Orbis vs Real World Military Production: A Bad Analysis

Artifex

12 hours ago, ForgotPants said:

Something is off about your tank to people calculations, numbers for USA and Russia are off. Also, USA has a population of 329,256,465 according to globalfirepower.

I don't know what is off about them, they're correct based off GFP's numbers, and I put down the wrong population for USA, but fortunately I still used the correct number for the ratio calculation.

9 hours ago, Meh Imperfect said:

@Malleator I saw a lot of efforts so I upvoted. Nice work dude!

Well, I appreciate it, but would be nice if I didn't just get an A for effort, ya' know? lol

12 hours ago, Limbuwan said:

It would be more fun to take down planes by ground units.

Probably not the time or place, lol. In time though, brother.

I plan on doing more of these comparisons and bad analysis in the future. Starting with more seemingly easy number translations like these. Next will probably involve soldiers and munition usage.

Love you

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
On 10/4/2019 at 3:49 AM, Malleator said:

Below is bad analysis and comparison of PnW and real world military production and standings. Proceed at your own peril.

As much as i respect the effort you forgot something very important, WW2 was over 100 years ago, pretty sure with today using the same number of people same factories but with today's technology, 10,000 tanks would be nothing to make each month let along making 40,000 over what 4 years

10 minutes ago, Elijah Mikaelson said:

As much as i respect the effort you forgot something very important, WW2 was over 100 years ago, pretty sure with today using the same number of people same factories but with today's technology, 10,000 tanks would be nothing to make each month let along making 40,000 over what 4 years

Yes, in fact WW2 Soviet tank factories in PnW numbers (205) could make 41,569 tanks in a month.

Love you

There are all sorts of problems with comparing RL factory production to life here in Orbis. 

Firstly, Soviet and American factories in WW2. American factories were very much more efficient than Soviet ones, but Soviet factories were truly gigantic in scale, often  formed of multiple factories being combined together after the move east. Plus, although there may only have been 10 Soviet tank construction factories there were many many factories producing components that were then sent to these mega-factories. In terms of aircraft numbers, trainers are not the only non-combat types. Transports, reconnaissance, and communications aircraft made up around a third of US WW2 aircraft production for example.

Secondly, WW2 to today. Obviously, modern military production numbers are relatively fewer than WW2 numbers, which could be interpreted in Orbis terms as peacetime military vs wartime military (not every alliance follows such a process though). However it is also true that modern weapons are very much more complex and expensive, meaning a longer production time, higher costs per unit and their assembly cannot be undertaken by a relatively unskilled workforce, unlike WW2-era equipment.

Given that technology does not change in Orbis, and given that different nations do not have different workforces/traditions/government types that meaningfully impact production/etc etc I can't see how there can't be a difference between Orbis and RL.

Mind you, as I've been typing this I've realised that although I can nitpick at some of your detail, your original hypothesis still stands. 

• Upvote 1