8/30/2019 - Additions to the Game Rules

Alex

13 hours ago, Alex said:

The Game Rules have been revised, adding two new additions:

Faking Vacation Mode

The first addition is an additional paragraph in the "Vacation Mode" section.

As many of you may have noticed, in the past couple of weeks a number of players have started putting screenshots of the "This nation is in Vacation Mode for X turns" notice normally displayed at the top of a nation's page when they're in Vacation Mode. I've gotten enough confused/outraged messages about "how can so-and-so declare new wars when they're in vacation mode? They're CHEATING" that I am officially making it against the rules to do so.

I'll offer a grace period of about a week to let people remove these fake Vacation Mode identifiers if they have them.

Moderation as a Weapon

This second rule addition is an entire new section of the Game Rules.

This rule is being added to prevent players from abusing each other with threats of reports to myself or other moderators. It is now explicitly against the rules to do things like "hey, if you don't pay me $10,000,000, I'll report you for multis."

If you have any questions, please ask here. As always, moderation discretion is going to be applied when enforcing these new rules.

Alex out of all the rules you've made this is most laughable. Keep up the good work buddy! ?

• Downvote 1

Goomy: *Hot Goomy is 5 miles away from you and looking to have some fun*

Guilo: O.O Click bait is sooooooo tempting

Aoi Toori: Well its Goomy, who wouldn't?

If Dillon A McCann is Ted Cruz then doesn't that make him the zodiac killer? Rip zodiac #EndofZodiac

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
9 hours ago, Rosey Song said:

And all that does is create fear of reporting, if you're not cheating there's really no effect in simple claims.  The player reports you, Alex takes a look, everyone goes about their day.

There is however legal ramifications in allowing blackmail to occur on your website.

Clearly stated people posting in the report forum would be fine, im talking about the fact they use it in non reporting forums.

Wish people would read every post, I have said a few times if people post within the right forum to report someone within the right way good thats fine, its when you get silly comments outside of the right forum making claims of someone cheating should be punished

Edited by Elijah Mikaelson

16 hours ago, Inst said:

[...] mods should be deployed aggressively by users at any given moment for any political or personal advantage. That, at least, gets people to try to tiptoe the rules to avoid getting hit by this weapon. The alternative is a lack of effective enforcement.

Do you even read what you're saying? The mods should not in any circumstance be deployed for any sort of advantage, they should only be used if you feel that someone is breaking the game rules; in that case you should just always do what's right and report them, instead of trying to exploit the situation for your own gain. If you knowingly gain because someone else is breaking the rules, that's just as bad as breaking the rules yourself. If everyone reports everything just so they can gain an advantage out of it, that just creates a terrible and unhealthy environment for the game. I don't see how this would result in more effective enforcement of the rules, please do enlighten me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, MCMaster-095 said:

Do you even read what you're saying? The mods should not in any circumstance be deployed for any sort of advantage, they should only be used if you feel that someone is breaking the game rules; in that case you should just always do what's right and report them, instead of trying to exploit the situation for your own gain. If you knowingly gain because someone else is breaking the rules, that's just as bad as breaking the rules yourself. If everyone reports everything just so they can gain an advantage out of it, that just creates a terrible and unhealthy environment for the game. I don't see how this would result in more effective enforcement of the rules, please do enlighten me.

Well, pooball getting banned was advantageous to multiple entities in PnW. As a corollary, should we unban him because it was politically advantageous to multiple parties?

Guys. @Alex should correct me if I’m wrong, but my interpretation of the “mods as weapon” rule is:

If you see rulebreaking behavior, report it.

It is as simple as that.

It shouldn’t, and now doesn’t matter what your relationship with the reported party is; all that matters is that you don’t frick around with threats or blackmail and just directly report it.

Now, it should hopefully still be fine to approach the rule violator and remind them in a friendly, apolitical and most importantly OOC manner of the rule that they’re possibly unintentionally breaking; like “hey man, you know we can’t have a swastika on our flag, might want to get rid of that before a mod sees it”. The difference between that and shit like “fight your war in the way I want you to or I’ll report you” or “give me money or I’ll report you” is the demand made in the latter two.

Really, this shouldn’t be a difficult concept. Don’t make demands, just remind and if necessary report. Simple.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 5:36 PM, Rosey Song said:

Honestly man, I'm too lazy to keep changing it on every damn device I buy or download.  I open in in chrome, it's dark, I open it in opera, it's light, I open on my old phone it was dark, I open on my new one, it's still light.  Needs to be a universal setting.

Add Microsoft edge. I think you can fit it maybe one or two more multis before it gets suspicious. 

• Jax locked this topic