Inst Weight Loss Diary

Lu Xun

First Fast, Hour 58:

First, kids, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. Fasting over 72 hours without medical supervision is dangerous, and I don't think it's impossible I could suddenly drop dead over the course of this fast. Moreover, I'm taking vitamins and fish oil to try to keep me in shape, so I'm not completely going 0 cal.

As for the main story:

I started attempting to fast to achieve rapid weight loss. I've considered myself a bit too fat, and my goal is currently to become underweight for the first and only time in my life right now.

I could bore you with the details of doing so, but the goal weight is about 135 lbs. The time I'm planning to lose to go from 190 lbs to 135 pounds is about 4-5 months, or 120-150 days. As of right now, my last constant weight was about 183 pounds, indicating that I've cut 7 pounds already over the last 58 hours.

The first fast is scheduled to last about 240 hours, with the goal of reaching 175 or 170 lbs by November 30th. Afterwards, I'm planning to take 10 days break to eat, exercise, and try not to gain more than 5 pounds. Then the second fast of 10 days starts, with the goal to reach 160 or 165 lbs.

Afterwards, there'll be a period of recovery, after which I'll switch to 7 day fasts with 7 days eating, with the aim of reaching 150 or 155 pounds. That should drop me to near zero body fat, after which I'll attempt 3 day fasts and 3 days recovery time with the goal of hitting 135 lbs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

lol just stop eating altogether, that's what helped get me six pack. my upper body is more fat heavy than me lower body and at the end of september i had tried everything to be able to get those pesky last two abs. I was crunching and what not but just couldn't remove that extra little bit of fat. Out of frustration I stopped eating altogether and after a week i had a six pack that was visible throughout the day (not just in the morning when I wasn't bloated).

Though it isn't recommended and definitely not healthy but just eat whenever you feel like, after a day you'll just not feel hungry. I had a banana and an apple the first day cos i couldn't take the hunger. the rest of the week i had water and green tea (sometimes with sugar).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Inst said:

First Fast, Hour 58:

First, kids, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. Fasting over 72 hours without medical supervision is dangerous, and I don't think it's impossible I could suddenly drop dead over the course of this fast. Moreover, I'm taking vitamins and fish oil to try to keep me in shape, so I'm not completely going 0 cal.

As for the main story:

I started attempting to fast to achieve rapid weight loss. I've considered myself a bit too fat, and my goal is currently to become underweight for the first and only time in my life right now.

I could bore you with the details of doing so, but the goal weight is about 135 lbs. The time I'm planning to lose to go from 190 lbs to 135 pounds is about 4-5 months, or 120-150 days. As of right now, my last constant weight was about 183 pounds, indicating that I've cut 7 pounds already over the last 58 hours.

The first fast is scheduled to last about 240 hours, with the goal of reaching 175 or 170 lbs by November 30th. Afterwards, I'm planning to take 10 days break to eat, exercise, and try not to gain more than 5 pounds. Then the second fast of 10 days starts, with the goal to reach 160 or 165 lbs.

Afterwards, there'll be a period of recovery, after which I'll switch to 7 day fasts with 7 days eating, with the aim of reaching 150 or 155 pounds. That should drop me to near zero body fat, after which I'll attempt 3 day fasts and 3 days recovery time with the goal of hitting 135 lbs.

135 pounds is only about 61 kilograms. How tall are you?

The first 5 to 8 pounds will be depletion of glycogen. You will gain this back quickly when you begin eating again and it has no impact on your true "fatness."

I probably can't convince you to consume some calories, but please consider taking a multiviatmin or some hydrators, especially magnesium and potassium. Magnesium deficiency can lead to muscle problems and potassium is key in regulating your heart.

If you want some help trying the keto diet, I can give you some advice on it as I've used it on and off over the last 18 months with success.

edit: you are taking vitamins, i skipped over that

Edited by durmij
  • Upvote 1

Around hour 80, I had to abort this fast as my diet coke (dr. pepper, specifically) diet triggered horrific heartburn, likely creating an esophageal ulcer. Broke fast with some spicy korean Ramen, which isn't exactly the best choice. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to break diet for 7 days to try to get the esophageal ulcer to heal.

Note to self: you're getting old, watch what you do with your gastrointestinal system.

Overall plans: Initial Weight: 188 lbs. (BMI 25.2) Target weight: 135 lbs. (18.3).

Original plans: fast for ten days until November 30th, then eat again for 10 days. On December 11th, begin another 10 day fast. On January 1st, begin a 7 day fast, with the second week being recovery and maintenance, with 7 day recovery. On January 14th, begin another 7 day fast. Starting the 28th, begin periods of 3 day fasting and 3 day eating. The goal should be roughly 150 lbs by the start of February.

