Nerf Baseball Earnings

Alex

Guest Karl VII

Reminder that this game isn't a baseball simulator.

Only a small minority of players actually play baseball.

The baseball mini game here is almost as boring as watching real baseball.

When some people come forward with propositions to make baseball more intricate with new mechanics and leagues etc...

I would rather have Alex invest that time in a new game feature that actually more players would use.

37 minutes ago, Alex said:

The maximum revenue generated in a game with max upgrades and two 100 rated teams is ~$127,710 ~$28,000. There are some players playing over 30,000 games a day. Even if they're averaging half of that, that's ~$1.5b ~$420m generated in a day, just playing baseball. And quite possibly with a script that at this point there's really not a way to effectively block (of course, I'm looking into that.)

I'm not planning on removing baseball, but I do think that earnings need to be nerfed, and there needs to be a dropoff point so that people aren't playing 30,000 games a day. That's one game every 2.7 seconds for 24 hours straight. Does no one else think that's ridiculous?

Simple suggestion: either implement a cooldown timer after each game or cap how much earnings you can make from baseball in a day in terms of nerfing. That or just ban the obvious cheaters and change nothing.

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Sure they are. This nation, for example, has played 30,382 games today.

https://politicsandwar.com/nation/id=30694

Fair enough. How many homes or aways? Because if they are all aways the max he is making is $800 per win. Impossible however without cheating to do 30k homes which is where the money is made if you just go off gameplay and not players self regulating.

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No, no one is playing 30k games a day. 100% guarantee that. I'm assuming he meant combined, as in the total number of games played in a day from everyone.

Where is that 100% guarantee at?

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, JasperFrost said:

If you can check to see how many of those were homes vs aways, they were all aways, meaning I get virtually no money from those

Oh no, moving goal posts now?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Administrators
Just now, JasperFrost said:

If you can check to see how many of those were homes vs aways, they were all aways, meaning I get virtually no money from those

I did make a typo which accidentally doubled my calc. It's actually 14,888 games today. They are away games. You can now see this here: https://politicsandwar.com/obl/history/team/id=4485

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

On 10/5/2019 at 5:33 PM, JasperFrost said:

The last four pages of this have been really painful to read

Anyone here advocating removing/nerfing baseball, or think its too strong, go ahead and try to play it for one full hour straight and tell me how much money you made. Odds are, you won't be able to do it for more than 10 minutes. Like I've said about five times, if Alex stops ignoring the reports of people cheating in baseball, the entire problem goes away because the entire top of that list is gone. Even hardcore players have made like 200 mil over the course of years, you can raid that in two days. Baseball money is legit irrelevant (if we remove obvious cheaters like Galerion who's at 13 bil from the list). How likely do you think it is that one guy played more legitimate baseball than Who Me, who's been playing at least an hour a day for five years? If you remove them two from the list the most anyone's ever made is 4 bil in the span of five years, which starts to be a lot less ridiculous, especially considering a lot of that could've been pre-nerfed baseball (remember, baseball got nerfed years ago so we have no idea how that's contaminating these stats)

Edit: Note I've literally never seen anyone make 7 mil in 15 minutes so that TKR guy is high off his ass (and has also never played baseball)

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Sure they are. This nation, for example, has played 30,382 games today.

Sorry, my mistake again. Making a lot of typos today. 14,888 games today. You can now see the number of matches a team has played today on their history page.

https://politicsandwar.com/nation/id=30694

What a beautiful combination of posts.

• Administrators

That's still a lot of games. A game every 5.64 seconds for 24 hours straight (faster because we're not even at 24 hours for the day yet. With 3 hours remaining, it's more like a game every 5 seconds.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

That's still a lot of games. A game every 5.64 seconds for 24 hours straight (faster because we're not even at 24 hours for the day yet. With 3 hours remaining, it's more like a game every 5 seconds.

When I'm actively playing and ping other people to play, say I have 5 people who are actively playing home games, I can hit a game every 0.8 seconds or so on average because its just back click back click back click back click, so you can hit that in only a few hours of actually playing, let me do the math rq

Yeah at 3600 an hour (one game a second) its only four hours of actually playing

The game count is also still less relevant than money earned, and these game-inflating aways make like $2 mil a day for me

Edited by JasperFrost

1 minute ago, Alex said:

But you see, those were away games! Hardly any money made! Except for the (seemingly automated as well) trade requests he sends out for tips. Be interesting to know how many of those he's sent, it's easy to check just look for trades offering food at $500k per unit.

