Inst Weight Loss Diary

Lu Xun

Only down to about 178 lbs today. IMO, this is moving way too slowly. I'm thinking about moving to 72 hour intermittent fasting, but I'd need to make the point (10 days fasting) first. This would imply that I fast through Sunday.

Doing 1.5 lbs per day, over the next 6 days, I'd be able to reduce another 9 pounds and hit 169 pounds. Then intermittent fasting should guarantee around 2 pounds per 3 days. That's 23 days, or about 16 pounds dropping me to a target of approximately 153 pounds by the end of the month. Which still keeps me 18 pounds distant from my 135 lb goal, but at that point, I'd already have blown through 37 pounds. How hard is the last 18 pounds going to be?

Down to 175.4 pounds, which implies I can hit 171 or environs weight by the time I break fast. I think the way I'll do it is start a 10 day fast early on the 10th, then recover for 2 days and then switch to intermittent fasting. That'd be an expected weight of 160 pounds, with about 6 pounds lost to end the month (and year) at 154 pounds. That still puts me at 19 pounds to go between 154 and 135, which might be doable by the end of January.

Still haven't been able to defecate yet. This Tabasco sauce is ridiculously ineffective, although my intestines have been grumbling all along. The Shirataki more or less just added .5 pounds to my body weight without flushing out my Thanksgiving meal.

Have a scale telling me I'm about 173.5 pounds, but I doubt its accuracy. I have another 48 hours left, and the scale that I trust (because it's on the high side) will likely tell me I'm 173 or 171 pounds by then.

I'm ironically thinking about oysters as a way to break fast. I'm about 4.5 days in, and I'm tired, fatigued, and have a headache out the wazoo. On further reference, the Tiantai / Tendai sect has a rather prolonged fast:

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-34604802

But unlike Tendai adherents, I have slept, eaten foodstuffs not exceeding 30 calories per day, and I've drunk prodigious amounts of tea. Maybe I'll give it a shot, and attempt to do the trek over a few years.

Down to 171.8-172.8 pounds, depending on the scale. It's been roughly 15 days since I've started fasting, so the weight loss rate is about 1 lb / day (total) and 1.5 lbs / fasting day. Looks like I have good odds of hitting a 170 lb target by the time I break fast tomorrow. But I'll still be overweight by S'porean standards for my ethnicity.

Fasting for 48 hours, imo, is worth it for anyone who has issues with their weight. You can stuff it into a weekend and discover that your weight is something you can control. Moreover, when you fast, you experience an extreme short-term clarity that, imo, is sincerely liberating. Please remember, however, that fasting beyond 48-72 hours, especially if you are of normal weight, requires medical supervision unless you want to kill yourself.

1 hour ago, CandyShi said:

I’ve been refraining from responding due to respect for your personal decisions, but I think I draw the line at encouraging others to follow you.

Starving yourself for more than a day isn’t healthy. Don’t do this.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/water-fasting

But it's Candyshi.

In other news, I'm considering trying an 18 day burst instead of only 10 days, because this is a normal fasting practice in Mahayana Buddhism for monastics. The experts have gotten up to 72 days, but this is considered exceptionally grueling and you'd probably need substantial body weight to make it work for so long. And of course, the monastics are monitored.

One thing I've thought about recently is "Food addiction". Turns out, this is literally a thing, and something above and beyond merely needing a certain calorie input to sustain body functions.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=3126&bih=2079&ei=W3XoXd0I8PHmAonFrJAP&q=food+addiction&oq=food+addiction&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.1061.2425..2723...0.4..0.98.1054.14......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i131j0i67j0i131i273j0i273.c5_M9jdA_x4&ved=0ahUKEwidos_FxJ3mAhXwuFkKHYkiC_IQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

Food addiction is when you have a psychological compulsion to eat, and obviously this class of irrationality transcends mere questions of eating to live.

The most important part, for me, of overcoming food addiction is understanding that hunger is normal, and that simply because you're hungry, you don't necessarily need to eat. You only need to eat in order to maintain a certain body weight and/or avoid malnutrition. The difference between food addiction and food dependency (i.e, you're a biological creature) is simply this eat-to-live vs live-to-eat distinction.

As for the monastic diet, I'll also switch down from caffeine (no tea, just water) and also drop my nicotine habit. The target weight loss will be approximately 27 pounds, or a drop from 170 pounds to about 143 pounds, although I doubt I'll reach it.

