Color Mechanics Overhaul

Edward I

Let’s copy the most annoying features from CN here, so with sheer numbers any hegemony focused group can prevent a nation from trading with others in the game; doing so pushing them out of the game is easy..

No thanks, senate powers are always abused so those less connected get sanctioned out of the game if they fight back against any bad alliance who’s become part of that hegemony.

Edited by Noctis Anarch Caelum
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Guest Zephyr

This sounds like it just gives large member count alliances an even greater advantage by locking down tools to further political and economic bullying of smaller alliances. I can't see how this idea is fun for anyone else.

9 hours ago, Akuryo said:

When I said id like if colors were more useful for politics, I didn't mean to do so by making this game even more of a CN clone.

What did you have in mind, if not something along these lines?

8 hours ago, Zephyr said:

This sounds like it just gives large member count alliances an even greater advantage by locking down tools to further political and economic bullying of smaller alliances. I can't see how this idea is fun for anyone else.

It doesn't. Only the relative average city count (cities are correlated with member count) of alliances across different colors matters, and even then only indirectly.

It also gives a lot of power to numerically inferior groups:

• Alliances with high average city counts get more political power per vote. It's possible to outvote them, but any senators elected in this way won't have much political power to bully them with.
  • Senates are fragile. Electing even one senator hostile to a group that controls a color would allow you to use up 100% of that color's political power, either by banning the controlling group's nations or by sending the political power to a different color. To accomplish this you'd only need between 1/7 and 1/3 as many nations as the controlling group.
  • Bullying people is deliberately expensive. Banning a nation from a color, for example, costs over 3x the amount of political power that nation would gain you if it was friendly and voted for a consensus candidate. And, if you use up all your political power using the banhammer, you'll have nothing left for economic policies. I'd say it's likelier that large alliances will have to canvass smaller ones for votes.
  • The bottom five colors each get 11 political power per turn for every 20 the top color gets, and for any colors in between the disparity is even smaller. That makes it viable for people to spread out across fourteen colors rather than cluster together in the shadow of mass member alliances: control of even the worst colors gets you more than 50% of benefits of the best colors, and high voter turnout would close that gap even further. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one color became a haven for raiders, for example, thanks to the privateering policy, the protection having their own color would grant raiders, and Arrgh's generally high member count.
Edited by Edward I

On 8/23/2019 at 9:48 PM, Edward I said:

All inter-color trades and transfers cost $50 per unit to complete, assessed against the actor which complete the trade

So I'm just gonna go through and point out all of the places where I see potential for improvement.  Personally, I'm indifferent to these changes as a whole, but I like to see progress even if it's just for the sake of progress.

I don't agree with this because it makes sale of cheap resources like food untenable.  Maybe if it was a percentage instead of a per unit tax such as 2% or some arbitrary percentage of value traded.  Also, maybe give grey a pass or a lower rate of like 0.1% or something, so traders can still do their thing effectively without significant impedance.  

This diminishes the first strike advantage in the current war mechanics and makes it slightly easier for smaller groups of nations to defend against larger groups

I don't know if this is for the best because the first-strike advantage is also important for smaller groups of nations having a chance against larger groups just the same.  Reducing the blitz-advantage isn't necessarily going to solve the problems with the meta right now. We'd need something much more dramatic in the restructuring of the war mechanics.

All inter-color trades and transfers take one day (12 turns) to complete

• Upon completion, traded or transferred resources are removed from the sending bank or nation
    • These resources cannot be looted while in transit
    • Blockaded nations cannot complete trades or transfers which require them to send money or resources
    • Trades that would require a blockaded nation to send resources cannot be accepted by other nations
  • After 12 complete turns, traded or transferred resources are deposited in the receiving nation

Personally, I find a whole day to be a bit excessive, and this would severely detriment an underdog's ability to fight back if blanket blockaded.  I have a thought though it may be a bit complicated.  Maybe, a nation only receives 50% of the bank transfer instantaneously and there is a turn-window (2 hours) to reblockade, during which the blockading nation can steal the other 50%.  This allows for resources to get through, but also ups the stakes by threatening to give resources to the enemy.

