A War Market

Tikonsociety

This new game mechanic it would be a market where people could sell Aircraft,Soldiers,Naval ships,Missiles,and Nuke. To balance this when you get rid of things like how we do now you would get half the resources that you paid in with back. and to balance the nukes and missiles, If you don't have the infrastructure to build missiles or nukes, Then when you used them there would be a 50% chance that it would veer off course and hit your biggest city.I believe this feature would  level  out the prices of Steel,Munitions,Aluminium,Gas,and uranium. This would overall lower the prices of the entire economy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm not quite sure I understand the point. Players can buy military equipment from other players? Wouldn't that break the current war system where you can only purchase a certain amount of units per day? 

Not necessarily a bad thing, but just a thought

I can see some potential in this. 
But you need some clear restrictions. Like you can't buy more mercenaries, then what your army currently have in the field would be a good one. 
Or just whatever procenties of your current standing army, that make sense for gameplay balance, which also works from a RP perspective. 
As not many nations have remained independent, after hiring a bigger  mercenary force then their own armies.
And it of course goes by itself, that the same max army cap for your nation stay the same. So that you can't hire more units then your country is able to support. 

So mercenaries can be used to quickly rebuild ones forces, make double buys more devasting and to make nations able to stick in a fight for longer. 
That should help with solving deadlock wars like the one where we in right now. 
Where we stock in the score ranges our coalition alreadry control. 

Of course this is still heavily open for abuse, and it would probably not take long, before mercenary selling will be used as a CB. 

tenor (1).gif

I think it shouldn't adhere to the max army rule. A nation can buy more tanks, for example, to inflict more damage or loot more money. Double buy + soldiers would be the thing I'd be most excited about. Currently the balance of war is firmly in favor of the attacker. It could help change that a bit, even if not that much. The no. of total mercenaries, as you said could be restricted to a certain percentage of the nation's maximum army strength. Basing it on current army strength would not be good as nations with 0 current army would not be able to buy mercenaries.

42 minutes ago, Marlboro lalo said:

Basing it on current army strength would not be good as nations with 0 current army would not be able to buy mercenaries.

That is the main point for why i said it should be based of current army strenght. I take it, that you are not fighting in current global war, or have that much experience in warfare?  

Do you know how small ones score can get without a millitary? Let me give you an example, today i was down declared on by a guy with half my city count. 
I can just buy units for one day, and i would outnumber him in everything. 
Nation scores is not well balanced as it is, allowing bigger nation to lower their millitary, and then declare war on a bunchs of nation with a faction of their cities and score. 
And then double buy units + mercenary force, and they would then be able to frick over 5 to 8 nations at ones, depending if they picked up some low score counters aswell. 
If a dusin whales coordinate like this, most mircos alliances would be ripped apart. 

If nation is "restricted to a certain percentage of the nation's maximum army strength" it would frick way to much with the nationscores, and abused to kingdom come. 
Even thought bringining in merc forces, in frist place would alreadry unbalance and alreadry unbalanced system. Only being able to buy less merc then ones standing army wouldn't fix this, but it would help. 

Edited by Zim
  • Like 1

tenor (1).gif

Right on both counts. I think the strength value of military should be changed. It allows for too much fluctuation. A 6k nation should not come down to 1k range by decomming military. As you rightly said, their rebuy would be still too high. Current military is probably the best idea. Won't allow for extreme fluctuations while still adding some firepower to nations

This is already a thing Alex was planning on implementing years ago as I discussed in my topic 

Here is the image of the proposed "black market" as it was called, where players could sell their tanks, planes, etc to eachother to get around the daily limit. 

67VHqBX.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

gg-fu-banner.png

Silly question. How is this different from simply constructing military units yourself? 

Yes it means you can buy units with money but without spending resources, but given that it is a market it would undoubtedly be cheaper to just buy the resources and then make the units. And, of course, a blockade would stop it anyway.

9 hours ago, Mandystalin said:

Silly question. How is this different from simply constructing military units yourself? 

Yes it means you can buy units with money but without spending resources, but given that it is a market it would undoubtedly be cheaper to just buy the resources and then make the units. And, of course, a blockade would stop it anyway.

Building up. Right now we are limited in how many units we can make per day. If we make units to our limit and then buy the rest from the market you can build from 0 to max military in only one day.

gg-fu-banner.png

So breaking the current war system. Again, not necessarily a bad thing. 

I'm just confused because lots of people in this topic seem to want limits on how much you can buy, which to me makes it pointless. IMO either we break the war system or this has no point.

Follow-up question, would blockades affect this market?

I guess this could be interesting if:

1. Total unit counts are still limited by the capacity of a nation's military improvements. A black market can be viewed as simply leveraging the daily unit production of other nations, but not circumventing the need for infrastructure and military improvements to actually support those units.
  2. Blockades prevent black market trading. Seems obvious, and should make ships even more relevant and blockades significantly more important to secure.
Edited by Zephyr

My biggest concern is that this would benefit those with a ton of money to spend, in other words, the whales. It’s already hard enough to take down the whale tier in a war, imagine how hard it would be if they could buy thousands of additional units at will.

There would need to be some sort of risk that comes along with hiring mercs, or black market units. These sorts of sales should be, effectively secret with a chance of them being caught. If they're caught maybe you lose some of your own units of that type to desertion. Maybe you lose some income/resources mining capacity due to political blow back in your nation..

Basically what I'm saying is being able to build above your unit cap on a daily basis is a very powerful thing. There are times where I'd spend 200M to be able to buy 1000 planes in a day to be able to win my wars and save a large amount of infra. There needs to be a risk to being able to do this, not just a cost. What that risk is, I don't have an effective answer for the time being. 

• Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

28 minutes ago, Prefontaine said:

There would need to be some sort of risk that comes along with hiring mercs, or black market units. These sorts of sales should be, effectively secret with a chance of them being caught. If they're caught maybe you lose some of your own units of that type to desertion. Maybe you lose some income/resources mining capacity due to political blow back in your nation..

Basically what I'm saying is being able to build above your unit cap on a daily basis is a very powerful thing. There are times where I'd spend 200M to be able to buy 1000 planes in a day to be able to win my wars and save a large amount of infra. There needs to be a risk to being able to do this, not just a cost. What that risk is, I don't have an effective answer for the time being. 

I agree there should be as kind of risk. If perks ever come out you could even have one that negates the negative effects of mercenary units. 

gg-fu-banner.png

If no one has said it yet, Mercenaries should also have a higher upkeep cost during peacetime and during war time. They shouldn't have the same cost as your own "nationally" recruited forces. I think a good way to do it is to give them a separate pool and maybe mercenaries should only make up 1/4th of your total recruitable force at most (per unit of course: 1/4th more planes, 1/4th more tanks, 1/4th more soldiers etc)... 

Edited by Singha

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 9:21 PM, Zephyr said:

I guess this could be interesting if:

1. Total unit counts are still limited by the capacity of a nation's military improvements. A black market can be viewed as simply leveraging the daily unit production of other nations, but not circumventing the need for infrastructure and military improvements to actually support those units.
  2. Blockades prevent black market trading. Seems obvious, and should make ships even more relevant and blockades significantly more important to secure.

I 100 percent agree