Calculating the IRL financial cost of this war.

Thalmor

8 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I would argue that it may have also increased productivity, actually. In some cases people started creating due to this game:

• graphics
  • bots
  • super spreadsheets for logistics, etc.
  • great documentation, guides and so on

Leaving aside the "non-productive" part of the above (like... making people happy), all of the above have made people acquire new skills, either social or technical ones, thus increasing productivity (you, damn capitalist).

So, I would focus mainly on the credits part and not this more abstract concern. :P

Those things haven't generated any wealth though, whereas it would be theoretically possible for someone working at a job to generate wealth (which they don't do when they play P&W). I do agree 110% that it is an abstract and nebulous thought though.

With that being said, I also think those things you described are valuable in a different way. I think they stand on their own as useful pieces of information, but learning how to program a bot, or do graphic design, or write effectively, or make spreadsheets do translates well into the job market and increase the market value of the person learning the skill. Politics and War certain provides good experience for people who will be doing those things professionally.

Speaking of, I have personally gained invaluable communication skills from this game. From watching how people make arguments on the OWF, to watching how leaders and high gov discuss things privately. Over the years I've applied the same 'tactics' and arguments for myself and I'm a much better person for it socially and in business. You can't put a price on that.

• Upvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

It wouldn't be "correct" by any means, but just for fun you could calculate the game dollar value of everything lost in the war, and then convert it to credits, at either the market rate, or the flat 15m rate, and then multiply the amount of credits by the real money cost of buying one.

Not accurate of course, because it would assume all the wealth in the game came from credits, but a fun number to come up with all the same.

A simple metric is calculating the money keked ig and converting it to credits and converting credits to irl money.

If we think 3T is keked, that is around 20000 credits. 1 credit is 5$.

Then, it is $100,000 keked.

Tldr, wars make the sheep rich.

18 minutes ago, Menhera said:

Take me as an example, who learned how to use and create spreadsheets, how to operate an image design program, how to program simple bots etc. Just because i play this game.

I absolutely love it because it is a fun way to learn those things that are actually useful later in life ^.^

Yep lmao

I've learnt to add pictures to videos, work with spreadsheets, modify codes and annoy people from being at this game.

I've also learnt the art of shitting as well as acting as a total retar*(watch goons report me for calling myself a mentally challenged person lol). 

Tldr, the game has taught me a lot but with the toxicity going around, I am literally planning on exiting it.

• Like 1

Interesting point. When I was in Pantheon and getting attacked I'd routinely buy credits when blockaded (because my city count was low so I could just spambuy multiple cities.)

Any new alliances created as a result of this war probably required credits, unless the founders took a trip to Pantheon, who I've heard are happy to provide you with alliance set-up funds.

Now this is not perfect by a long shot because very few in game resources and money is generated through credits, I think, correct me if I am wrong.

Using the NPOwned war statistics for this global there has been $2,231,909,296,556 total damage. 
Right now you can buy 1 Credit for $3.50 USD and can exchange that credit for $15,000,000.
Using that conversion rate $2,231,909,296,556 / $15,000,000 = 148,793 credits worth of resources have been destroyed so far in this war.
148,793 * $3.50 = $520,775.50 USD has been destroyed during the global.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

gg-fu-banner.png

Downvoted because you easily could have taken the current market value of credits and current total damage done during the war to calculate the IRL cost using your logic, but you didn't.

Darn it Thalmor, even if it's not at all an accurate metric, you shoulda done it to increase the quality of the poopost!

• Haha 2

Love you

3 hours ago, Viselli said:

Now this is not perfect by a long shot because very few in game resources and money is generated through credits, I think, correct me if I am wrong.

Using the NPOwned war statistics for this global there has been $2,231,909,296,556 total damage. 
Right now you can buy 1 Credit for $3.50 USD and can exchange that credit for $15,000,000.
Using that conversion rate $2,231,909,296,556 / $15,000,000 = 148,793 credits worth of resources have been destroyed so far in this war.

That's actually not true. The $3.50 price is only for if you're older than 60 days, haven't bought credits in 180, and only extends for up to 10 credits. The base price is 4.99, or 5, really.

With that in consideration a more accurate number is $743,965 which assumes the standard non discount price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akuryo said:

That's actually not true. The $3.50 price is only for if you're older than 60 days, haven't bought credits in 180, and only extends for up to 10 credits. The base price is 4.99, or 5, really.

With that in consideration a more accurate number is $743,965 which assumes the standard non discount price.

Ah I've never bought credits, I did not know that. Guess the only question is if we will hit 1 million USD in damage before the end. 

gg-fu-banner.png

3 minutes ago, Viselli said:

Ah I've never bought credits, I did not know that. Guess the only question is if we will hit 1 million USD in damage before the end. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we did ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viselli said:

1 hour ago, Akuryo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we did ?

Several EVE community media hyped a certain battle some years ago as the "Million-Dollar Battle." At the rate this war is accruing losses, it might become the "Million-Dollar War" by the end of January, if not the end of December.

(Of course, EVE Online has surpassed that benchmark years ago.)

Edited by Kerbollo
  • Upvote 1

Attempting to contact Kerbin since 1983 (in-game)...

Hey, have anyone seen those fireworks? What do you mean, Jeb had them strapped to SRBs?

Discord: Ray3501#0305. I frequent the SK Network discord (duh).

1 hour ago, Viselli said:

Given that our coalition's leaders appear determined to not allow the war to end until the alliances we're fighting all quit the game, I'd say it's a certainty.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thalmor said:

I was talking to a friend about how the wars in EVE: Online are interesting because the wars in that game actually destroy IRL wealth because of how their system of subscription works. Like, if I remember correctly, there are these 'subscription tokens' people buy with real money and sell on the in-game market. This gives a conversation rate so when big ships get destroyed it wipes out real value or something like that.

So, I got to thinking about if any wealth is destroyed in wars in this game. P&W is free to play, so the answer is 'not really', but there are a few things I can think of.

For starters, people do dump their IRL money into credits and use those credits to get in-game money when they're blockaded, or they use credits to get resources they need. I remember Inst mentioning how he dumped lots of money into credits to help support TKR during Knightfall. Due to the length and size of this war, I'm willing to guess that thousands of dollars in credits have been used (and then subsequently used or looted). 

This one is a bit of a stretch, but I also wonder how IRL productivity has been destroyed by P&W. This is a game that can be played on a work computer at work. It can also be played on a phone. A home inspector can take a minute while on a roof to log in and collect his daily log-in bonus. An office worker can log in for a few minutes to launch his attacks. Lord know's how many students have taken out their phones in them middle of class or used their labtops to log in and do something (or shitpost on Discord). All these little minutes of lost productivity add up and over the years and many thousands of players, who knows how much wealth has been lost to P&W.

Alex is literally destroying the global economy.

I categorically reject any and all allegations that I have shitposted during college classes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

os9LcJK.gif

10 hours ago, Viselli said:

Your math is awful

• Downvote 1