The Hidden Cost of Winning

MRBOOTY

3 minutes ago, James T. Kirk said:

Were ready to accept your surrender on the first day of Oct 2019 for a period of 24 hrs. Have it ready then and we can end it :)

Boredom isn't a reason sufficient for surrender. But if everyone stop attacking I will too. :) 

The Hidden cost of winning!
Thank you for acknowledging that we are wining Sir and of course it will cost us... its a war!
the only good coming out of this similar posts about "oooh Collation B members are doing as bad as we are doing" is just a hit list i make from nations who are bragging about the amount of money they make or the loots they are taking, and then I just attack them and kill their soldiers (8 million soldiers so far) and take their money (2 billion loot and counting).
I wish this war never ends because as an average 18th city player in peace time i was making like 3m a day (damn Gorge with his taxes) but now i just deposit all kinds of resources i take from you guys to my alliance bank on weekly bases (just deposited 150k food from last week). My revenue is positive despite military upkeep because i don't have to be at max planes and i just do ground attacks with only soldiers without ammunition. this can't get any better why should we peace out?!
And for those of you who think its just him not the whole collation i quote a post @alyster made: KERCHTOG total loot so far 170.773B, Coaliton B 78.615B. Today is 26th of August. Lets see how it changes.  Well today is 13th of September and we made 5B loot more than you guys so no worries.
But I'm just a average Roq sheep and BK slave so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Faravahar
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Speaking of, I counted the members in each activity beacon/diamond just yesterday for the Guinea Pig Whaling Corp:
Purple (active more than 7 days ago) = 102
Red (active in the last 7 days) = 92
Orange (active in the last 3 days) = 111

Therefore their 515 membership less:
Purples = 413 (~80% not Purple)
Purples & Red = 321 (~62% not Purple or Red)
Purples & Red & Orange = 210 (~40% not Purple, Red or Orange)

So yeah already nearing half inactive. Over the rest of this year if they keep 150 of those guys currently not inactive then I'd be impressed. That's not saying the Guinea Pigs suck its just this game has a high attrition rate for newbies. 

2 hours ago, Faravahar said:

And for those of you who think its just him not the whole collation i quote a post @alyster made: KERCHTOG total loot so far 170.773B, Coaliton B 78.615B. Today is 26th of August. Lets see how it changes.  Well today is 13th of September and we made 5B loot more than you guys so no worries.
But I'm just a average Roq sheep and BK slave so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about with my poor English skills.

DB not in the statistics. I personally have alot of juicy stuff invested into DB in last week. 

20 hours ago, Rebekah Mikaelson said:

If I'm wrong tell me why y'all are still fighting at this point. Since both sides have claimed victory. 1 one the first stage of the war, the other won over the entire duration. At this point its just 2 sets of ppl fighting with no purpose. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one that made that assessment.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Aragorn, son of Arathorn said:

Compared to your plan of what? Sitting there with nothing? Your whole strategy relies on BK and NPO running out before you. Good luck lol.

Is that our strategy?

Hell, I’m just plundering and having you folks burn resources on me.

• Upvote 2

Divided States of Embarasmnt looted $0, 111 Coal, 188 Oil, 195 Uranium, 225 Iron, 220 Bauxite, 230 Lead, 102 Gasoline, 141 Munitions, 264 Steel, 0 Aluminum, and 55,451 Food.

That covers military upkeep for 10 days. 

Edited by Loki the psycho
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Buorhann said:

Is that our strategy?

Hell, I’m just plundering and having you folks burn resources on me.

Half of your active wars are negative net damage, so perhaps you should refine your strategy chief.

kbedgRk.png

Edited by Pop
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Pop said:

Half of your active wars are negative net damage, so perhaps you should refine your strategy chief.

kbedgRk.png

Can you really talk about strategy when more than half of your own alliance are in negative net?

That being said, facts are stubborn things but statistics are pliable and useless without context.

Edited by Charles the Tyrant

Untitled.png

3 hours ago, Pop said:

kbedgRk.png

Only for now.  There are 5 days to go through without beiging.  I never claimed I "won" all of my wars.  Sometimes you have to ignore a couple of battles for more profitable ones.

However, in regards to those NPO battles, I may just ignore those.  Still debating on that.  It's not like you can keep me pinned down while I go on the offensive elsewhere.

