Remove recaptcha from declaring wars

San Fortunado

For me, a firefox user with privacy badger installed recaptcha quite literally makes the game unplayable. I have to spend over 2 minutes doing unpaid image classification for google before the game will allow me to actually play. I can understand it for baseball and trading (which I both no longer do) but declaring war is such an integral part of the game that it renders it unplayable.

• Haha 1

I don't think it's just privacy badger. I run noscript with a default allow profile and only known malicious advertising and news paywall domains blocked and it consistently takes anywhere from 3 to 6 rounds on some of these captchas. I think it would be prudent to upgrade some if not all of these checks to reCaptcha v3 which can do most of its user verification with no user interaction.

https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/versions

Proud supporter of:
BirdWeed.gif

1 hour ago, Aesculus said:

Recaptcha is known to exhibit anticompetitive monopolistic behavior and target non-chrome browsers with additional difficulty, it has been proven.

Good.

Rather Google dominates the world than some of these other choices...

2 hours ago, Bartholomew Roberts said:

Good.

Rather Google dominates the world than some of these other choices...

mozilla, the organisation that develops firefox, is a non-profit that collects user metadata on an opt-in basis

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MaliciousOnion said:

mozilla, the organisation that develops firefox, is a non-profit that collects user metadata on an opt-in basis

It said it was targeting non-chrome so I assumed GOOG

2 hours ago, Deulos said:

Alex isn't going to remove recaptcha for declaring wars. It was intentionally put there to keep people like you from trying to use a bot to auto declare wars or automatically fight wars using algorithms.

We're discussing upgrading to the newest version of captcha. It's supposed to be much better at detecting bots and much easier on the end user (players) because it's not an image verification thing.

Edited by Bartholomew Roberts

• Administrators

The captcha on the war declaration page is necessary to prevent people from using scripts to auto-declare wars, etc. We're not going to remove it.

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link