9/19/2019 - Disclosure of a Duplication Glitch Occurence

Alex

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
8 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Probably correct. Nova Riata was without doubt complicit in it because it was their leader doing it. AK being complicit isn't proved, and in fact Alex already transferred AKs bank back to them.

But I bet the leaders knew about it, After all at the start of the war AK was complaining about the cost of war and rebuild, out of all those in Citadel Carthage and AK both had very small to no banks so this adds up to why they out of nowhere AK stopped caring about the costs.

12 hours ago, Arianne said:

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for cheating. I noticed this glitch and fell into the temptation of trying to duplicate res. I've been playing this game for 4 years, and I've never done such a thing.

In total I duplicated 3.5b cash and 2m food.

For those of you who know me, I hope that you can forgive me. I should have reported it to Alex.

I'll still hang around discord as I always have.

Guess you funded some of the war effort for BK so they wont come hunting you down like they did Nova

Edit: @Alex I am somewhat glad you did not or was not able to fix it right away, finding people who will abuse bugs and banning them for me is just as important as fixing the bugs. Well done.

Edited by Elijah Mikaelson

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

What happened to Arianne’s message explaining themself?

It was removed as their forum account was banned. You must have a nation in-game to have a forum account.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

It was removed as their forum account was banned. You must have a nation in-game to have a forum account.

Thanks for the explanation. Feel like some who did it probably don’t need a permanent ban, but can’t blame your stance here. Although game does feel a little more empty with at least one long friend who got caught up in this somehow. Is it even worth anyone banned trying to appeal or are you sure all banned were involved enough there is no chance for any leniency? 

I’m happy you fixed the glitch, although personally I’m sad this exploit was in the game & made easy enough to figure out for different people discovered it separate.

A friend who played a long time never cheating had an IRL friend who had just played maybe a week & got them involved somehow. The one who duped didn’t care about being banned, but the friend who only got 1 city from it & losing 24 cities they got legit is very sad. Exploits like this shouldn’t be so easy someone new to the game can figure it out & end up getting others banned as well tempting them with small amounts; which could easily be removed knocking off a city. 

So personally apart from the duped money removed & glitch finally fixed; I still have sympathy for the good people who made a bad decision in their state of mind at the moment. (Even if I guess the popular opinion is not to have any sympathy for these people who made a terrible mistake)

Edited by Noctis Anarch Caelum
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
3 hours ago, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

Thanks for the explanation. Feel like some who did it probably don’t need a permanent ban, but can’t blame your stance here. Although game does feel a little more empty with at least one long friend who got caught up in this somehow. Is it even worth anyone banned trying to appeal or are you sure all banned were involved enough there is no chance for any leniency? 

I’m happy you fixed the glitch, although personally I’m sad this exploit was in the game & made easy enough to figure out for different people discovered it separate.

A friend who played a long time never cheating had an IRL friend who had just played maybe a week & got them involved somehow. The one who duped didn’t care about being banned, but the friend who only got 1 city from it & losing 24 cities they got legit is very sad. Exploits like this shouldn’t be so easy someone new to the game can figure it out & end up getting others banned as well tempting them with small amounts; which could easily be removed knocking off a city. 

So personally apart from the duped money removed & glitch finally fixed; I still have sympathy for the good people who made a bad decision in their state of mind at the moment. (Even if I guess the popular opinion is not to have any sympathy for these people who made a terrible mistake)

I agree to those who made a mistake or a mis-judgement should get a slap on the wrist, however lets not act like Arianne only did this once or twice, pretty sure this happened a lot before Alex even started to take action, bet AK got a few billions before this was started to be logged.

3 hours ago, Elijah Mikaelson said:

I agree to those who made a mistake or a mis-judgement should get a slap on the wrist, however lets not act like Arianne only did this once or twice, pretty sure this happened a lot before Alex even started to take action, bet AK got a few billions before this was started to be logged.

My friend lost got involved from someone they knew IRL & figured the glitch out playing only a week or so; so completely unrelated to Arianne’s mishap. Although think they lost confidence to even try appealing the ban seeing the cold judgement cast, even though they don’t really deserve the ban & their real friends know it.

5 hours ago, Comrade Marx said:

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Can't say I'm surprised to see this from an alliance that dances on the line of openly being Nazis and whose members have spammed our discord with Nazi propaganda and bigoted "jokes." 

I like this guy.

As for cheaters, frick them. Even the simplest exploit destroys the integrity of the entire game space. Ban them, forum ban them, IP ban them, tell their mamas, everything that can legally be done to protect the game, they should be subject to.

As for whether or not AK gov knew, probably. It would require a ton of incompetence not to know, but the problem is, it's near impossible to disprove incompetence. So we've reached the best solution possible here already.

Edited by durmij
  • Upvote 4

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
6 hours ago, durmij said:

I like this guy.

As for cheaters, frick them. Even the simplest exploit destroys the integrity of the entire game space. Ban them, forum ban them, IP ban them, tell their mamas, everything that can legally be done to protect the game, they should be subject to.

As for whether or not AK gov knew, probably. It would require a ton of incompetence not to know, but the problem is, it's near impossible to disprove incompetence. So we've reached the best solution possible here already.

Well Arianne I am pretty sure was within Citadel high gov chats, that would make them high gov within AK, plus lets be truthful we all knew AK gov knew about it and just playing dumb they wont come forward and say yes we knew and did nothing.

Really it shouldn’t be possible to duplicate money & people with money to burn get money. Deflecting all the blame for faulty game design allowing what shouldn’t be possible on those who discovered & only benefited a small amount from it I’m not sure is the right way.

Deleting their gain, finding out how they did it & fixing it might be better imo.