• Options for seasonal effects on food production: 
    • Remove seasons entirely
    • Keep them paired with the same resources they are now (e.g. nations with formerly South American resources experience winter when nations with formerly North American resources experience summer)
    • Randomly assign seven colors to the “Northern Hemisphere” and seven to the “Southern Hemisphere” and re-implement seasonal effects accordingly
  • Consider removing Antarctica’s resource set since the nerfs to food production associated with it would no longer exist

An even simpler solution is just keep locations as is and tie seasons to that.  Tie resources to your choice/credits and perhaps add specialization buffs for majority/plurality-produced resources per color bloc.  

Each color generates political power based on its rank and the number of votes its elected senators receive

• Rank is determined by the following formula:

color rank score = (number of cities on color) / ((total number of cities in active nations)*(number of alliances on color))

• For each color, this is essentially equal to: (average cities per alliance) / (total cities in all active nations)
  • Each turn, political power accrues in each color’s bank based on the following formula:

political power per turn = (points from color rank) + (number of cities in nations which voted for the color’s current senators) 

I don't like how larger colors get more political power.  It should be relatively equal if not favored in smaller blocs otherwise everyone is going to group up in one or a few colors.  This also represents a significant bias against individual alliances without significant allies and smaller/new alliances.

Ban a nation from the color

Should exclude other senators.

This mechanic discourages older, larger nations and established alliances from sharing a color with new nations, small nations, and micros, which is a bad dynamic

But protectorates?  Also, ideally alliances should be a mix of tiers instead of a consolidation of any given tier.

I apologize that this was all criticism, but this is just my view of the flaws at first glance that I have seen.  I could have included some positive things too because those exist here too, but that would just be superfluous.

• Like 1

Nice idea, hope @Alexconsiders it 

On 8/24/2019 at 12:19 AM, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

Let’s copy the most annoying features from CN here, so with sheer numbers any hegemony focused group can prevent a nation from trading with others in the game; doing so pushing them out of the game is easy..

No thanks, senate powers are always abused so those less connected get sanctioned out of the game if they fight back against any bad alliance who’s become part of that hegemony.

The issue your going to find is the game lacks mechanical reason to declare any wars, the entire political meta is based off of the players and nothing else, and with that the issue is there is almost nothing other than this i believe could actually cause conflict. While feedback is always welcomed that was far from a worthwhile reply, your disagreement is it being cn? Its not like Fark even cares, they basically distance themself from ... well anything that could remotely cause conflict 

Edited by James T. Kirk
  • Like 1

0b3897cd640f95254329f7a2d45d8c77b1c120e.

Interesting idea. I do like the colour policies, and the senator mechanics since it adds more to the politics aspects of the game. Not sure about the costs for resource trading though. 

Looking forward to seeing if this can move beyond the drawing board, just please make sure you spell "colour" right. ',p 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cooper_ said:

I don't agree with this because it makes sale of cheap resources like food untenable.  Maybe if it was a percentage instead of a per unit tax such as 2% or some arbitrary percentage of value traded.

That would cause all sorts of undesired side effects. Imagine how much it would cost to transfer money by trading someone 1 food for millions of dollars, for instance.

It would also encourage gamey trading habits, like only transferring large sums of resources when market prices are low. That would screw up banking and trading during wars, when it's arguably most essential, and it would likely make trading in general happen cyclically. If it's cheaper to move resources when prices are lower (which indicates high willingness by resource owners to transfer them in the first place), it would likely create vicious and virtuous cycles in which trading leads to more trading, or a lack of trading self-perpetuates.

Because food production isn't as dependent on resource slots as the production of other resources is (you need land for food), because food is so cheap to begin with, and because it's less essential than other resources (your nation will still function without food, it'll just have reduced revenues) I didn't think it made sense to exempt it. If this becomes a balance issue, the best solution is probably to give food a lower per-unit transport cost than the other resources.

