Food and Population

ReadingChicken

I recently found out that food (or rather the lack of it) does not affect population or population growth. This is a problem, given that players can have no food but still have their population increase. Why does that matter? Well, for one, maximum military values are affected by population. Soldiers can be up to 15% of your population (for every hundred people you have, you can have fifteen soldiers). Different values go for different units.

So, how would no food decrease population? Well, I think it should go something like ‘every turn you don’t have food, 1% or 5% (or any other percentage) of your population disappears. This would mean that population would not be completely based on infra and time, so it would be important to fix that. Of course, realistically, if the populace was starving, the infrastructure might not be cared for and it could be destroyed, so we wouldn’t have to fix that.

If you have any better ideas then say them, please.

• Upvote 2

On 10/20/2019 at 10:52 AM, Hassan said:

Did you seriously just do that? When I said this, I never meant for you to make a forum post about it and make me do extra clicks buying food for no reason. @ReadingChicken

Not for no reason, no. Now there would be a reason.

This suggestion is bad b, namely because it seems to be a half baked hail marry someone came up with after just learning how population works without significant thought to what their changes would entail, or how they would interact with the existing mechanic.

You could argue to put in this place and it would halt that age growth and reverse it, but is that a permanent reversal? How much can be reversed, can the bonus go negative? If it's temporary how long does it take to recover? How should the rate of increase from age be changed to accompany what you've proposed? If infrastructure is destroyed, how much, at what intervals, is there a limit where it stop, does the rate decrease as amount of infra does? If infra isn't maintained is land lost due to extreme pollution or destruction? What are the rates and intervals for this? If you run out of food for more than 2-3 turns (2-3 in game days) does the entire nation, even the government, start losing functionality? Do all improvements becomes unusable, taxes and resources no longer collected? Military units unbuyable, existing units unusuable? Do units, and spies, desert their posts? 

How many of this would you suggest, what levels or limits or rates would these occur at? If it's unreasonable that population doesn't decline from lack of food, it's surely unreasonable the questions i asked above aren't also true, yet you address none of these possibilities even if they directly relate to something you did suggest. 

It took me 2 minutes to come up with that list including the removal of vagueness from parts of your own suggestion. Put some thought into these, because yours is vague and seems half baked and unassure of itself. Running out of food could easily be a minor inconvenience as it is now or it could be as bad as bill-lock and anarchy in CN. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Akuryo said:

This suggestion is bad b, namely because it seems to be a half baked hail marry someone came up with after just learning how population works without significant thought to what their changes would entail, or how they would interact with the existing mechanic.

You could argue to put in this place and it would halt that age growth and reverse it, but is that a permanent reversal? How much can be reversed, can the bonus go negative? If it's temporary how long does it take to recover? How should the rate of increase from age be changed to accompany what you've proposed? If infrastructure is destroyed, how much, at what intervals, is there a limit where it stop, does the rate decrease as amount of infra does? If infra isn't maintained is land lost due to extreme pollution or destruction? What are the rates and intervals for this? If you run out of food for more than 2-3 turns (2-3 in game days) does the entire nation, even the government, start losing functionality? Do all improvements becomes unusable, taxes and resources no longer collected? Military units unbuyable, existing units unusuable? Do units, and spies, desert their posts? 

How many of this would you suggest, what levels or limits or rates would these occur at? If it's unreasonable that population doesn't decline from lack of food, it's surely unreasonable the questions i asked above aren't also true, yet you address none of these possibilities even if they directly relate to something you did suggest. 

It took me 2 minutes to come up with that list including the removal of vagueness from parts of your own suggestion. Put some thought into these, because yours is vague and seems half baked and unassure of itself. Running out of food could easily be a minor inconvenience as it is now or it could be as bad as bill-lock and anarchy in CN. 

This.  Making this work with the current formula would be difficult.

GnWq7CW.png