[POLL] Do You Want Dial Up War to End?

Artifex

[POLL] Do You Want Dial Up War to End?  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Dial Up War to end?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/21/19 at 09:24 AM

I mean... very few people want this insane length of wars. It's not a desire for war that's extending the war, it's the fact that one side is asking for a ridiculous demand in the peace negotiation and the other side does not want it. Right now, peace is simply impossible without concessions from one side.

That said, I appreciate the directness of this poll.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Gatorcock said:

God, can you guys frick off with these OF posts? 

Let’s talk about Alex literally making us wait 4 minutes after each update, because he’s an incredibly bad dev.

It's funny because it got optimized for him, and it was really fast with a short wait, but now it's as slow as ever. What happened?

5 minutes ago, Macharius said:

it's the fact that one side is asking for a ridiculous demand in the peace negotiation and the other side does not want it. Right now, peace is simply impossible without concessions from one side.

I'm not trying to involve any of that in the poll, and what's being asked, at least in my view, is do you, the voter, want the war to be over with already? Doesn't matter who surrenders to who with what terms so much. Just would you prefer the war to stop tommorow? 

Love you

Of course I want this war to end. P&W isn't exactly an exciting war game, and I don't want to run a micro nation forever. If the war doesn't end, then a rebuild isn't going to happen.

Maybe not end the war tomorrow, but I'd be cool with the war being over around the end of October. I still have some personal objectives I want to finish.

Given I'm not in government, and my Alliance is ruled by a King, my expressed opinions are only those of this lowly Serf-Noob, and no one else.

Someday I might get lucky enough to get a promotion to Clown or Varlet! 

• Upvote 4

P&W SK Flag Small.jpg

1 hour ago, Gudea said:

Of course I want this war to end. P&W isn't exactly an exciting war game, and I don't want to run a micro nation forever. If the war doesn't end, then a rebuild isn't going to happen.

Maybe not end the war tomorrow, but I'd be cool with the war being over around the end of October. I still have some personal objectives I want to finish.

Given I'm not in government, and my Alliance is ruled by a King, my expressed opinions are only those of this lowly Serf-Noob, and no one else.

Someday I might get lucky enough to get a promotion to Clown or Varlet! 

2 weeks? That's pretty optimistic chief. I think 2 months is more likely.

While I can't help but think a lot of people have voted no in bad faith, such as to maintain a good negotiating position or to suit some other agenda outside being honest, I'm still surprised, "No," has such a high percentage, as I thought truly most would want the war to be ended currently. I suppose I've misjudged, but then again, many of those who voted, "No," do hold some sort of authority in an actively engaged alliance, so maybe I'm correct in my first hunch? Regardless, many reportedly don't want the war to end.

Well, it's not what I was expecting, but so far people seem to want this war to continue.

To those of you who voted, "No," how much longer do you want this war to go on for?

Perhaps I should have specified, "Do you want the war to end right now?" in the question. That was indeed the intent of my question.
Perhaps this will be PnW's first eternal war?
Can such a thing be sustained?
Is that what the people want?

Love you

4 hours ago, Pop said:

2 weeks? That's pretty optimistic chief. I think 2 months is more likely.

That's fine. For myself, it's just a long, drawn out, and boring affair that goes on and on for no good reason anymore. When I get bored of it all, I'm out.

I've been war gaming for over 40 years, on boards, tables, and screens....and this is no war game; just a geo-sim with a way to handle wars. The war system is very dull, and, over time, very boring. I'm not complaining about the war system, since I don't expect much from a geopolitical browser game. Overall, I'd say P&W does everything well enough, considering. It's more about how the players themselves handle things. Maybe the meta's the problem. 

I leave all the heavy-duty political  wheelin' and dealin' to the Fearless Leaders on all sides....after all, I'm just an old, lowly Private in this war.

Something fitting for the War, since I've been dustin' off the vinyl lately, so to speak:

P&W SK Flag Small.jpg

1 hour ago, Malleator said:

To those of you who voted, "No," how much longer do you want this war to go on for?

Perhaps I should have specified, "Do you want the war to end right now?" in the question. That was indeed the intent of my question.
Perhaps this will be PnW's first eternal war?
Can such a thing be sustained?
Is that what the people want?

Ok, @Malleator, I voted no, so I'll answer truthfully and completely as possible.

1. How much longer do I want the war to go on for? - Not much longer, maybe no longer than the end of October or mid-November. A lot of folks have gone inactive or quit. It's hard to miss.

2. Will this be P&W's first eternal war? - Hopefully not. I doubt the P&W economy was designed with permawar in mind. Prices are already crazy.

3. Can eternal war be sustained? - See above answers.

4. Is that what the players want? - Probably not, and it would be illogical to assume so. If anyone likes war so much, there was always Arrg!, Mythic, or maybe some other raider alliance to join. 'Normal' nations/alliances don't benefit from wars, since their nations make money from infra, raw materials, manufacturing, loans and taxes. Logically, raiders should love wars (plenty of targets/ cheap rebuild!), but no one else should be in love with the idea. 'Regular' nations/alliances only benefit (materials prices!) from wars they profit from, ie. stay out of. Or they are trying to defend themselves, or accomplish some geopolitical objective.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

• Upvote 2

P&W SK Flag Small.jpg

I'm pretty sure most people in their right mind don't want a war where nothing is being accomplished to go on for six+ months.  However, no one in their right mind presents a blank piece of paper expecting you to sign it without the signee knowing the exact terms of the paper first.  So...yeah, there you go.  War's going on because Coalition A was presented with a blank piece of paper and Coalition B wants them to sign it before telling them what's on that paper.  That's the impasse that is pushing Dial Up War into the record books.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Syrachime said:

I'm pretty sure most people in their right mind don't want a war where nothing is being accomplished to go on for six+ months.  However, no one in their right mind presents a blank piece of paper expecting you to sign it without the signee knowing the exact terms of the paper first.  So...yeah, there you go.  War's going on because Coalition A was presented with a blank piece of paper and Coalition B wants them to sign it before telling them what's on that paper.  That's the impasse that is pushing Dial Up War into the record books.

Lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Epi said:

KT and TKR don't have a history of dragging out wars and setting records. Except 69 day war (TKR vs. KT-TGH, it set a record), then Knightfall (TKR refusing to surrender for 3 months).

Takes two to tango, friend. Also, in Knightfall, the issue wasn't surrender. Almost like we have a reason not to this time. Carry on.

Edited by Nizam Adrienne
  • Haha 1

BrOQBND.jpg