Also, maybe give grey a pass or a lower rate of like 0.1% or something, so traders can still do their thing effectively without significant impedance.

This would either be nearly meaningless or it would undermine the whole mechanic.

If the gray per-unit fee (see above for why percentage fees are a bad idea) >= half the normal per-unit fee, it would make little sense to trade using gray because it would cost more to get resources from one non-gray color to another by going through traders based on gray. Unless you're suggesting it's better that a huge proportion of active nations semi-permanently reside gray, I don't think this is desirable. (Not to mention the strange effects this would have on alliance taxes, thereby hurting high-tax alliances relative to low-tax alliances.)

If the gray per-unit fee < half the normal per-unit fee, then 2x the gray fee is the new effective inter-color transfer fee. It would make sense for traders and alliances to set up an entire offshore trading and banking infrastructure on gray to minimize bulk transfer/trading fees. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage this either. It's gamey and it would likely be somewhat confusing to new players.

I don't know if this is for the best because the first-strike advantage is also important for smaller groups of nations having a chance against larger groups just the same. Reducing the blitz-advantage isn't necessarily going to solve the problems with the meta right now. We'd need something much more dramatic in the restructuring of the war mechanics.

The first-strike advantage benefits more active groups, not necessarily smaller ones. Smaller groups are often more active than larger ones, true, but I've seen plenty of larger alliances or coalitions pull off effective blitzes.

I don't pretend this will fix every issue with the war system. I only hope that it will give players a little more incentive to become politically and military independent from one another. If it doesn't, I don't think the difference in MAPs between using the Fortress war policy or not will be too detrimental to the war balance.

Personally, I find a whole day to be a bit excessive, and this would severely detriment an underdog's ability to fight back if blanket blockaded.  I have a thought though it may be a bit complicated.  Maybe, a nation only receives 50% of the bank transfer instantaneously and there is a turn-window (2 hours) to reblockade, during which the blockading nation can steal the other 50%.  This allows for resources to get through, but also ups the stakes by threatening to give resources to the enemy.

1) This only affects inter-color trades. Since most blockaded nations are aided economically by their own alliances, not allies on other colors, it's likely that any aid they receive will be an intra-color transfer and arrive immediately.

2) Providing more ways for winning nations to loot losing nations is probably not the best idea. Destroying the resources instead of stealing them is likely better for balance.

3)  The basic idea isn't bad. It's very similar to the convoy policy in Section 4 of the proposal, so I think it could work if it turns out this is better-balanced than the version I proposed.

An even simpler solution is just keep locations as is and tie seasons to that.  Tie resources to your choice/credits and perhaps add specialization buffs for majority/plurality-produced resources per color bloc.

That would require location changes still be restricted because nations could move between hemispheres at will to always enjoy the summer food production bonuses.

I don't like how larger colors get more political power.  It should be relatively equal if not favored in smaller blocs otherwise everyone is going to group up in one or a few colors.  This also represents a significant bias against individual alliances without significant allies and smaller/new alliances.

They don't. Only the relative number of cities per alliance on each color matters, and that only determines rank. Rank is what actually gives each color political power. This means two things:

1) Alliances with few cities aren't an inherent liability. As long as most other colors have a similar number of micros, you're fine.

2) The amount of political power each color gets is partly determined in advance. The best color gets 20 political power per turn, and the five worst colors get 11. That's not a huge spread, especially when you consider that the other half of potential political power comes from the way nations vote, not which color they're on. The other benefit of this model is it encourages nations and alliances to spread out. It doesn't matter how much the #1 color beats the #2 color by in the rank formula; it will still only give them one extra political power per turn. Ditto for the #2 through #10 colors. It will probably make more sense for very large groups to populate multiple colors than to consolidate themselves on a single color.

Should exclude other senators.

You're right, not sure how I didn't think to add that. I've edited it in.

But protectorates?  Also, ideally alliances should be a mix of tiers instead of a consolidation of any given tier.