• Downvote 2

Awesome work Alex. Excellent way to handle both the situation and the fallout/transparency.

I do have to ask though... To me it's seeming like there may be a potential for every function of the game to be "duplicated" in some similar manner. First it was trades with Nova (I think), now it's bank transactions, I believe there are still a handful of reports about duplicate attacks and MAP's not being used... Again I don't truly understand how they all interconnect so this is just from my own layman's understanding of the situation.

How vulnerable is the game to continued duplication abuse? Both of resources (cash/rss) and actions (attacks/baseball/trades)?

• Administrators
On 9/24/2019 at 6:59 PM, Epi said:

If you read this again Sheepy, when did AK begin exploiting? Like a specific date.

Off the top of my head, 9/15.

• Like 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

In a weird case of cosmic coincidence, 9/15 was the exact date it was discovered/discussed in our coalition leaders chat. If they began exploiting mere hours later, it beggars belief that Khai didn't know...that he didn't tell them about it...didn't play any part in it.

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
17 hours ago, Epi said:

In a weird case of cosmic coincidence, 9/15 was the exact date it was discovered/discussed in our coalition leaders chat. If they began exploiting mere hours later, it beggars belief that Khai didn't know...that he didn't tell them about it...didn't play any part in it.

Everyone who is not blind knows AK gov knew about it, the issue is Alex can not prove it as he do not use discord screen shots.

Whats even more funny is BK the righteous who attacked nova for cheating is protecting AK who is cheating lol, goes to show BK will flip flop on there morals depending on if your cheating helps them or not.

On 9/20/2019 at 12:53 AM, Alex said:

• 12514518 of 3152114201825 (ID 81440) (EDIT: After further review, I do not believe this nation was involved in the exploit.)

The majority of the funds duplicated were transferred to Arianne of Rijk's alliance which was operating as some sort of player-run bank, as well as "Arabian Korps" which was apparently Afrika Korps' "offshore bank."

I would like to say that I was one of the persons who got banned out of the blue due to what Arianne did. I'm pissed that I got lumped in with this bs. And as you can see above Alex gave me my nation back because I had absolutely nothing to do with what the hell happened here.

https://politicsandwar.com/nation/id=178759

On 9/22/2019 at 12:53 AM, Elijah Mikaelson said:

AK clearly had no involvement in this bs, and stop saying such. I've been econ since AKs founding since before Odin joined, there's been no shady transactions.

On 9/25/2019 at 3:59 AM, Epi said:

If you read this again Sheepy, when did AK begin exploiting? Like a specific date.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:16 AM, Alex said:

Off the top of my head, 9/15.

Alex clearly wrapped up the specifics, double checked the logs and saw that we had nothing to do with this. That is the reason as to why I, the one holding the AK bank in the first place was unbanned and restored.

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
16 minutes ago, Asphodel said:

I would like to say that I was one of the persons who got banned out of the blue due to what Arianne did. I'm pissed that I got lumped in with this bs. And as you can see above Alex gave me my nation back because I had absolutely nothing to do with what the hell happened here.

https://politicsandwar.com/nation/id=178759

AK clearly had no involvement in this bs, and stop saying such. I've been econ since AKs founding since before Odin joined, there's been no shady transactions.

Alex clearly wrapped up the specifics, double checked the logs and saw that we had nothing to do with this. That is the reason as to why I, the one holding the AK bank in the first place was unbanned and restored.

So the gov of AK was told in high gov chat (Col B high gov) about the bug and the very same day AK abuse it and you claim AK gov had no knowledge, not sure about you but I know Arianne and others who was hit did not read it from that channel but clearly told by Don (Khai) but yet you still claim they knew nothing. 

On 9/25/2019 at 10:32 PM, Bartholomew Roberts said:

I do have to ask though... To me it's seeming like there may be a potential for every function of the game to be "duplicated" in some similar manner. First it was trades with Nova (I think), now it's bank transactions, I believe there are still a handful of reports about duplicate attacks and MAP's not being used... Again I don't truly understand how they all interconnect so this is just from my own layman's understanding of the situation.

How vulnerable is the game to continued duplication abuse? Both of resources (cash/rss) and actions (attacks/baseball/trades)?

Well, we know duplication of attacks and beiges are possible too because a lot of that went on during Knightfall so that makes alliance bank sending, trades, attacks, and beiges all able to be duplicated. I know all this came up back when the Nova situation happened and we realized then the issue was probably a game-wide duplication glitch but I was under the impression it had been fixed/was being addressed until this happened. @Alex, when you say it's fixed this time, does that mean it is fixed now for all actions? We won't ever have any more duplication of anything?

BrOQBND.jpg

40 minutes ago, Nizam Adrienne said:

Well, we know duplication of attacks and beiges are possible too because a lot of that went on during Knightfall so that makes alliance bank sending, trades, attacks, and beiges all able to be duplicated. I know all this came up back when the Nova situation happened and we realized then the issue was probably a game-wide duplication glitch but I was under the impression it had been fixed/was being addressed until this happened. @Alex, when you say it's fixed this time, does that mean it is fixed now for all actions? We won't ever have any more duplication of anything?

Alex says, "I will note that this instance is quite a bit different than the previous duplication glitch (you may remember as the "Nova Riata Scandal"). There was a different method of duplication used here."

so presumably everyone didn't know this was possible.

gg-fu-banner.png

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
14 hours ago, Nizam Adrienne said:

well as this happened three hours ago i am willing to say there still tons of bugs not fixed.

18 hours ago, Nizam Adrienne said:

Exactly my concern.

It would appear the "duplication" glitch may be a systematic problem that every action in the game is vulnerable to and fixing each instance of the glitch is putting band-aids on a dam breaking... 

• Upvote 2

• Jax locked this topic