Another point of interest is that given that I'm losing 1.5 lbs per day, I'm roughly burning through 5000 calories per day, which is way more than my basal metabolic rate and caloric requirements. It's an interesting phenomenon and either implies biological inefficiency or that I'm losing a lot of water weight as my fat goes down.

Down to 171 pounds. This phase of fasting is effectively over, I'm headed for oysters and an Argentine grill soon.

In the recovery phase, I shouldn't exceed 175 pounds. I have about 72 hours of eating left to me; once I get to the 8th, I'm going to try to fast for 18 days, terminating around noon of the 26th.

@Inst you sound like you might have an eating disorder.  This sort of attitude to eating and weightloss is very unhealthy.  FYI fasting causes the release of stress hormones that (off the top of my head) trigger fat storage, muscle protein breakdown, hypertension and many other undesirable things.  Your weight loss is quite likely to be mostly water, muscle breakdown, and yes a little fat.

• Upvote 1

Celer Et Audax

13 hours ago, Etatsorp said:

@Inst you sound like you might have an eating disorder.  This sort of attitude to eating and weightloss is very unhealthy.  FYI fasting causes the release of stress hormones that (off the top of my head) trigger fat storage, muscle protein breakdown, hypertension and many other undesirable things.  Your weight loss is quite likely to be mostly water, muscle breakdown, and yes a little fat.

Turns out I do. I have a binge eating issue, i.e, I tend to eat too much and to snack too much.

My actual weight history for the past 7 years has ranged from 165 pounds to 220 pounds. This is roughly between 22.8 BMI to 28.8 BMI, between the boundaries of slightly under overweight and obese.

Let me put it another way, we know one of your TKR friends. That person has a serious eating disorder because they're roughly underweight and still conceive of themselves as fat. I, on the other hand, am medically overweight on a BMI basis and medically OBESE on a body fat percentage basis. I'm resorting to drastic intervention to resolve this issue, and most people here end up resorting to their preconceived notions of fasting is wrong.

There's recent and substantial medical research on the topic. Traditionally, fasting was researched as a potential solution for obesity. Unfortunately, people died due to a lack of fine-tuned control and the concept was dropped. However, as fasting is culturally ingrained (intermittent or single-meal fasting is common in many religions, as mentioned before, Buddhist ascetics will run it for up to 72 days, although that's highly dangerous and implies pre-bloating of at least 40 pounds above normal weight), it still has adherents and modified versions, such as 5-2 or 48 / 72 intermittent fasting, came into the fore, with substantially less danger.

As for actual news, after weighing myself, I am now back up to 177 pounds. I'm going to be eating for another 3 days at this rate, so I forgive myself easily for the overeating. The last time, for instance, I was calorie restricting as I had planned a proper diet over 3-4 months. This time, well...

The current plan is as follows. Approximately at noon, on the 8th, I stop eating again. This time, I take up the Lotus Sutra, and hopefully manage to lose another 27 lbs from my former minimum weight of 171 pounds, water fasting (as in, strict water fasting) for 18 days, ending on the 26th at noon. That solves the "spiritual" or "moral" element of fasting, i.e, I manage to finish fasting as a means of self-mortification and to endure suffering.

Then fasting / exercise is now to reach my target weight of 135 pounds. The plan is 3 cycles of 72 hour intermittent fasting over 9 days, with a goal of losing 4 pounds. Then I am 137 pounds. Then, 2 cycles of 48 hour intermittent fasting, as I'd be rapidly approaching underweight status,with a goal of losing 2 pounds. Voila, 135.

As for the unplanned rapidity of recent weight gain, I could attempt to fast to nuke it away, but I'm going to see how much I can cycle in the next day. 20 miles might be nice (effectively 3-4 hours of cycling at 10 mph, with time allotted for breaks). It probably won't do much, but will help keep my metabolism in order.

I won’t comment further on your diet beyond saying that it just doesn’t sit well with what I think I know. Of course I wish you well in your pursuit of a healthy body constitution!  Be careful buddy, help and advice is always there if you look for it

• Upvote 1

Celer Et Audax

New problem: massive constipation. I'm trying to deal with the fecal impaction by drinking lots of water. I could try a conventional laxative, but all the tabasco sauce I've been drinking doesn't seem to work, so why should a laxative do the job?

Note to self: the last meal before the fast starts should be fiber heavy. The first meal after the fast ends should be fiber heavy.

Weight, as well, is up to 181, so while I'm not aborting my planned 18 day fast as it's for spiritual/personal reasons, my expectations of its efficacy is actually quite low.

Just an interesting show article about how to manipulate your weight quickly using water loss / gain techniques:

https://tim.blog/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

• 2 weeks later...

