[MULTIPLE] GOONS On Vacation

Do Not Fear Jaz

Guest PhantomThiefB
13 hours ago, DivineCoffeeBinge said:

I mean 40K is pretty fash my dude

Sorry to be the one to break it to you

Part of what can make a game great is racist or political undertones. Dragon Age : Origin's immediately comes to mind via the City Elf or Dwarf Commoner origin. 

Edit : obviously this game is an exception thought, since it's completely different than your average narrative.

Edited by PhantomThiefB

41 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Part of what can make a game great is racist or political undertones. Dragon Age : Origin's immediately comes to mind via the City Elf or Dwarf Commoner origin. 

I did enjoy this one. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DivineCoffeeBinge said:

That, is a conclusion you draw when your know of the 40k lore is limited to "purge the unclean" catchphrases.

The truth is, 40k is a case in point for a catchphrase "Diversity is strength".

3 hours ago, Shadowthrone said:

Actually the PRP ended in 2008 I think. So it was Moo or towards the !@#$ end of his term iirc. My comment was more in line of Francoist thought itself borrowing heavily from Thomas Hobbes rather than any Communist ideologue. There was a strong Hobbesian influence on the political philosophy of the NPO rather than a Marxist bent towards all of Vlad's original essays. 

I mean Cortath was also the last of the NS imports iirc. Nevertheless, the prevailing thought of the NPO stemmed from a more Hobbesian view of philosophy, at least the CN import of the thought. Of course, the classist Userite essays borrowed heavily from Marxism, but the idea of userite vs feederites really had no role in CN. I mean old school NPO borrowed heavily from a bunch of philosophical/theoretical backgrounds and was quite eclectic in its original 2004-2006 philosophical essays :P 

Though it is fair that they did take heavily at an imagery level from the USSR and I think the original NPO forums had other associated imagery from the older Roman Empire in nature with regards to order and control. The NPO's always been associated with the supremacy of the Emperor along with meritocracy, which is paradoxical to the claims of Marxist thought tbh. But what has survived through the last decade and half has been a constant Roman themed Praetorian etc internally at least. I think the PG was Moo? (I could be mistaken) but there has been huge Roman influence in CN at least with regards to the positions/culture etc. 

I think the NPO imbibed a lot of the jokes as a part of its culture like the Jackboot or we eat babies thing, but that's more of an osmosis of silly anti-NPO propaganda that became sort of an internal joke. 

To be honest though, Politics and War would have been the ideal arena for Vlad and co. to really develop a coherent political philosophy, given the taxation system and the proper breeding ground of classist struggle, especially economically wise and the prevailing low tax/ individual "play" dogma. Too bad they missed the boat by a few years :( 

I think PG might be the oldest dept now I think on it. It predates moo by a long stretch. I seem to remember a coonection with either sir paul or lord valentine. I wouldn’t be surprised if it came across from NS or some form of it anyway.

heh, I doubt many of the old guard would enjoy PnW. CN back in 06 was the realm of polisci graduates. PnW caters to the meme crowd more so.

Edited by Charles the Tyrant
  • Upvote 1

Untitled.png

7 hours ago, Charles the Tyrant said:

I do tend to disagree with the likes of Pinochet bring deemed fascist but that is a topic of grey area and considerable debate. Autocratic? Sure, with a dash of  totalitarianism I might add. Fascist though, I'm somewhat sceptical if it meets the criteria of fascism due to how the Chilean economy was managed.

Fair enough. "Right-wing dictators" might have been a better description then.

3 hours ago, Shadowthrone said:

Actually the PRP ended in 2008 I think. So it was Moo or towards the !@#$ end of his term iirc. My comment was more in line of Francoist thought itself borrowing heavily from Thomas Hobbes rather than any Communist ideologue. There was a strong Hobbesian influence on the political philosophy of the NPO rather than a Marxist bent towards all of Vlad's original essays.

The PRP ended in 2006 under Ivan, and a PRP-esque rebrand happened under Moo in late 2007. The original NS version of Francoism was mostly about a class struggle and a revolution, so definitely more Marxist than Hobbesian. The Hobbes stuff was fleshed out more in CN (like you said) because, you know, no Userites.

I think the PG was Moo? (I could be mistaken) but there has been huge Roman influence in CN at least with regards to the positions/culture etc.

PG is as old as NPO. It was the first, or close to the first, internal organization they created in 2006.

I think the NPO imbibed a lot of the jokes as a part of its culture like the Jackboot or we eat babies thing, but that's more of an osmosis of silly anti-NPO propaganda that became sort of an internal joke. 

To be honest though, Politics and War would have been the ideal arena for Vlad and co. to really develop a coherent political philosophy, given the taxation system and the proper breeding ground of classist struggle, especially economically wise and the prevailing low tax/ individual "play" dogma. Too bad they missed the boat by a few years :( 

High taxes are a means to an end. The primary issue has always been the immense wealth of incumbents compared to newcomers, which distorts power by skewing it towards older, larger nations and away from newer, often more numerous nations. Some of that is a consequence individualist attitudes, but it's mostly an issue of groups of players not having power in rough proportion to their membership numbers rather than a problem of redistribution within groups.

