Remove the ability to upvote or downvote game reports

durmij

I was just thinking this the other day and 100% approve. Like James said, it's best to be objective in a moderation context and there's obvious trends (from both "sides of the isle") of people down-voting actual rule violations simply because the report doesn't align with their IC and/or OOC ideology.

Edited by Kurdanak
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
xzhPlEh.png?1

3 hours ago, durmij said:

A large number of reports in the moderation subforum have been mass spammed with reputation, both up and down. This is symptomatic of people viewing reports as tied to game politics when they should be separate. If the subforum could have reputation disabled, it would go a long way to restoring some sanity in the forums and make sure people aren't punished for reports. 

I agree with this suggestion. While reviewing my recent reports against GOONS appears to have actually benefit my 'forum reputation', it is completely inappropriate. Other player opinions are irrelevant to Alex in determining if a rule violation occurred and simply affixes a potential forum rep cost for reporting problem behaviour in highly populated alliances/spheres that are willing to use mob tactics to harass and intimidate other players; dragonshardz went as far as dropping a veiled threat at DDOSing me in one of my game reports involving another GOONS member. So yes, I think this is a good suggestion towards helping mitigate the use of intimidation techniques already being employed in the game reports section.

Edited by Zephyr

I simply must disagree, for the health of our good friend Deulos. If he couldn't vent his pent-up rage by downvoting every single report thread made by a GOONS member, he might burst a vein or something similarly painful!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Administrators

I agree with the suggestion, but to my knowledge it's not possible to selectively disable/enable the Reputation (reaction) feature by subforum. I just looked through the settings and didn't see anything.

If it's hidden in the admin panel obscurely somewhere, and someone knows how to disable it by subforum, shoot me a DM. Otherwise, it'll have to be enabled or disabled for the whole forum.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

17 hours ago, Alex said:

I agree with the suggestion, but to my knowledge it's not possible to selectively disable/enable the Reputation (reaction) feature by subforum. I just looked through the settings and didn't see anything.

If it's hidden in the admin panel obscurely somewhere, and someone knows how to disable it by subforum, shoot me a DM. Otherwise, it'll have to be enabled or disabled for the whole forum.

I was afraid of this, but thank you for considering it.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:33 PM, Epi said:

Sometimes people who were there during the Incident disagree with the worthiness of the report. Such as in my case, where just because I as a gae man, didn't ban someone for their use of the world towards me was considered homophobic. That's not how slurs work my friends.

Already people can't voice their disagreement in the threads. If we lock all forms of expression regarding aggressive reporting it's entirely possible they'll their anger out on them in-game or via discord. Better it be here and under our watch.

That's the thing. Your disagreement is irrelevant unless you have previously unmentioned material facts relating to the situation. And if you do, you would not be breaking the subforum rules to make those facts known. "Expression" is not the purpose of the subforum and if you or others want to take your anger out elsewhere, that is entirely immaterial to the function of the subforum.

Edit: Should clarify, your statement makes even less sense because you would be allowed to respond via the rules as the accused. You don't need reputation for that.

Edited by durmij

I think up/down vote is mostly used for political reasons anyways & might as well be removed in general. While some might use it based on the quality of the posts, think the vast majority of up/down votes are for political reasons. Although having a negative rep on the forum mostly makes things difficult for newer players who aren't well known, so not a big deal for me personally if its kept or not.

Although still think its bad for the game & mostly misused. People who think its mostly used properly might treat newer players who get mass down voted negatively & they might have trouble getting into alliances, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1