Fail point: 84 hours, cause: unacceptable heartburn likely indicating esophageal ulcer. Linked to excessive consumption of diet soda. Will likely do tea instead in the future for caffeine fixes. Last observed weight: 180 lbs.

Modified plans: Take one week recovery time, then between November 30th and December 11th, seek a total of 156 hours fasting (approximately 6.5 days) intermittently.

The last few times I did this I actually did a lot of cycling, and lost about 20 pounds that time.

• Upvote 1

Fasting is a way to lose weight, but it's both unhealthy and not ideal for it ?

I'd personally suggest just running or doing yoga or other light exercises. That way you're losing weight and improving your overall health. (I've only recently got back into working out so im not sure if im the best person to be giving you advice).

Either way, good luck and stay healthy my friend!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheManWhoSoldTheWorld said:

Fasting is a way to lose weight, but it's both unhealthy and not ideal for it ?

I'd personally suggest just running or doing yoga or other light exercises. That way you're losing weight and improving your overall health. (I've only recently got back into working out so im not sure if im the best person to be giving you advice).

Either way, good luck and stay healthy my friend!

The alternative, of course, is liposuction. The goal is rapid, massive weight loss putting me into the underweight region, then sustained work at keeping weight in the 145-150 range.

And part of the sell with fasting is that in animal studies, it's been shown that at the outset of fasting (first 72 hours), there's an increase in expression of proteins associated with neurogenesis; i.e, it improves learning and intelligence. This drops off afterwards, of course, but you can see the evolutionary reason for this, right? If you're hungry and starving, you probably f-ed up somewhere and are better off learning why you f-ed up.

I don't see force fasting as a merely a means to lose weight, but also as a means of spiritual growth.

As is, I can't continue to fast until this esophageal ulcer heals (5-7 days), but when I start again, I'll stick to Ito-en tea. I need the caffeine.

===

To an extent, I also think this is representative of why people in the West are so fat. They're afraid of suffering, as well as suffering for its own sake. Medically-unsupervised fasting in a healthy individual is supposed to be safe to 72 hours, so you don't need to eat all the time and being dependent on blood glucose levels is a stimulus to unpredictable mood and general insanity.

So far, after 2 meals (fast breaker, Indian meal), I've only come back up to about 181.4 lbs, with a peak weight of around 183.4 lbs. I need to keep my recovery weight below 185 lbs, between now and the time I resume fasting.

3 minutes ago, Kevanovia said:

Look up Keto diet. Although it’s not an ideal long term diet -You’ll loose a ton of weight moderately quick, and it’s wayyyyy healthier than not eating/only drinking diet soda.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that and I've done it before. Fasting is just something I like; I mean, if I could safely take a knife and do home lipo, I would (because it's painful), but I can't. Put another way, there's something to be said for having literally starved yourself from the overweight to the underweight category.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:23 PM, Inst said:

First Fast, Hour 58:

As for the main story:

Hey friend I have the opposite problem in which i have problem gaining weight anyways good luck!

remember though that losing weight too fast might result in excess skin. it can be removed via surgery but you might want to do some research on that.

Guest Elijah Mikaelson

Or do what everyone else does, do not over eat and work out, 80% of all weight lost is down to what you eat and the times you eat, the rest is working out.

The best way to lose weight and to maintain it is pretty simple, a balanced meal at 8am, again at 12 noon and finally again at 4pm, do not eat between 4pm and 8am, at 6pm you should do a three or four mile run, or two 45 mins of swimming with about 30 mins between each swim.

within 4 months you will drop fat but you wont reach 135 as you will build muscle mass.

What you are doing is not only unhealthy but sicking to do so.

Can't you go for a jog, play a sport? Should be way more healthier tbh. I dropped about 20kgs once I started playing football (not NFL handegg) on a serious basis, and maintained a moderate diet. Haven't been overweight since! 

15 hours ago, TUCO said:

Hey friend I have the opposite problem in which i have problem gaining weight anyways good luck!

remember though that losing weight too fast might result in excess skin. it can be removed via surgery but you might want to do some research on that.

Coca Cola. Lots of sugar, ruins your teeth, but sugar tends to promote appetite. Will at least give you fat mass, which you can burn off for muscle later.

Latest report: still at 181-182 pounds despite discontinuing fasting due to gastric upset. I was originally planning to fast again today, but I have some leftovers and will start, instead, on Friday after Thanksgiving eating.

The most important part of fasting, for me, is the changed consciousness. Beyond mere irritability, there is a lot more control of what I think of and what I eat, and I've mostly quit the sugar since I've dieted.

The other thing is, if your goal is to get underweight (and that's actually more dangerous than obesity), exercise won't get you that way because depending on your metabolism, you'll build muscle mass even if you do lots of aerobics. The only muscle group I really care about in my body are my abs, and everything else, in my view, is luxury.

