Get up and do stuff (@mods pl delete if inappropriate)

Caspian XII

COULDN'T FIND A MORE SUITABLE SECTION.

Some people might think that this is attention-seeking and not PnW related but I disagree as no one would be left to play PnW if we all died. For over two weeks now the Amazon Rainforest, the world's largest rainforest— responsible for over 20% of the Oxygen we breathe— has been on fire with little to no media coverage. It has been determined that the intensity of the fires and the speed at which it's spreading is the result of human actions. 
 Our politicians have been playing their little games of thrones and ignoring the stark reality of the harm we're causing our planet. Humanity has never faced a greater threat than the one it's faced with now. We're at a crossroads facing two separate paths: one is the path to destruction due to our own greed, selfishness and idiocy, and the other is the path to healing this our literally damaged world. 
Every day hundreds tonnes of ice  melt in the Arctic and Antarctic due to rising global temperatures as a result of human actions. 
Every year our actions drive to extinction so many species, causing a major ecological problem. 
 It's time we addressed these deep concerns. I know many of us are just children and we feel powerless, but it need not be that way. We can call on our communities, our governments, our countries to join hands and alleviate this great wrong we've done to our Mother Earth. 
I'm home in Liberia for a couple of months, but I plan to make the most of it, organizing like-minded people to join this campaign to fix our planet before it becomes too late. You could do the same in your own countries. Remember, it takes only a spark to burn down an entire building. We could be that spark.
Pls google ways in which you can help to make the world a cleaner and greener place.

IMG_20190822_211126_794.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Sadly your efforts won’t matter unless if you’re rich. Even if you are, odds are it still won’t matter. It seems like the snowball has already started rolling, only thing left is damage control.

Excessiveness will be our downfall.

hfzkFUp.gif

People who act like we can go back and fix what is happening are adorable. if you think a majority of the climate change isn't natural and part of a cycle happening and think humans are the major cause. you're very very unaware of what's really going on. humans account for about 2.7 to 3.5% of the current climate change. the earth has been warming hundreds of years prior to the industrial revolution or any measurable amount produced by us.

• Downvote 11

13 minutes ago, DoSy said:

People who act like we can go back and fix what is happening are adorable. if you think a majority of the climate change isn't natural and part of a cycle happening and think humans are the major cause. you're very very unaware of what's really going on. humans account for about 2.7 to 3.5% of the current climate change. the earth has been warming hundreds of years prior to the industrial revolution or any measurable amount produced by us.

Yes because the billions of tons of carbon dioxide gas we add to the atmosphere every year is totally negligible towards global warming. 

[Wrong subforum but easily fixed I imagine]

Gonna make a serious post for a change as this is a genuinely serious topic.

Human-induced climate change is certainly one of the greatest issues of this current time but is still struggling to see any major global change for the positive, and that is largely the result of the shortsightedness of politicians and the financial interests of those with money.

The more we as a populace come together to call for change, the better the inevitable outcome. Inaction will be destruction of many systems, ecosystems and nations to come.

Here's a few links (of the ones I can recall off the top of my head) for anyone to peruse - please strongly consider enacting change in your life/style and your local area. You don't necessarily need a lot of time and money, and you don't necessarily have to physically go out on a protest march. You just need a willingness to do something.

Extinction Rebellion: https://rebellion.earth - topical one at the moment based around peaceful protest and some civil disobedience.

Earth Strike: https://www.earth-strike.com - perhaps one of the more radical movements but a good motive.

Ecological Footprint Calculator: http://www.footprintcalculator.org - Not a movement but an interesting visual for those who want to get a rough idea as to how their lifestyle has an impact on the planet, as well as suggesting options to change elements of your lifestyle.

School Climate strikes/protests: https://www.fridaysforfuture.org/about (general site) - really wish this one had existed when I was at school, but regardless a very important movement. I strongly recommend people of school age take a look at this movement and see what they can do. The younger you are the more climate change will have an impact on your future.

https://ukscn.org/ys4c (UK specific)

https://www.youthclimatestrikeus.org (US specific)

https://www.schoolstrike4climate.com (Australia specific) 

23 minutes ago, DoSy said:

if you think a majority of the climate change isn't natural and part of a cycle happening and think humans are the major cause. you're very very unaware of what's really going on. humans account for about 2.7 to 3.5% of the current climate change. the earth has been warming hundreds of years prior to the industrial revolution or any measurable amount produced by us.

Would be interested to know the source for those specific stats, but the majority of what you said is incredibly disingenuous - yes global temperatures have been rising for millennia now but a) that's a relative term - rebound of global climate from previous ice-age and b) has rapidly increased since the industrial revolution, in-line with increased greenhouse gas emissions.