3 minutes ago, Charles the Tyrant said:

I think PG might be the oldest dept now I think on it. It predates moo by a long stretch. I seem to remember a connnprction with either sir paul or lord valentine. I wouldn’t be surprised if it came across from NS or some form of it anyway.

heh, I doubt many of the old guard would enjoy PnW. CN back in 06 was the realm of polisci graduates. PnW caters to the meme crowd more so.

Yes, this ^

Edited by Edward I

Eh, this is kinda complex. 40k was originally designed as a humor parody of over-the-top sci fi settings. Then some of its early players, who saw it as a more of a serious setting, became writers and developers, which led to the grimdark future filled with only war we have now. Yeah, the Empire of Terra is pretty fascistic, but (other than being a regular point of view in games and books) they aren't really believed to be "correct" in-setting, and are just a morally gray option in a setting with several other morally gray (self-serving, backstabbing eldar, brainwashing tau, self-serving and hyper-territorial Necron) and less than grey (planet-eating Tyrannids and brutal, rapacious Orks) options.

oh no I just effortposted about 40k, trap sprung

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

sigsize_od.gif
ONE WORLD OR NONE
CyberNations veteran, Co-Pilot Emeritus
Hambassidor (Head Ambassador (Minister of Foreign Affairs)), Head of the Ministry of Log Dumping, GOONS

1 hour ago, JT Jag said:

Eh, this is kinda complex. 40k was originally designed as a humor parody of over-the-top sci fi settings. Then some of its early players, who saw it as a more of a serious setting, became writers and developers, which led to the grimdark future filled with only war we have now. Yeah, the Empire of Terra is pretty fascistic, but (other than being a regular point of view in games and books) they aren't really believed to be "correct" in-setting, and are just a morally gray option in a setting with several other morally gray (self-serving, backstabbing eldar, brainwashing tau, self-serving and hyper-territorial Necron) and less than grey (planet-eating Tyrannids and brutal, rapacious Orks) options.

oh no I just effortposted about 40k, trap sprung

FOUND ONE

And yeah, 40K is admittedly fash insofar as broad swathes of it are simply pastiches of Thatcher's UK, but, well, Thatcher was pretty fash, so

On 10/29/2019 at 2:19 PM, JT Jag said:

Eh, this is kinda complex. 40k was originally designed as a humor parody of over-the-top sci fi settings.

I was 9 years old when I got into Rogue Trader.  Some of the best stuff then.

• Downvote 1

I'd just like to point out a few things:  

- The mspaint image of the flip flop was created by yours truly, for my first war with GOONS v1.0 vs. Fark back in early 2007 (hence the cyan helmets on the ants)
- TKR is really bad at war.  This has been a really entertaining stomping so far.  I like nations like Cooperia that tend to buy soldiers every chance they get, because offensive casualties are a fun stat.  Thanks, dude.
- What happened to Typhon and The Golden Horde?  You guys were jumping in at first, but now you're silent.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, nippythefish said:

I'd just like to point out a few things:  

- The mspaint image of the flip flop was created by yours truly, for my first war with GOONS v1.0 vs. Fark back in early 2007 (hence the cyan helmets on the ants)
- TKR is really bad at war.  This has been a really entertaining stomping so far.  I like nations like Cooperia that tend to buy soldiers every chance they get, because offensive casualties are a fun stat.  Thanks, dude.
- What happened to Typhon and The Golden Horde?  You guys were jumping in at first, but now you're silent.  

I guess my only question is, considering that your tier is dominated by Coalition IQ, how did you manage to lose more tanks, planes, and ships than you have killed? 

It takes skills to do that. But what do I know? Just another pleb in this game. ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Goober said:

I guess my only question is, considering that your tier is dominated by Coalition IQ, how did you manage to lose more tanks, planes, and ships than you have killed? 

It takes skills to do that. But what do I know? Just another pleb in this game. ?

Can't kill what the target doesn't have, genius.

1 minute ago, nippythefish said:

Can't kill what the target doesn't have, genius.

Yet they can kill what you have. Makes me wonder if your opponents are actually fighting smart and deleting expensive units that you can kill.... 

Hmmmmm...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Goober said:

Yet they can kill what you have. Makes me wonder if your opponents are actually fighting smart and deleting expensive units that you can kill.... 

Hmmmmm...

this would make sense if 95% of them didn't check their nations and immediately log off in disgust because they have no possibility of competing.   Even those with pitiful armies that attempt to jump our lower NS nations are finding themselves well-outclassed by our goonrush.  Now, Mr. Beige for next 2.7 days with a score of 278, please sit the hell down.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2