Really NPO

Wendell

Just now, Sir Scarfalot said:

That doesn't answer me in the slightest. Right here, I'm not debating specifics or generalities or anything about your alliance policies; I'm calling you out for ordering all of your hundreds of new players to avoid interacting with me, and apparently specifically me. Why is that? I don't treat new people like trash. I don't circlejerk on the main discord... at all... in fact I've written barely anything there at all in the last few months.

I'm saying, if you had faith in your own position you wouldn't be so scared of the evil poisonous power of a dissenting platform. But you are scared, you specifically call me out as the "exact reason" why you've ordered these new players to shun the community at large. So tell me, why exactly is it that they should be ordered to avoid me? Am I right? Or is there another reason?

It's not specifically you I said like you. There are plenty of people who mainly trash talk on there. It has a serious issue with it. You just happened to post so I said it off the top of my head.

A lot of people actually will try to poison the well early on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roquentin said:

It's not specifically you I said like you. There are plenty of people who mainly trash talk on there. It has a serious issue with it. You just happened to post so I said it off the top of my head.

A lot of people actually will try to poison the well early on.

Again, you're not answering my question; is your narrative truly so weak as to not be able to withstand even a single competing philosophy? I don't trash talk new players, I'm nothing but helpful and polite to them when they talk to me, so saying that people like that are the problem makes me rather annoyed.

Now, sure, there's people that are quite rude and awful to new players. (Many of them are on your side.) I don't deny that there are indeed people that new players should avoid. But to say that I'm one of them... I'm gonna call you out on that, you'd better believe it.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot

Again, you're not answering my question; is your narrative truly so weak as to not be able to withstand even a single competing philosophy?

I don't need to actively tell people to get inundated with it or other trolling. Simple. It's not weak but it's one tv channel and almost everything else on is against it. It's not like an opposing view points website where it's equal representation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roquentin said:

I don't need to actively tell people to get inundated with it or other trolling. Simple. It's not weak but it's one tv channel and almost everything else on is against it. It's not like an opposing view points website where it's equal representation.

You're actively telling new people that your narrative is the only thing they should be listening to, and call out me specifically as someone that new people should not listen to. That's characteristic of an extremely weak position, where you deny exposure to any narrative but your own? The only reason for such an order is if you fear they'll see that my arguments actually have merit. So, sure, call me out for "circlejerking" while you're the one ordering new players to stay in their strict box and to only interact with your circle. Way to give them an equal representation of the game's community, lmao

Edited by Sir Scarfalot

I haven't really given any narrative as most are just experimenting with it and aren't really involved to the extent where I'd have to explain the differences as it wasn't a planned invasion. It's just a group of people with a common interest not related to the game and someone wanted them to try it out.  It's more just to avoid negativity while they're starting it up. Pretty much the only thing said so far in that regard is if you pop out of beige too early and you got tonked, it's not a huge deal since getting beat up is usually a "give up instantly" thing for a lot of people. I'm sure if they continue playing they'd eventually look at stuff on the server.

Edited by Roquentin
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Curufinwe
1 minute ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

You're actively telling new people that your narrative is the only thing they should be listening to, and call out me specifically as someone that new people should not listen to. That's characteristic of an extremely weak position, where you deny exposure to any narrative but your own? The only reason for such an order is if you fear they'll see that my arguments actually have merit. So, sure, call me out for "circlejerking" while you're the one ordering new players to stay in their strict box and not to interact with the community. Way to give them an equal representation of the game, lmao!

You're right, your ideas are totally always valid and should be definitely debated on their merits.  

Exhibit A:

Truly, everyone should heed the words of Scarfalot, PW's Great Emancipator.

8 minutes ago, Roquentin said:

I haven't really given any narrative

"Don't look at the advertisements, and don't join any other discord servers or talk to Scarf because they're toxic"

"Haven't really given any narrative"

I think we're done here.