Edited by Inst

Why do you want to aim for being underweight, especially knowing how dangerous it is? You don't sound like you're drastically obese. Just take care of yourself, get active, and eat better. No need to resort to any of the extremes you've mentioned.

BrOQBND.jpg

42 minutes ago, Adrienne said:

Why do you want to aim for being underweight, especially knowing how dangerous it is? You don't sound like you're drastically obese. Just take care of yourself, get active, and eat better. No need to resort to any of the extremes you've mentioned.

Nothung! Nothung!
Neidliches Schwert!
Was mußtest du zerspringen?
Zu Spreu nun schuf ich
die scharfe Pracht,
im Tiegel brat' ich die Späne.
Hoho! Hoho!
Hohei! Hohei!
Blase, Balg!
Blase die Glut!
Wild im Walde
wuchs ein Baum,
den hab' ich im Forst gefällt:
die braune Esche
brannt' ich zur Kohl',
auf dem Herd nun liegt sie gehäuft.
Hoho! Hoho!
Hohei! Hoheí! Hoho!
Blase, Balg!
Blase die Glut!
Des Baumes Kohle,
wie brennt sie kühn;
wie glüht sie hell und hehr!
In springenden Funken
sprühet sie auf:
hohei, hohei, hohei!
zerschmilzt mir des Stahles Spreu.
Hoho! Hoho!
Hohei! Hoho!
Blase, Balg!
Blase die Glut!

Excalibur! Excalibur!

Envious sword!
What did you have to shatter?
To chaff now I created
the sharp splendor,
I fry the chips in the crucible.
Hoho! Hoho!
Hohei! Hohei!
Bubble, bellows!
Blow the embers!
Wild in the woods
a tree grew
I liked that in the forest:
the brown ash
I burned to cabbage,
on the stove now she is heaped.
Hoho! Hoho!
Hohei! Hohei! Hoho!
Bubble, bellows!
Blow the embers!
The tree's coal,
how does she burn boldly;
how does it glow bright and dear?
In bouncing sparks
spray it on:
high, high, high!
smashes me of the steel chaff.
Hoho! Hoho!
Hohei! Hoho!
Bubble, bellows!
Blow the embers!

I just keep remembering Siegfried slamming the door on poor Mime repeatedly, but that must have been a different production.

[just because this is yet another Inst gnomic non-explanation, I guess I'll elaborate. Nothung in Der Ring des Nibelungen is a legendary sword once broken by the spear of Odin. Many smiths have attempted to reforge it, but it takes Wagner's hero, Siegfried to actually do the job because he breaks the sword into its component pieces and forges it anew. You can read Shaw for the symbolism of it, etc; i.e, it recalls Nietzsche's transvaluation. Likewise, the point of being underweight is just so that I get to say I was underweight once in my life, and because the musculature that emerges from such a state is not built on-top of old histories.]

Edited by Inst
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Micchan said:

You started years ago when you proved to the international scientific community that a human can survive without brain

#1, the proposition isn't interesting; we've had vegetabilized humans living on life support for years. Headless chickens have been known to live a relatively normal life only off their brain stem.

#2, there's quite a few philosophies and religions that would see that as a good thing; i.e, a purely intuitive existence unburdened by consciousness.

• Haha 2

Fasted for about 16 hours at this point, at about 182 lbs. Goal is, by December 21st, drop down to 160 pounds or environs weight.  Then by the end of January, weigh only 145-150 lbs.

Current planned interval is 6.5 days, so I'll be able to eat again on Thursday.

• Upvote 1

Finally dropped below 180 pounds. I cheated a little bit, though, and ate an umeboshi recently.

I'm not sure if I can lose enough weight by Thursday to hit 170 lbs, unfortunately, so perhaps only 175 lbs is realistic. If the weight loss rate is too slow, I'll probably have to pick up cycling early.

The plan is currently to quit smoking at the 10 day fast point, though, and that's prioritized over weight loss.

Another thing I can do is roughly switch to 72 hour intermittent fasting (eat once every 3 days), but surviving 10 days without food is a high priority.

Fasting diets restrict any and all food consumption for a period of time. They do allow your body to burn fat, explains Fort Valley State University, but they also burn lean muscle mass and may harm your body’s muscular organs, such as your heart. Because your body relies on daily intake of certain nutrients, fasting may lead to nutritional deficiencies. Finally, starving your body instructs it to slow your metabolism in order to conserve energy, ultimately leading to even slower weight loss.

I doubt this thing you're doing is actually happening though. 

IpHGyGc.png

16 minutes ago, Clarke said:

I doubt this thing you're doing is actually happening though. 

Yeah, I cheated yesterday and ate an Umeboshi. IIRC should be around 0 calories, could be around 7 or so. Today, I'm eating 15 calories worth of shirataki because I want to clean my bowels.