Cost change to tanks.

Prefontaine

Pick an option  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which tank change would you rather see

Guest Curufinwe
On 11/2/2019 at 11:47 PM, Pop said:

I'd rather see the costs of other units raised than see the cost of tanks lowered. But either way some equalization needs to happen.

Yeah cheaper tanks do make some sense, all things considered.  The first option is more problematic than the second, since doubling the military effectiveness of each tank would impact mil score numbers (and therefore has serious implications for up- and downdeccing).  Just halving the cost per tank is probably the least disruptive way to balance them.

I don't necessarily think that tanks costing a lot more than other units is a problem per say, because they are paired with another unit, soldiers, that are cheap.  It makes their use more situational rather than something people just max out by default like they generally do with soldiers and planes.  That's a good thing because it makes combat more dynamic.

GnWq7CW.png

14 minutes ago, Azaghul said:

I don't necessarily think that tanks costing a lot more than other units is a problem per say, because they are paired with another unit, soldiers, that are cheap.  It makes their use more situational rather than something people just max out by default like they generally do with soldiers and planes.  That's a good thing because it makes combat more dynamic.

They still have a largely disproportionate cost. Ships currently are over 3 times less expensive, planes are currently over 4.5 times less expensive on the resource load. (I know alum and steel aren't the same prices, but in the total unit cost). This is just bringing it down a fair bit, Tanks will still cost the most in total resource count even when cut by 50%. 

• Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

1 hour ago, Viselli said:

If this goes through then I don't think your plane cost suggestion should, and vice versa. I think it is best to only change one thing at a time to see if it has an affect. 

I disagree. 

scSqPGJ.gif

On 11/3/2019 at 3:37 AM, Prefontaine said:

Problem: Tanks are largely imbalanced resource cost wise. Ships are a little under-costed. To max a cities tanks, it costs 1250 steel, to max ships, it's 375

Tank Solution 1: Cut the amount of tanks a city can produce by 50% while doubling the units output and cutting its losses in half as well. Effectively make it so max tanks for a city is 625, but the math for the units still function as they currently do. 

Tank Solution 2: Reduce the steel cost of tanks from 1 per tank to 0.5 per tank.  

Note: Both effectively make tanks cost the same, 625 steel to max per city, option 1 reduces the number of tank totals with preserving the way they currently work. This only impacts loss counts, you'll lose less tanks in a war, but the cost is same, so stats will grow slower.

This change would make it cost 625 + 375 steel to max a cities Ships and Tanks, thus a nice round 1k steel per city for max units.  

But what I see is if someone wants to spend 3000 steel on tanks alone then let them. It's a good mistake for noobs,and good for them to learn from their mistakes.

• Downvote 1

On 11/4/2019 at 12:25 AM, Prefontaine said:

They still have a largely disproportionate cost. Ships currently are over 3 times less expensive, planes are currently over 4.5 times less expensive on the resource load. (I know alum and steel aren't the same prices, but in the total unit cost). This is just bringing it down a fair bit, Tanks will still cost the most in total resource count even when cut by 50%. 

It's worth discussing whether or not the cost being "disproportionate" is actually a good or a bad thing.  I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for the reason I originally posted.

I'm not a hard no against this, just offering some counter arguments to consider.

GnWq7CW.png