CPU wars for nerd losers like me

durmij

I'm still in 2011 with my i7-2600k, but next year it will be a Zen 3 and i'm quite gleeful that Intel gets thrashed by AMD now after they ripped off their customers with ~8? refreshs and still dare to shove a i9-10980XE on the market instead of just lowering the prices for what they have and going back into a long R&D slumber.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, ArcKnox said:

Don't worry intel bros, 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++ got this

I know you joke, but it is actually 14+++++ at the moment

39 minutes ago, Odin said:

I'm still in 2011 with my i7-2600k, but next year it will be a Zen 3 and i'm quite gleeful that Intel gets thrashed by AMD now after they ripped off their customers with ~8? refreshs and still dare to shove a i9-10980XE on the market instead of just lowering the prices for what they have and going back into a long R&D slumber.

I went from a 4690k to a 3700x. Might get whatever the top of the 4000 line is next year, assuming the 4950k, and sell the 3700x while it retains it's value. Mini threadripper is one hell of a deal

Edited by durmij

11 minutes ago, ArcKnox said:

They're certainly doing better than their gpus

anno-1800-1920-1080.png

fotWSru.png

Yeah, this is really bizarre because the 5700xt is actually really capable and fantastic. Even accounting for AMD "fine wine", this card is terrible in it's price range. This is what the 5300 should have been. Hopefully there isn't going to be a full sized 5300 and it stays in laptops, because there's no room for it down there with the 5500 being so bad.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:56 PM, ArcKnox said:

Don't worry intel bros, 14nm+++++++++++++++++++++ got this

Looks like Intel is planning to be on 14nm at least through the end of 2021. By then AMD might be on 6 or 5.

The new Adrenalin 2020 drivers dropped the temperatures on my 5700xt by 4 degrees while clocking it up 120mhz and stabilizing the clocks. I haven't set a new voltage curve, but I suspect there are more gains to be had.

The result of the new voltage curve, 190mhz over the previous driver, the card now throttles down to a level higher than my previous sustained, the internal handling of thermals is now much better, as the card slows down instead of stopping and the fan is 200 rpm slower.

All of this has translated into about 10% average FPS gains in 4k benchmarks and titles.

Benchmarks for 5500 xt are out. No real improvement over 580/590 or 1650 super. 8gb version is a horrible value.

On 11/27/2019 at 3:29 PM, ArcKnox said:

fotWSru.png

To steal a joke from youtube comments

>Don't worry amd bros, r9 290+++++++++++++++++ got this

Edited by ArcKnox

Praise Dio. Every !@#$ing day.

1 hour ago, ArcKnox said:

Benchmarks for 5500 xt are out. No real improvement over 580/590 or 1650 super. 8gb version is a horrible value.

To steal a joke from youtube comments

>Don't worry amd bros, r9 290+++++++++++++++++ got this

Yeah people are being pretty savage on it, and supposedly there is a 5600xt coming out? Even with the eventual improvements AMD cards get from driver maturity, they're crowding the product space just as bad or worse than Nvidia. It's getting called the 5500 Super by some. Trash tier price to performance. 

The theory is that this is a paper launch with most of the 5500 boards going to much better value OEM cards, but this is AMDs first big screw up in a while. It's going to dampen the enthusiasm for Big Navi whenever it comes out, and I was getting pumped for the 6969xt or whatever it'll end up being.

15 minutes ago, ArcKnox said:

@durmij

unknown.png

Yeah, there isn't anything else in that price range. The 5500xt is just a 580 with less power draw. The new theory is that the 580 will be discontinued and the 5500xt will price drop, but I think the reality is that AMD thought they could pull an Intel and charge more for the same performance because it's new. Big Navi better not follow the same trend.

Turns out the 5500xt is optimized for pcie 4 x8. Running on an AMD board grants it 10 to 15 % fps more, but most benchmarkers use the 9900k which is limited to pcie 3.

Still not worth it, but it is an interesting scenario.

3 hours ago, ArcKnox said:

>Card is now marginally better than 1650 super

>Need to buy an x570 mobo and ryzen 3000 cpu to get this improvement

?

I mean the card will see further improvements is the coming drivers, but again, AMD needs to start delivering on launch day in the majority of scenarios. Those reviews are going to hang around like wet farts.

Could be worse. Most of the pre builts available in my area work out to charging 1650 super prices for the 1660. Because it's totally reasonable to take 1100 USD from someone and hand them back a system with 3 gigs of vram.

On 12/20/2019 at 5:06 AM, ArcKnox said:

>Card is now marginally better than 1650 super

>Need to buy an x570 mobo and ryzen 3000 cpu to get this improvement

?

It's apparently more like 60 percent in some cases. The card is limited to 8 pcie lanes, so while other cards can fully utilize a 3x16 slot, the 5500xt checks completely choked out with bandwidth. Not only is this a bad decision that makes no sense and doesn't affect any other card in the range, it wasn't communicated to reviewers. So, everyone's 9900k test bench is still stuck on pcie 3 and the card looks way worse than it is. 

AMD would be the best component maker in the world if they'd start communicating and stop hobbling their products on launch day.

21 hours ago, durmij said:

It's apparently more like 60 percent in some cases. The card is limited to 8 pcie lanes, so while other cards can fully utilize a 3x16 slot, the 5500xt checks completely choked out with bandwidth. Not only is this a bad decision that makes no sense and doesn't affect any other card in the range, it wasn't communicated to reviewers. So, everyone's 9900k test bench is still stuck on pcie 3 and the card looks way worse than it is. 

AMD would be the best component maker in the world if they'd start communicating and stop hobbling their products on launch day.

Nevermind, apparently the gains are only that dramatic in some cherry picked scenarios. The average is much closer to 10%, but the results are wildly inconsistent. The bigger issue seems to be the 4gb of VRAM getting flooded on occasion and transmitting over PCIE, then the hobbled bandwith hurts the card.

• 3 weeks later...

Motherboard manufacturers are having a hard time making boards because the 10900k currently draws over 300 watts at peak, because they just glued 2 cores onto the 9900k.

Honestly, AMD gpus are still somewhat competitive as Nvidia decided to make their flagships $1000+ for some dumb reason. They got a 40% drop in sales this line because of that so hopefully they reduce their prices when their next line drops rather than seeing if AMD will try raising their GPU prices to match.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win