For the record, anyone still skeptical or unsure on current scientific research and data on (anthropogenic) climate change, I'd be happy to amalgamate some links to information based in peer reviewed study for you. Whilst I no longer have much access to scientific journals, my academic background included study of climate/climate research (as well as prehistoric climates) so I am to a minor extent 'qualified', or at least fairly well versed on the subject, heh.

Edited by James XVI
  • Upvote 2

THE Definitive James:

KastorCultist, Co-leading Roz Wei Empyrea The Wei, former TGH warrior, Assassin, and a few more. Player of this game for more time than I want to think about...

infernalsig.png.492fbaaf465234c6d9cf76f12f038d04.png

I'm not willing to have a long indepth conversation with multiple people at once on forums. if you want to have a civil indepth conversation we can through discord either through text or voice chat.

Edited by DoSy
  • Downvote 5

forest-gain-loss-animation.gif
europeGrassModel.gif
India_poo_in_loo.png
Point is, there's nothing we in the civilized world are doing wrong (except Australia and Canada,) and there's nothing much we can do except pressure other countries.

Like the Paris Accord, a forest conservation agreement among the Western powers would do nothing as most of the people reading this are not part of the countries that are the problem. Of the ten most polluted rivers that feed the ocean 8 are in Africa and 2 are in Asia, and Africa and South America are the greatest defoliators by continent.

And even if we were to pressure the wrong doers, (In either the matter of pollution or deforestation,) you know a certain group of regressive luddites would come barking and probably demand something inane like we accept more migrants from the backwards countries and attempt and fail to reeducate them instead of actually doing something that's productive.

Want another example of the insanity of the same regressive luddites I refer to within the context of environmentalism? Take the recent plastic straws fiasco. Plastic straws make up practically zero of the plastic waste in the ocean, and yet there was a move to replace them with paper straws on the grounds that paper straws would be better for the environment and help eliminate plastic waste. But you know what? Paper straws are more damaging to the environment as they're less recyclable and take more materials and power to produce!

I'm here today to say, I love the environment, but screw alarmism and finger pointing at the wrong people!

• Like 1

Love you

9 hours ago, Malleator said:

Point is, there's nothing we in the civilized world are doing wrong (except Australia and Canada,) and there's nothing much we can do except pressure other countries.

Like the Paris Accord, a forest conservation agreement among the Western powers would do nothing as most of the people reading this are not part of the countries that are the problem. Of the ten most polluted rivers that feed the ocean 8 are in Africa and 2 are in Asia, and Africa and South America are the greatest defoliators by continent.

I'm here today to say, I love the environment, but screw alarmism and finger pointing at the wrong people!

It isn't quite so clear cut as this - to say that developed nations are essentially innocent in regards to climate damage and deforestation is somewhat avoiding reality. Reforestation, especially in Europe is certainly a plus, though it should be noted that for some countries this reforestation is due to an increased demand for timber (as such some of this is frequently felled and replanted - not a particular issue in its own right but does result in a tendency towards lower biodiversity, which is uncharacteristic of traditional European forests). European reforestation has also come at the expense of farmland, which has decreased thanks to increased efficiency (not a bad thing) as well as outsourcing of agriculture to other countries (more of a concern). 

Deforestation generally happens because of a demand for resources (farm land, wood products, natural resources, etc.) and is happening in developing places that are fulfilling global demand in order to earn money. Unfortunately its frequently happening in old, well established rainforest which is a particular source of carbon sequestration as well as very high biodiversity (not just important for 'all those cute animals' but for scientific research too).

And even if we were to pressure the wrong doers, (In either the matter of pollution or deforestation,) you know a certain group of regressive luddites would come barking and probably demand something inane like we accept more migrants from the backwards countries and attempt and fail to reeducate them instead of actually doing something that's productive.

Like it or not, generally more developed countries will see a greater influx of legal, or illegal migrants as a result of climate change thanks to desertification, sea level rise and water shortages. If anything, it is in the best interests of those who want to see immigration minimised to support movements to limit carbon emissions (and deforestation) globally - I'm certain it is a much longer lasting fix than letting things continue as they are and/or using force to dispel people from your borders. Much easier eventually, and in the long run probably cheaper too I'd bet.

Want another example of the insanity of the same regressive luddites I refer to within the context of environmentalism? Take the recent plastic straws fiasco. Plastic straws make up practically zero of the plastic waste in the ocean, and yet there was a move to replace them with paper straws on the grounds that paper straws would be better for the environment and help eliminate plastic waste. But you know what? Paper straws are more damaging to the environment as they're less recyclable and take more materials and power to produce!

The solution isn't to revert back to plastic, its to reduce the 'need' for its perceived convenience. Simple fact is that be it paper or plastic, plenty of stuff like that is no more than a waste on resources.

THE Definitive James:

KastorCultist, Co-leading Roz Wei Empyrea The Wei, former TGH warrior, Assassin, and a few more. Player of this game for more time than I want to think about...

infernalsig.png.492fbaaf465234c6d9cf76f12f038d04.png