What about them? There isn't a way to force alliances to tier one way or another (most attempts to regulate how alliances work don't address the fact that players can change alliances unrestricted), but outright discouraging them from having low-score nations is silly, mechanically speaking.

Like I said above, only the relative number of cities per alliance matters. This means micros and protectorates aren't necessarily liabilities, and number of cities per alliance doesn't tell you anything about the number of nations per alliance or their average scores.

I apologize that this was all criticism, but this is just my view of the flaws at first glance that I have seen.  I could have included some positive things too because those exist here too, but that would just be superfluous.

No need to apologize. These were good points to discuss.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:48 PM, Edward I said:

Feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2 hours ago, James T. Kirk said:

The issue your going to find is the game lacks mechanical reason to declare any wars, the entire political meta is based off of the players and nothing else, and with that the issue is there is almost nothing other than this i believe could actually cause conflict. While feedback is always welcomed that was far from a worthwhile reply, your disagreement is it being cn? Its not like Fark even cares, they basically distance themself from ... well anything that could remotely cause conflict 

One of the larger issues with game mechanics as they exist is that they consist of very little besides economic growth and wars. We grow our nations to build warchests, and we spend our warchests to grow our nations and to fight wars that prevent other people from doing the same. Pretty much every past and present mechanic that nominally wasn't about war or economics effectively was: treasures and color stock bonuses, for example, both offer purely monetary benefits.

The other reason why the metagame is basically an endless cycle of economic growth interrupted by global wars is that there's no sense separation between nations. Without a mechanical representation of place, everything happens in the same place, which is everyone's backyard by default.

To fix this, we need mechanics that

a) offers something to fight over besides economic growth or military supremacy (which, again, are two sides of the same coin) and

b) gives players a degree of insulation from the effects of others' wars (the reason most wars turn global is because, right now, there isn't such insulation)

This proposal will not fix everything, and I'd be shocked if it even came close. But, since it mostly consists of incentives for players to create more drama rather than more heavy-handed solutions, I'm guessing it will offer a significant opportunity for a change in the metagame with little change to the game's existing balance.

2 hours ago, Sphinx said:

Interesting idea. I do like the colour policies, and the senator mechanics since it adds more to the politics aspects of the game. Not sure about the costs for resource trading though. 

It's deliberately presented in a modular format in case parts of it are good enough to implement and other parts aren't. If everyone likes Sections 1, 2 and 4 but not Section 3, that shouldn't stop Alex from implementing those sections.

Looking forward to seeing if this can move beyond the drawing board, just please make sure you spell "colour" right. ',p

When the Commonwealth wins a world war without getting bailed out by America, then you can tell us how to spell. :P

(Alex already spells "color" the American way, so it's a moot point.)

While I appreciate the amount of work you’ve put into this... you gotta be kidding. These would be insanely deep balance and gameplay changes, and the very idea of encouraging “consensus-building” is just plain stupid. Right now, yes, there is indeed no reason for politically motivated war other than the players.... Which are very obviously enough for war to happen on the regular as it is ?

Smaller actors are the ones that need to be encouraged, not hegemonies of 16 sub-alliances that can literally kick entire alliances out of every color in the game if and when they don’t play “consensus”.

Now, I’m not against the whole wall of text. The first bit about using colors as a form of geographic isolation is sensible and should be tested. I’m just saying the political stuff is horrifically unbalanced and encourages exactly the wrong things. 

2 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

While I appreciate the amount of work you’ve put into this... you gotta be kidding. These would be insanely deep balance and gameplay changes, and the very idea of encouraging “consensus-building” is just plain stupid. Right now, yes, there is indeed no reason for politically motivated war other than the players.... Which are very obviously enough for war to happen on the regular as it is ?

I don't claim it will make wars happen more regularly, or even that they'll be smaller. It's possible that would happen if this were implemented, but I have my doubts.

Instead, the aim of the proposal is to give players more to do during peace time and to give them more ways of creating their own drama.