Edited by Buorhann
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Faravahar said:

The Hidden cost of winning!
Thank you for acknowledging that we are wining Sir and of course it will cost us... its a war!
the only good coming out of this similar posts about "oooh Collation B members are doing as bad as we are doing" is just a hit list i make from nations who are bragging about the amount of money they make or the loots they are taking, and then I just attack them and kill their soldiers (8 million soldiers so far) and take their money (2 billion loot and counting).
I wish this war never ends because as an average 18th city player in peace time i was making like 3m a day (damn Gorge with his taxes) but now i just deposit all kinds of resources i take from you guys to my alliance bank on weekly bases (just deposited 150k food from last week). My revenue is positive despite military upkeep because i don't have to be at max planes and i just do ground attacks with only soldiers without ammunition. this can't get any better why should we peace out?!
But I'm just a average Roq sheep and BK slave so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about with my poor English skills.

lULnhv.gif

• Downvote 2

Bottom_Border Siggy.png

On 9/13/2019 at 3:18 AM, Pop said:

This got me thinking about the economic impact of the war on alliances, so I broke down damage received onto a per member basis. Using the count of all the members the stats site has registered as being in the alliance and fighting during the war. And only for Alliances that have taken at least 10bn damage because frick the plebs. Unsurprisingly GOB is at the top and Arrgh is at the bottom. 

image.thumb.png.8b67ff28ea05263e89a468e0cf9ebba3.png

What interests me about this data is that some Alliances are bearing quite a large amount of cost relative to the average. You can also really see the effect of TFP being hit by both sides

This is interesting but I don't think it fully represents a true "economic" impact of these alliances.

It's only economic in the sense that you can see how much money is directly lost through units/infra lost. Given, that's really as deep as you can go with a stat-tracker website and still be considered reasonable especially with the API limits probably.

Some things to consider would be stuff like:

- Amount of resources spent on attacks and defenses

- (I personally don't think upkeep is a huge difference maker but) upkeep of units for the duration of a months long war

- Did they get a RoI on the expensive higher infra purchases

- A lot of nations have debt to 3rd parties where repayment was interrupted by the war. How will rebuilding and then debt impact their ability to grow in the future?

- How many mines/refineries were decommissioned for the war effort? How many commerce improvements? Basically lost potential income.

And then depending on the picture you want to paint...

- the high-infra losses experienced by some people already had exceeded a RoI. Did they really take a net loss from that infra being destroyed if they made more than it cost to rebuild prior to it being destroyed?

- An inflated resource market might be giving people huge boosts to income that don't reflect on net damages.

etc. There's a lot of factors for an accurate economic picture and depending on the time period you look at... Some people may have experienced a "loss" but not a "net loss".

This is why judging a war's outcome on stats is stupid anyway. I'm much more of a mind to agree that operational control is a signal of victory.

Edited by Bartholomew Roberts

7 hours ago, Bartholomew Roberts said:

Amount of resources spent on attacks and defenses

Well the stats site tracks all gas and munitions spent. As well as the resource costs of destroyed units. So I think that's covered.

How many mines/refineries were decommissioned for the war effort? How many commerce improvements? Basically lost potential income.

This is the big one, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the difference between prewar productivity and the current rates. With how cheap units are the opportunity cost of giving up peacetime production to fight is likely the main cost of war.

the high-infra losses experienced by some people already had exceeded a RoI. Did they really take a net loss from that infra being destroyed if they made more than it cost to rebuild prior to it being destroyed?

Well if we're going to complicate it that much then we should also take the NPV of their income from that infra had it not been destroyed at all and compare it to the cost of rebuilding. Even if you made back your initial infrastructure investment, by selling or having your infra burned in the war you've lost the potential future cash flows from it unless you take on the new cost of rebuilding and hoping you don't get hit before it pays off. Then again, this entire line of thought assumes that the only thing you value is money, and not the intangible glory of sacrificing blood to the blood god :P

• Upvote 1

No one said that loot is not only damage done but also something you gain so double value

For example my current net damage is 2.4B but I have 1B looted and 175M lost in loot, this means my net loot is 825M and therefore my real net is over 3.2B because I gained over 800M that financed the cost of the units, gas and ammo I used to fight

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PhantomThiefB
1 hour ago, Micchan said:

No one said that loot is not only damage done but also something you gain so double value

For example my current net damage is 2.4B but I have 1B looted and 175M lost in loot, this means my net loot is 825M and therefore my real net is over 3.2B because I gained over 800M that financed the cost of the units, gas and ammo I used to fight

Loot taken is also calculated into the damage caused in an attack.

Edit : To be clear, your net damage is exactly what it says 2.4B, except maybe improvements destroyed. I'm not sure on that one.

Edited by PhantomThiefB

It doesn't account for people generating free cash.

Between Baseball, Keno, Dice, and daily bonus' - you're pretty set to keep perma-warring.

Ever since the changes from the days of old, there's really no reason to stop unless you're just bored of war.

18 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

It doesn't account for people generating free cash.

Between Baseball, Keno, Dice, and daily bonus' - you're pretty set to keep perma-warring.

Ever since the changes from the days of old, there's really no reason to stop unless you're just bored of war.

Funnily enough, I track baseball profits game wide too.

You are also way behind.

Guest Elijah Mikaelson

Fast forward to 2029

Col A: We making you burn resources
Col B: We make more than we spend

Leap forward 2039

Col A: We making you burn resources
Col B: We make more than we spend

See you all in 2049