is possible as well.

• Upvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

1 hour ago, dragonshardz said:

My dude, rep doesn't affect the decisions the moderators make. That's just not how it works.

Rep is 100% pure vanity.

Imo the forums should have rap sheet buttons (and a different moderation style) instead of rep. That way when you see dumb dumbs being dumb and posting poorly you can click it and see every time they caught a month long vacation from the forums. Here's an example of what I mean using a notoriously awful poster from the Debate and Discussion subforum of SA. 

https://imgur.com/CT6jvtL
https://imgur.com/t4mXm0q

Edited by Marxalot
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Players who suggested this:

-Noctis

-Dubayoo

Really makes me think

1 hour ago, Kurnugia said:

I am against removing upvotes that's for sure. It is an easy way for lurkers like me to reward content we enjoy on the forums.

Yup, this

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marxalot said:

Imo the forums should have rap sheet buttons (and a different moderation style) instead of rep. That way when you see dumb dumbs being dumb and posting poorly you can click it and see every time they caught a month long vacation from the forums. Here's an example of what I mean using a notoriously awful poster from the Debate and Discussion subforum of SA. 

Agreed.

• Downvote 2

i2FSAiF.gif

7 hours ago, Marxalot said:

I'd like to +1 this notion, but I'm 'out of reactions' for the day, so I'm posting my support instead of upvoting.

Having a "paper trail" of warnings helps moderators and fellow posters alike to spot repeat offenders and keep them within the game's civil communication guidelines.

Improper-Request-2.gif

On 11/30/2019 at 6:48 AM, Bartholomew Roberts said:

It’s been suggested before, and while this probably won’t get much traction, no offense, because you’re the one suggesting it, I do think this is a good idea.

People change their behavior for that little endorphin rush of seeing people upvote their posts. It’s science at this point in the real world. I would rather have true conversations than “sick burns” and dumb gimmicks.

Plus people abuse it by downvoting previous posts by certain users they dislike so it’s not at all an accurate picture of who a “good” poster is anyway.

I agree!

The up-vote and down-vote function in its current form seems to be purely a mechanism that promotes the value of public opinion over content. 

Certainly the value of public opinion is contestable, however I see it as a contributor to either a homogeneous, or a polarized and dysfunctional community.  Neither of these situations are much fun IMO, and possibly hurts the recruitment and retention of players (read sources of funding).  It seems to be the kind of thing that appeals to those prone to herd mentality, and generally empowers the mindless.  It will likely be stifling the submission of ideas, and perhaps even social interaction, inherently giving support to the majority over the minority, and as such I think it is a negative feature on this forum.  Anything that allows a positive contribution should be kept, such as the up-vote function.  The absence of a down-vote function will not stop people from publicly being seen to disagree, but will require them to put in a bit of effort to do so, and encourage debate.

Going a bit deeper, the up-vote / down-vote system also promotes a dichotomous approach to ideas.  This IMO is unhealthy, and IRL we see it all the time i.e. those who hold a different view are evil (vs good).  This often leads to ad hominem attacks, an overused and poisonous fallacy of argument, and absolutely unnecessary.  Where IC persona's are a target of ad hominem attacks, so the risk of OOC attacks increase.

As an aside, I do wonder how many people refrain from up-voting, or indeed engaging in discussion about any one of Noctis's posts purely because of the reputation inflicted upon him by down-voters alone.

• Upvote 1

Celer Et Audax

On 11/29/2019 at 3:01 PM, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

Suggestion: Removal of the Reputation System

The Reputation System is largely used for political reasons & for those who don't think it is; they're the most easily influenced by those who do use it purely politically. Considering it can't be customized to being a better system, the only options would be to keep it or remove it. I think it should be removed & it's mostly abused. Alex said I could suggest Removal of the Reputation System, so it will probably be removed if there is support for it.

downvote.png

Love you