The proposal would mainly encourage consensus-building within individual colors, and it gives little additional ability for groups to project power beyond their own colors. Since I don't think anyone believes there are even close to fourteen significant centers of political power right now, I don't see how this would engender much additional consensus-building.

Smaller actors are the ones that need to be encouraged, not hegemonies of 16 sub-alliances that can literally kick entire alliances out of every color in the game if and when they don’t play “consensus”.

I doubt it would facilitate true hegemonies. (I'm also not sure what you mean by "16 sub-alliances.")

A senate majority is a house of cards because even one hostile senator can destroy weeks or months of work towards accumulating political power on a color. The ability to unilaterally spend all of a color's political power effectively gives a single senator veto power over everything a majority of nations on any color might want to do.

Some numbers:

There are less than 3500 nations in the top 100 alliances, of which less than 3000 are in the top 50 alliances. That works out to about 215 - 250 politically-aligned nations per non-gray color, depending on where you draw the line.

Since there would be 3-7 senators per color, a group would need, on average, between 30 nations (~215/7) and 80 nations (~250/3) to elect a single senator. And that's almost certainly an overestimate, firstly because 3000 to 3500 overstates how many active nations there are in the top alliances, and secondly because several colors are likely to have more than 215-250 active nations. That means that several colors would have less than 215-250 active nations, which makes electing a senator on those colors even easier.

If you can't get a mid-sized alliance's worth of nations voting for a single candidate, then it's not a problem of being oppressed; it's a problem of making alliances (or groups of alliances) that are too small or disorganized to be effective in their own right.

Remember also that spending political power on banning people left and right will tend to put a color at a competitive disadvantage. Those nations could have generated political power if they'd been included in whatever majority controls the color in question, and banning them costs political power in the first place. That's political power that could otherwise be spent on economic or military policies.

Honestly, I'll take the time to read something that is organized and well thought out. Regardless of the 'CN' clone comments, this would add a workable dynamic that I don't really see anyone getting around just to reap a benefit.

Good work bro.

• Like 1

A very good idea. I think there should be a new national project called: "Tradezone" which slashes the trade fee down to 50% if such change should be implemented. 

EDIT: To add to the senate politics: It should be limited to one senate seat per alliance. Furthermore voting should only publish the result after the periode is over. Voting should be anonymous. That way, it isn't possible to dominate the senate that easily.

Edited by Kurnugia
  • Like 1

Opinions are my own.

unknown.png

1 hour ago, Kurnugia said:

A very good idea. I think there should be a new national project called: "Tradezone" which slashes the trade fee down to 50% if such change should be implemented. 

Not a bad idea. I'm not sold on it, personally, because it would make trading far easier for large nations than for small nations, but if this gets implemented feel free add that to the project suggestions thread.

1 hour ago, Kurnugia said:

EDIT: To add to the senate politics: It should be limited to one senate seat per alliance. Furthermore voting should only publish the result after the periode is over. Voting should be anonymous. That way, it isn't possible to dominate the senate that easily.

One senate seat per alliance probably won't work. It doesn't make sense, at least to me, why a mass-member alliance should be limited to the same number of senators as a micro. Regardless, it would be a very easy restriction to circumvent: large alliances could make one-man satellite alliances and place their preferred senate candidates on them in the same way they already use offshore banks to prevent bank looting.

The secret ballots law already covers anonymous voting - it's anonymous by default, although a simple majority of nations on a color can change that. Are you saying that the running vote tallies for each nation/senate candidate should be hidden as well?

On 9/5/2019 at 1:17 PM, Edward I said:

One senate seat per alliance probably won't work. It doesn't make sense, at least to me, why a mass-member alliance should be limited to the same number of senators as a micro. Regardless, it would be a very easy restriction to circumvent: large alliances could make one-man satellite alliances and place their preferred senate candidates on them in the same way they already use offshore banks to prevent bank looting.

