Embargo reasons are not being saved

ephphatha

What were you doing (or trying to do): Place an embargo on a nation with a reason

What happened (describe thoroughly please): The embargo was created successfully but the reason was cleared

Link to page: https://politicsandwar.com/index.php?id=68&name=Typhon&type=n

Any other relevant information: I attempted to use the reason of "bb", I've previously been able to use this reason for other embargoes (see East Alaska in the screenshot) so I didn't think there'd be a character limit.

Screenshot:

2019-11-13T230538_Politics_&_War_-_Rule_

I don't know if this explains the issue you are having, but it may be relevant that I have blocked communications in-game from all GOONS members.

You can choose to block communications with other players for any reason. They will not be informed that you are no longer seeing their communications. This does not prevent other players from declaring war, or otherwise interacting with your nation. It does prevent new messages and embargo/war reason messages.

Perhaps the game doesn't just prevent embargo reasons showing on my side from blocked players, but may actually eliminate embargo reasons entirely from the embargo record -?

14 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I don't know if this explains the issue you are having, but it may be relevant that I have blocked communications in-game from all GOONS members.

Perhaps the game doesn't just prevent embargo reasons showing on my side from blocked players, but may actually eliminate embargo reasons entirely from the embargo record -?

We can't see who you have blocked, friend. Take a screenshot.

Maybe next time you could swing by our Discord and have a quick chat with our gov? That would have cleared this up pretty quick.

i2FSAiF.gif

1 minute ago, dragonshardz said:

We can't see who you have blocked, friend. Take a screenshot.

Maybe next time you could swing by our Discord and have a quick chat with our gov? That would have cleared this up pretty quick.

I believe all GOONS members are blocked, perhaps except for any recent additions to your ranks in the past few days.

I don't think there's anything I want to talk to you about, hence blocking communications from your membership.

I just tested that theory...

TRRiyOO.png

I do know they gave a valid reason, and I had blocked them before they did the embargo.

After unblocking them everything was fine.
bFuN57f.png

So that might explain some of it, but not why those three from my above screenshot were blank. If they had me blocked, why is the message on my end blank?

I don't have Zephyr blocked and, well, see for yourself.

image.png.753a68ccee2edba94add72f01e463d92.png

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I believe all GOONS members are blocked, perhaps except for any recent additions to your ranks in the past few days.

I don't think there's anything I want to talk to you about, hence blocking communications from your membership.

I'm not a part of GOONS leadership. Also, suspecting someone in GOONS of running a harassment campaign would be a perfectly valid reason to chat with GOONS leadership, specifically.

They're very reasonable people.

i2FSAiF.gif

2 minutes ago, Zetsubou said:

I just tested that theory...

TRRiyOO.png

I do know they gave a valid reason, and I had blocked them before they did the embargo.

After unblocking them everything was fine.
bFuN57f.png

So that might explain some of it, but not why those three from my above screenshot were blank. If they had me blocked, why is the message on my end blank?

If a blocked player means an embargo notification with the embargo reason being blank followed by a full stop, then I would guess when a user simply does not provide an embargo reason it would appear the same way. Did those players simply not provide an embargo reason?

1 minute ago, dragonshardz said:

I don't have Zephyr blocked and, well, see for yourself.

image.png.753a68ccee2edba94add72f01e463d92.png

Then this confirms the notification simply appears that way because an embargo reason was not provided (I did not provide one).

In conclusion it would seem that the game handles embargo reasons in a way that is not expected and has as a result caused confusion as to whether embargoes are functioning correctly. I think Alex has simply made the unusual decision of eliminating embargo reasons entirely from the embargo record if the targeted nation has blocked communications from the embargo-er at the time of its installation. This seems like an unusual game design choice, but perhaps for technical reasons it is too difficult to simply hide embargo reasons from blocked players -?

After a quick test it does seem the Embargo page does let you send an empty reason, which generates the message shown.

One final round of testing confirms that if the embargoed nation has a block, then any reason listed by the embargoer is blanked on their end.

image.png.10aa42f82c3a2cf5da7d4a36d810eab2.png

As I expect this is a bug, to avoid my original post being too "yeah, me too thanks", I have created a video to demonstrate this issue.

I have used @Zephyr as the example here as they are the user that I had encountered this bug with originally, so it may be tied to their account specifically. Not sure, will need to embargo another user to test. Please hold while I embargo Alex's account.

EDIT:
I have attempted to embargo @Alex's nation and the embargo reason is functional as seen below.

I believe that there is something wrong specifically with our comrade @Zephyr's database entries or something. I doubt this is a blocking related situation as I've had no interaction with Zephyr in game that I can recall, so I can see no reason that he would block me. I suspect there may be an issue that needs sorted out.

EDIT 2: upon re-reading the thread, I have seen Zephyr's post where he states he has blocked all GOONS members. This would explain matters, but I don't think that rules out a bug just yet. After all, why can't I see my own embargo reasons?

Edited by Blutarch Mann
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Blutarch Mann said:

EDIT 2: upon re-reading the thread, I have seen Zephyr's post where he states he has blocked all GOONS members. This would explain matters, but I don't think that rules out a bug just yet. After all, why can't I see my own embargo reasons?

I believe what's happening is when a player has blocked another player that is installing an embargo against them, the embargo reason field simply gets ignored entirely upon submission and the embargo record has a blank entry for embargo reason. Therefore the embargo appears to have no embargo reason to anyone that sees the embargo record, no matter who they are or how they are looking at the embargo record.

Edited by Zephyr

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I believe what's happening is when a player has blocked another player that is installing an embargo against them, the embargo reason field simply gets ignored entirely upon submission and the embargo record has a blank entry for embargo reason. Therefore the embargo appears to have no embargo reason to anyone that sees the embargo record, no matter who they are or how they are looking at the embargo record.

I agree with you, that makes a lot of sense. I hope Alex can fix this so that the reason is still listed, but is just simply hidden from view for nations you have blocked.

Does the embargo reason become visible if you un-block me? Because if not, that would definitely 100% confirm the bug to be operating as you described.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Blutarch Mann said:

Does the embargo reason become visible if you un-block me? Because if not, that would definitely 100% confirm the bug to be operating as you described.

No it doesn't, in neither the notifications feed, my embargoes page or the world embargoes page.

Just now, Zephyr said:

No it doesn't, in neither the notifications feed, my embargoes page or the world embargoes page.

Definitely getting zero'd out then. Hope Alex can fix this soon, information like this getting lost concerns me about if other vital stuff can get lost, such as banking transaction notes or other important variables.

• Downvote 1

I've seen it on my page as well. northstar redacted the embargo and readded it with nothing on it and I don't have ANYONE blocked (love everyone). I really wish I could tell them why. It was working last week if that helps.

• Administrators

I don't think there's any bug, just poor design. I can refactor it to show the embargo reason for the embargoer and just hide it from the embargoee if they have the embargoer blocked, but that's a pretty low priority for me in the grand scheme of things since everything is technically working as-is.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

On 11/15/2019 at 4:37 AM, Alex said:

I don't think there's any bug, just poor design. I can refactor it to show the embargo reason for the embargoer and just hide it from the embargoee if they have the embargoer blocked, but that's a pretty low priority for me in the grand scheme of things since everything is technically working as-is.

Given warnings are now being handed out to players for re-applying embargoes, perhaps this should be considered higher priority? As @dragonshardz has mentioned it is useful to be able to note why you embargoed someone and it would also remove an excuse from people who actually intend to spam notifications.