Chess Tournament?

True King

See Chess Tournaments have been done before & Poker goes well with PnW. What if we had a bracket style chess tournament where each participant pays $10m entry free. Then 1st gets 70% of the jackpot. 2nd gets 20% & maybe 3rd gets 5% & whoever does all the work organizing everything gets 5%? Any ideas on best chess platform for it? 

• Upvote 3

Maybe if we can get a preliminary list of those interested, we can get an idea on the demand. (Also would be open to all regardless of spheres & wars)

Edit: @Alex Can maybe add a chess piece award in-game for the grand winner if we do it legit?

Edited by Noctis Anarch Caelum

18 minutes ago, CandyShi said:

Maybe hosting a monetary-reward chess tournament isn't the best idea 

a) over the internet

b) during a global war

I'd be down if it was just for fun, but you'd need to nail out some specifics either way.

Clock time? How are you going to prevent people from using engines? What platform will we play on?

I was up for ideas if people know good platforms already.

1 minute ago, CandyShi said:

I’d be willing to bet that there is at least 1 person who would be willing to enter/cheat for the prize pool. That’s why I think that we shouldn’t do a prize pool

Maybe we’ll do a test w/o a bet; then a lower bet for the first cash one. See how it goes. Not sure how people can be stopped from listening to a chess AI

7 minutes ago, CandyShi said:

I’d be willing to bet that there is at least 1 person who would be willing to enter/cheat for the prize pool. That’s why I think that we shouldn’t do a prize pool

Well now you've made me suspicious. :P

15 minutes ago, CandyShi said:

Can’t figure out how to accept the challenge, did my friend request work?

my name is CandyShiRotMG

lol, somehow I suicided my Queen right away. Good game though, see they have a 3 min option as well.

Edited by Noctis Anarch Caelum

Challonge.com is good for bracket building. It's free to sign up for and free to use. You have to buy a subscription for "premium features" But that's more for like... actual competitions.

lichess.org has built in anti-cheat, iirc. I just can't speak to its effectiveness.

Valinor had a chess tournament before the war went and got in the way. It was pretty fun. I like 5|0 games but if you want more casuals to play for fun, you should probably do a 15|X game.

Bottom_Border Siggy.png

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2019 at 7:05 AM, Pasky Darkfire said:

Challonge.com is good for bracket building. It's free to sign up for and free to use. You have to buy a subscription for "premium features" But that's more for like... actual competitions.

lichess.org has built in anti-cheat, iirc. I just can't speak to its effectiveness.

Valinor had a chess tournament before the war went and got in the way. It was pretty fun. I like 5|0 games but if you want more casuals to play for fun, you should probably do a 15|X game.

Want to help get something setup? Can try both depending on demand and have a server for it.

Bruh... anti-cheating? In chess? You literally can't do that without either the physical presence of a moderator and both competitors, or trust.

I'm not sure which one is the less practical solution here.

1 hour ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Bruh... anti-cheating? In chess? You literally can't do that without either the physical presence of a moderator and both competitors, or trust.

I'm not sure which one is the less practical solution here.

If you give people 2 min to make a move, doubt they’d have much time to ask a bot what to do each move; although maybe. Although if everyone just bets 5-7m; would mostly be for fun.

49 minutes ago, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

If you give people 2 min to make a move, doubt they’d have much time to ask a bot what to do each move; although maybe. Although if everyone just bets 5-7m; would mostly be for fun.

Engines are... a lot faster then that. Especially once you hit endgame.

5 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Engines are... a lot faster then that. Especially once you hit endgame.

Guess if somebody has a bot where they can just keep updating where all the pieces are as the game continues, it wouldn't take long for them to input everything needed for the bot to tell them where to go next. Although I don't have an experience with Chess Bots, so not really sure how good they are. Although you're probably right. Would still be fun doing one, but should probably keep the bets not very high due to the potential of cheaters using AI.

8 hours ago, Bartholomew Roberts said:

If we're really going to shoot down a chess tournament for fear of people using bots, then we might as well never do anything fun.

Let's set one up @Noctis Anarch Caelum 

I'm not saying don't do a chess tournament, I was just responding to Noctis' mentioning some kind of 'anti-cheat', which didn't make sense to me, that's all ?‍♂️

I'd go for it myself but I'm awful at chess ?