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

To be fair, you can spam away games very quickly using F5 + keeping your mouse at the same location (or simply using the enter key if your browser allows for it). You can easily get it down to a second or less if the server isn't lagging. So you'd need 2-3 hours to spam that many games.

Edited by Bart

I solemnly swear Lord of Darkness is up to no good.

9 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

Interesting deduction.  Who are you again?

I'm Khris Kruel. Who are you?

I think if Alex can see clear evidence that they're a bot, they should be banned. If it's not humanly possible to get those numbers ban them. I think if you are defending 30k games in a day at inhuman numbers, you are just trying to get away with cheating.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bart said:

To be fair, you can spam away games very quickly using F5 + keeping your mouse at the same location (or simply using the enter key if your browser allows for it). You can easily get it down to a second or less if the server isn't lagging<

Anyone who does that for hours on end should be banned for their own mental health.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

You can easily play aways every 2 seconds if there is people always in the queue. The thing is your decisions will affect everyone that plays. Whereas you should look to combat the minority that make more than you are comfortable with. Cap games at 10k or something. 

1 minute ago, Pham Nuwen said:

But you see, those were away games! Hardly any money made! Except for the (seemingly automated as well) trade requests he sends out for tips. Be interesting to know how many of those he's sent, it's easy to check just look for trades offering food at $500k per unit.

I have a lot of outgoing trades, they're mostly for new players who can't send them themselves so I let them tip whatever they want to let them get a foothold in the game

Didn't you people go on and on about some tipping culture and so everyone actually only gets like 12k a game?

Now when someone in NPO plays 15k away games suddenly they're making less than that in money from the all?

Am... I expected to believe people like Who Me don't tip? Lol?

Btw 14,888 games averaging 11k because tipping comes out to just shy of 164m. Congratulations that's over double what my nation grosses net in a week right now.

To all the people trying to bullshit me earlier that you can't realistically do this, it seems multiple people coming to light who are doing exactly as I described. I don't care if you used a bot or not to do it. That shit needs to stop. My entire alliance on 100% money taxes makes that much in two goddamn days right now. That's indefensible.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Akuryo said:

Didn't you people go on and on about some tipping culture and so everyone actually only gets like 12k a game?

Now when someone in NPO plays 15k away games suddenly they're making less than that in money from the all?

Am... I expected to believe people like Who Me don't tip? Lol?

Btw 14,888 games averaging 11k because tipping comes out to just shy of 164m. Congratulations that's over double what my nation grosses net in a week right now.

To all the people trying to bullshit me earlier that you can't realistically do this, it seems multiple people coming to light who are doing exactly as I described. I don't care if you used a bot or not to do it. That shit needs to stop. My entire alliance on 100% money taxes makes that much in two goddamn days right now. That's indefensible.

1. Unless you invest 40m into baseball it makes virtually nothing, and many of those games are against new teams so no one makes any money

2. No tips are guaranteed, I think it was mostly goons people today and they're all new so I got tipped by like three of them today

3. I play baseball to help new players and don't require new players to tip

4. Standard tip rate is 30%, almost no one tips half

I've been tipped by 8 people since day change, 5 of those were for 500k, 1 was for 1 mil, if you want to spend 4 hours of your life for 4 mil go for it

Edited by JasperFrost
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, Pham Nuwen said:

Only one of those trades I know isn't baseball is the one to my guy. He runs a lottery and tickets are 5m each. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am new to the game, so here is a perspective of someone who hasn't played enough baseball to really fricking care, but also hasn't been around long enough to form the opinion that baseball is dumb.

I primarily got involved in baseball (in what little way I am involved), because as a new player really buying into this game I was itching to do something between turns. Now, for me, the money wasn't why I was doing it... But it really doesn't seem fair to the people that have invested in it, the dude that invests an hour or two on games isn't going anywhere near the game breaking marks you are referencing. If you nerf it per game, you are probably going to kill it for the majority of people and suddenly it is just becomes an abandoned feature. 

Cap the games per day. Games per hour. Games per turn. However you want to do it or need to do it. It isn't the primary reason anyone plays the game, but obviously the feedback is telling you that it's a huge deal to a the core players that love the feature as is. You can have your cake and eat it too. Nerfing the quantity of games allowed as opposed to the quality of money per game would allow you to fix what you deem is a gamebreaking oversight, while allowing your users to continue doing their thing in a limited capacity.

tl;dr hey bruh just fricking limit the games

edit: tried to change fricking to the real word, but uh... No dice lmao

Edited by Luca on Luca on Luca
  • Upvote 1