Stable at roughly 181 pounds, which implies that 10 days of fasting resulted in a total weight loss of approximately 5 pounds, matching predictions by fasting experts of half a pound of fat/muscle per day.

I've been trying to restart fasting, but it's been difficult because I've been trying to quit smoking at the same time. I ultimately decided to begin a fast first, then quit smoking. Targeting 3 days this time.

Edited by Inst

• 1 month later...

Inst honestly mate, you're an Idiot if you think this is helping you. You're doing an enormous amount of damage to your health. 

I'll share a personal story in the hopes you stop this, and that others never attempt such reckless fasting, which I have first hand experience in.

When I was 12, I had an eating disorder, so much so that I was 15kg (33Ibs) under weight (Should've weighed 39kg, I was 24kg). I had a period of time where I went for days without food, it got so bad I was pretty close to death and probably wouldn't have lived past 2007. My parents tired all they could to help me gain weight yet nothing they could do would work, it was only through the help from pediatricians at a major Australian hospital were they able to find the cause of the eating disorder. After 1 month of being on a medicine, I gained 13kgs, so much extra weight I was complaining about my feet hurting since I'd never had such a weight before. 

I'm now 24 years old, weighing 102kg and 193cm tall, and I'm healthier than ever, yet even now I'm still affected by the damage prolonged eating problems caused me, so for god sakes go to a doctor and get help for your weight loss because doing this stuff on your own is going to cause you damage that will stay with you for the rest of your life. 

Also... you aren't 'plotting; our demise, your more likely unwittingly plotting your own demise, if you think an online game is more important than doing basic things like eating then you seriously need medical help even more urgently cause that's not right at all.

Edited by Sphinx
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sphinx said:

Inst honestly mate, you're an Idiot if you think this is helping you. You're doing an enormous amount of damage to your health. 

I'll share a personal story in the hopes you stop this, and that others never attempt such reckless fasting, which I have first hand experience in.

When I was 12, I had an eating disorder, so much so that I was 15kg (33Ibs) under weight (Should've weighed 39kg, I was 24kg). I had a period of time where I went for days without food, it got so bad I was pretty close to death and probably wouldn't have lived past 2007. My parents tired all they could to help me gain weight yet nothing they could do would work, it was only through the help from pediatricians at a major Australian hospital were they able to find the cause of the eating disorder. After 1 month of being on a medicine, I gained 13kgs, so much extra weight I was complaining about my feet hurting since I'd never had such a weight before. 

I'm now 24 years old, weighing 102kg and 193cm tall, and I'm healthier than ever, yet even now I'm still affected by the damage prolonged eating problems caused me, so for god sakes go to a doctor and get help for your weight loss because doing this stuff on your own is going to cause you damage that will stay with you for the rest of your life. 

Also... you aren't 'plotting; our demise, your more likely unwittingly plotting your own demise, if you think an online game is more important than doing basic things like eating then you seriously need medical help even more urgently cause that's not right at all.

Nobody knows what these weird numbers are that you are using. Might as well say, I weigh 87 smurfs, and am 130 trillion atoms tall...  get your shit together sphinx.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

Nobody knows what these weird numbers are that you are using. Might as well say, I weigh 87 smurfs, and am 130 trillion atoms tall...  get your shit together sphinx.

Adopt the metric system! 

Guest Elijah Mikaelson

I have been reading this, Inst I am sorry you feel you have to do this to yourself, I am more so concerned that @Alex and the Staff at PnW has aloud this self harming to be a public display.

Anyone who talks about weight lost and how they struggle will generally pull in people who suffer in the same way, and the things you are telling people is simply wrong, you do not understand the self harming you are doing not only mentally but physically and you are promoting it to others.

Anyone who read this topic, staving yourself is not the way to go, true fasting is where you eat the food you need within eight hours, what Inst is doing is not fasting its staving.

Inst with the symptoms you have mentioned you have taken this to far and you should seek some help. 

"Concern trolling". If Alex is being pinged over this, let me point out that this is a microcosm of the forums. It's just people pretending that they know things feigning concern for people they detest against a volume of authoritative information otherwise, including commentary on mainstream religious practices which are implicitly being called insane.

Edited by Inst
  • Upvote 1

Oh no, religions are quite logical if you understand what a predicate logic system actually means. In practice, the point is that there's an established practice with substantial medical research on practitioners and information on the long-term health effects.

But once again, my point about people blowing hard about things they don't understand applies to your commentary.

• Upvote 1