Strong Political Slurs

Wendell

I have a problem with people calling each other Nazis, Fascists, etc. It is not decent because these terms offend and have offended many people. There were entire world wars involving these terms where millions have died. I don't think you should allow some words but not others. With all due respect please be consistent with creating rules and issuing penalties.

Several nations also have Soviet imagery, Confederate Flags, and questionable content on their flags and nation pages. Only banning Nazi imagery isn't consistent because these other historical factions are just as bad if not worst.

Please ban strong political language and Slurs, not just Nazism.

Thank You

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

Guest John Q Listener

I'd be interested to know what political "slurs" you feel are unwarranted. 

e: Like specific examples where a label was applied and you felt it was offensive.

Edited by John Q Listener

I would like to put forth a different opinion, since this is an open forum for suggestions.

I think we should ban all global symbols of hate. This is something that over time develops in our communities and is accepted by most of the population. Nazi imagery, fascism is banned in the majority of the world. If you go into establishments in most of the world dressed in these symbols of hate, you will get kicked out, refused service, and probably get your ass beat.

Communist imagery is not universally accepted as a hate symbol. What Deulos needs to work on is winning hearts and minds to hating communism and making it into a symbol of hate throughout the world.

Deulos and others that are confused on why some political ideologies are banned and some are not. I believe we need to have some education for them so that they can research why most people shun them from our society. They really don't see why there's zero tolerance for specific ideologies, and they need to educate themselves on why most of the world will never side with them on why it should be allowed.

I think it's important that global symbols of hate be banned from the game to allow that userbase that never gave this game a chance when culturally accepted symbols of hate were allowed into the game.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

This is a no discussion forum and not an appropriate topic for the moderation subforum. Let's just leave this mess be until Alex or a mod comes by to lock it and hand out warns.

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Deulos said:

I have a problem with people calling each other Nazis, Fascists, etc. It is not decent because these terms offend and have offended many people. There were entire world wars involving these terms where millions have died. I don't think you should allow some words but not others. With all due respect please be consistent with creating rules and issuing penalties.

Several nations also have Soviet imagery, Confederate Flags, and questionable content on their flags and nation pages. Only banning Nazi imagery isn't consistent because these other historical factions are just as bad if not worst.

Please ban strong political language and Slurs, not just Nazism.

Thank You

This is a political simulation game, and Fascism, for example, is a political ideology (authoritarian state and the like.)

My general take is to allow different ideas (government types, ideologies, etc.) because that allows more open and free roleplay and a better gameplay experience (for a political simulation game.)

There are specific exceptions. These exceptions are outlined in the rules and generally determined by social norms and a general stance against hate groups and hateful/dangerous ideologies. For example, we have specific rules against Nazism and Terrorism, as those are particularly dangerous ideologies and I have no interest in my website being a breeding ground/welcoming community for people with supremacist beliefs or that are wishing harm/death upon others.

We must and do draw a distinction between a valid political ideology and harmful/dangerous content. I.E. While fascism is allowed, Nazism is banned. While communism is allowed, role-playing specific implementations of communism (such as Pol Pot, which happened a few years ago) is banned.

We examine each situation individually, and the norms by which we enforce the rules do evolve and change over time as society changes. What may have been okay 5 years ago when the game was created may not be acceptable anymore. I understand that sometimes it may not be clear what is and isn't against the rules, and you're always welcome to ask myself or other moderators, or inquire publicly here (like you are doing now.)

5 hours ago, Khris Kruel said:

I would like to put forth a different opinion, since this is an open forum for suggestions.

I think we should ban all global symbols of hate. This is something that over time develops in our communities and is accepted by most of the population.

This is my general take and the general principle behind moderation policies.

2 hours ago, durmij said:

This is a no discussion forum and not an appropriate topic for the moderation subforum. Let's just leave this mess be until Alex or a mod comes by to lock it and hand out warns.

This is not a no-discussion forum. But, I would consider it a serious discussion forum - we will be more particular about moderating against trolling and the like in the Moderation Support subforum.

• Like 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

49 minutes ago, Alex said:

This is not a no-discussion forum. But, I would consider it a serious discussion forum - we will be more particular about moderating against trolling and the like in the Moderation Support subforum.

Sorry, thought this was a report misfiling

On 11/19/2019 at 5:34 PM, durmij said:

This is a discussion forum. I'm not stupid especially when I already got warned twice for that. You think I would give up my right to have meaningful discussions.

Edited by Deulos

• 7 months later...
On 11/19/2019 at 7:45 AM, Leonard J Crabs said:

I think we should ban all global symbols of hate. This is something that over time develops in our communities and is accepted by most of the population. Nazi imagery, fascism is banned in the majority of the world. If you go into establishments in most of the world dressed in these symbols of hate, you will get kicked out, refused service, and probably get your ass beat.

Communist imagery is not universally accepted as a hate symbol. What Deulos needs to work on is winning hearts and minds to hating communism and making it into a symbol of hate throughout the world.

Deulos and others that are confused on why some political ideologies are banned and some are not. I believe we need to have some education for them so that they can research why most people shun them from our society. They really don't see why there's zero tolerance for specific ideologies, and they need to educate themselves on why most of the world will never side with them on why it should be allowed.

I think it's important that global symbols of hate be banned from the game to allow that userbase that never gave this game a chance when culturally accepted symbols of hate were allowed into the game.

Ya know in many countries, namely Eastern Europe, they consider communism much worse than Nazism.
And, ya know, many many more people have died under communist regimes rather than fascist ones.
And, ya know, fascism only really lasted about 20-30 years. Communism stayed in place for the whole 20th century.

I agree with Alex's statement though, and I (as a Conservative Jew myself, one who has direct family members killed by, and has recently lost a loved one who was a survivor of, the holocaust) do not like Nazi symbols. But fascist ones and even communist ones I recognize as part of the game. It is part of the roleplay aspect of the game, and most of us accept that. But your view is very very incorrect and very very close minded. Dare I say....hateful.

I am well aware your army of easily offended Goons members are going to downvote this to all hell, but I said what I needed to say. And I am sure every reasonable PnW player will agree with me.

Edited by Corpsman
  • Upvote 1

signature_1609462526.png.014e1286830a99c3d7652fe75198c389.png
To whom it may concern, I do not represent The Immortals unless explicitly stated (ergo, never.)
<--- I hardly use the forums anymore, add me on discord.

• Alex locked this topic