Game Names Shouldn't Need To Match Forum Names

Lu Xun

With my altercation with Kevanovia, I recently spent credits to align my ruler name with my forum name to reduce warn risk. This is not preferred, and I will happily change the game name back to what it was previously.

I will note that I have been getting away with Inst / Nila Taylor disalign for months now, and that implies this policy is only very rarely enforced (when someone complains about it). And the fact that I've not had the policy enforced on me recently is suggesting that no one is actually complaining about it.

• Administrators

I do regularly change forum display names to match in-game names when, for example, a new player joins the forum and posts in the Introductions subforum.

I don't see any reason to get rid of the rule. It makes life easier for everyone.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I'll go on to argue this later. I am more focused on getting rid of downvoting, although I think Dryad has a point with limiting downvotes to specific forums to provide quick polling on support for a suggestion.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Inst said:

With my altercation with Kevanovia, I recently spent credits to align my ruler name with my forum name to reduce warn risk. This is not preferred, and I will happily change the game name back to what it was previously.

I will note that I have been getting away with Inst / Nila Taylor disalign for months now, and that implies this policy is only very rarely enforced (when someone complains about it). And the fact that I've not had the policy enforced on me recently is suggesting that no one is actually complaining about it.

I bolded a key part. The report button is a guaranteed way to have the moderation team review an issue.

I, personally, do not give out warnings for trivialities but I do DM people asking them to fix their profile. Nation ID, ruler name matching etc. If there ever is a case when someone refuses to comply, I guess I'd have to discuss it with the other mods but that has never happened.

-------------

On the idea of the rule in general, this is a forum for people playing Politics and War to come communicate with each other and often the staff. I'd actually argue for the forum profiles to be directly linked to your nation and have the usernames not be changeable but rather auto-update to your rulername or disallow you from posting if your nationID is invalid.

The reasoning behind this is that accountability has to be present for both politics and moderation. example: Someone impersonates an alliance leader and posts a DoW. 

On 10/8/2019 at 5:35 PM, Inst said:

Anyone that would *actually* complain about a forum & ruler name not matching needs to get out of their parents basement more often. 

STFU