The one senator per alliance rule makes a lot of sense to me. Why should A large alliance be able to outvote however many other alliances might be in that color bloc, take over the majority or possibly all of the senate seats and then impose their will over any other nations/alliances in that bloc? Having only one senator being able to be from each alliance gives other alliances chances to come together and vote in people who represent their best interests. It also forces each senator into more political action to get something done. You actually have to work with senators who may not align with your ideals totally, which creates a lot of intrigue and other interesting aspects of the political game. You don't get that if everyone in the senate is just another one of your butt-buddies with the same views and points you have.

As for the Satellite thing, that's a bold political move that could have ramifications for your color block if you get caught doing it. Have the ability for Alliances in the color bloc to impose sanctions, levy a recount, and other political moves against the nation who committed said act. It also creates a rock solid CB for any Alliance in that bloc to rise up. Or make it a rule that newer alliances can't put a candidate up for election or you have to have a certain amount of members before you can put up a candidate. or both. If you see a larger alliance starting to build up smaller micros to meet the requirements, then you might have to work with other color blocs to see if an invasion is possible to sway the vote away from such tactics.

I, for one, welcome new Political side mechanics that allow for more interactions on the IC side. But I also don't want it to be easy as shit for a large - massive sized alliance to impose their will on everyone in their color bloc without being able to fight it.

Bottom_Border Siggy.png

5 hours ago, Pasky Darkfire said:

The one senator per alliance rule makes a lot of sense to me. Why should A large alliance be able to outvote however many other alliances might be in that color bloc, take over the majority or possibly all of the senate seats and then impose their will over any other nations/alliances in that bloc? Having only one senator being able to be from each alliance gives other alliances chances to come together and vote in people who represent their best interests. It also forces each senator into more political action to get something done. You actually have to work with senators who may not align with your ideals totally, which creates a lot of intrigue and other interesting aspects of the political game. You don't get that if everyone in the senate is just another one of your butt-buddies with the same views and points you have.

As for the Satellite thing, that's a bold political move that could have ramifications for your color block if you get caught doing it. Have the ability for Alliances in the color bloc to impose sanctions, levy a recount, and other political moves against the nation who committed said act. It also creates a rock solid CB for any Alliance in that bloc to rise up. Or make it a rule that newer alliances can't put a candidate up for election or you have to have a certain amount of members before you can put up a candidate. or both. If you see a larger alliance starting to build up smaller micros to meet the requirements, then you might have to work with other color blocs to see if an invasion is possible to sway the vote away from such tactics.

Are you suggesting a rule change here or a metagame norm? If people want to make it taboo for alliances to elect more than one of their members to a color senate, I think that would be a great source of controversy and an interesting addition to the metagame.

If you're suggesting that the game rules or the moderation team impose limits on players forming alliances, it won't work. There isn't a good standard for what constitutes a "legitimate" or "independent" alliance affiliation, and any attempt to impose such a standard would be messy and untenable. This is the same reason why hiding a bank in a nation in VM is illegal, but offshore banks are completely legal.

5 hours ago, Pasky Darkfire said:

I, for one, welcome new Political side mechanics that allow for more interactions on the IC side. But I also don't want it to be easy as shit for a large - massive sized alliance to impose their will on everyone in their color bloc without being able to fight it.

I'm glad to hear you like the basic premise. ?

I've explained why this likely wouldn't be the case in prior posts in this thread. Any alliance or group of alliances that doesn't lock down a color could have all of its gains wiped out almost instantaneously if an unfriendly senator gets elected. That alone is a powerful disincentive against wanton domination.

The necessary votes for locking down a color are substantial (between 3/4 and 7/8 of active, voting nations, depending on the number of senate seats); the costs in political power for enforcing a small or controversial majority's control would likely be quite high; there are more colors than there are coherent political groups (out-groups have options); and it will typically be more profitable, in terms of political power, for an out-group to simply move to a new color rather than fighting for control of one in which it is being marginalized or oppressed. It would be very difficult to deprive even a modestly-sized group of nations of color-based power.