The Upvote Downvote Market

Lu Xun

As you well know, I think the worst of the forum's Karma system. I think it's overly politicized, and it's a sad replacement for actual discourse. Given the recent KERCHTOG outrage at my statements, I've considered instead the possibility of buying my way to like 8000 upvotes as a sort of FU, but I'd think that's sort of a drastic step.

Instead, I am offering to sell my upvotes and downvotes. The beginning price is 1 billion for 10000 upvotes / downvotes, and of course I will exercise personal discretion on who is allowed to receive upvotes / downvotes. I believe this will help debase the quality of the upvote / downvote system as an indicator of poster quality, and help move Orbis forward to better forums and better communications.

I am well aware that this post and my other posts will be chain-downvoted as a result of this, but seriously, it's Inst. Why should he care? 

In general, I would also like to point out that this is now an exchange for vote buying on these forums. If you'd like to buy / sell upvotes / downvotes, including those on me, all are welcome!

Edited by Inst
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Got someone you hate? Want her/him to be downvoted into oblivion? Not going to be able to get the KERCHTOG hate machine to do your bidding? Call me.

The basic rate, FYI, is 1 upvote / downvote for $100,000. This is a very accessible price.

• Upvote 2

I'd argue that while a lot of posts get mass-upvoted for being stupid highschool comebacks, the system also helps flag quality posts when skimming through massive 30+ page threads.

It has its uses but really not something serious people pay attention to. I agree it should be removed though. Or at the least, remove downvoting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Bartholomew Roberts said:

I'd argue that while a lot of posts get mass-upvoted for being stupid highschool comebacks, the system also helps flag quality posts when skimming through massive 30+ page threads.

It has its uses but really not something serious people pay attention to. I agree it should be removed though. Or at the least, remove downvoting.

Are you going to buy an upvote / downvote bomb or what? Or would you like a free sample?

• Haha 1