1 hour ago, Dio Brando said:

\Part of it is just the nature of the beast when dealing with big servers, but the rest is a lack of desire or ability to make the environment less toxic in terms of less blatant offenses. 

If someone is breaking rules highlight the mods, there's only a handful and they can't be expected to monitor the chat 24/7. Honestly, it's way more moderated now than the irc server ever was.

• Like 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

18 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

"Don't look at the advertisements, and don't join any other discord servers or talk to Scarf because they're toxic"

"Haven't really given any narrative"

I think we're done here.

Yeah and also stay off PNW forums and other public places till they are organised and willing too. That wasn’t a message by Roq btw it was by their community organiser after a couple of people joined the PnW public server earlier on and were trolled/put on the spot. If you’re going to try to build a narrative at least try to have all the facts on the ground before running with it.

17 minutes ago, Epi said:

300/30,000 people join the game in 24hours. Any questions and attempts at contact are bullying and intrusive. Good to know.

If their servers are off limits, it’s decent to respect that. You don’t need to go around hunting down all the places they hang out and intrude on their privacy, especially servers that have no bearing to you or the game. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

What really makes me upset here is that New Pacific Order wants to keep these new players away from the community. The best part of PW is not the game (which broke down again tonight by the way) but the community in my opinion. I realize that there are some people who would find it hilarious to troll new players, but they seem to be few and far between and tbh I would expect people to recognize a trolling attempt when they see it. Stop keeping your members cloistered up and let them experience the community, it's for their own good. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

unknown_3_1_65.png

3 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

So, after running out of natives to betray/lie to/gaslight, you decide to attempt to flood the game with ignorant newbies in the hopes of getting more people for cannonfodder.

What do you even hope to achieve from this? They'll have no fun being your pawns, and you'll gain nothing you don't already have. You're still losing, and even a million nations won't change that.

Shouldn't you be happy that the game is receiving new players? This will benefit the entire community if people stay inviting their friends from other games. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Khai Jäger said:

Shouldn't you be happy that the game is receiving new players? This will benefit the entire community if people stay inviting their friends from other games.

If the game was receiving new players for the benefit of the community, then they'd be encouraging the new players to participate in the community. But that's explicitly not what's happening here; they're being deliberately kept away from the community, lest they find somewhere other than NPO to be to their liking.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

If the game was receiving new players for the benefit of the community, then they'd be encouraging the new players to participate in the community. But that's explicitly not what's happening here; they're being deliberately kept away from the community, lest they find somewhere other than NPO to be to their liking. 

It's that community's decision how to conduct itself, not yours and not "the game's". Furthermore, they made that decision themselves, as Keshav already said. They don't owe anything to you or anyone else outside their community and if you really had their best interest in mind, you'd stop trying to spin this into anti-NPO propaganda.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Edward I said:

It's that community's decision how to conduct itself, not yours and not "the game's". Furthermore, they made that decision themselves, as Keshav already said. They don't owe anything to you or anyone else outside their community and if you really had their best interest in mind, you'd stop trying to spin this into anti-NPO propaganda.

It's NPO that invited them, it's Frawley and Auctor alone in their gov lineup. If you really had their best interests in mind, you wouldn't be pressuring them away from interacting with the community.

It's NPO that invited them, it's Frawley and Auctor alone in their gov lineup. If you really had their best interests in mind, you wouldn't be pressuring them away from interacting with the community. 

It's not NPO that invited them, the community chose to come here. They're also just as much members of "the community" as you are, and you have no right to tell them how to be a part of it; that's their decision.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Edward I said:

It's not NPO that invited them, the community chose to come here. They're also just as much members of "the community" as you are, and you have no right to tell them how to be a part of it; that's their decision.

And you have the right to tell them that our community is toxic and should not be interacted with at all outside of Pacifica? I am the one pointing out that they DO have the right to interact with our community; you're the one telling them that they don't have the right to do so. You're the one restricting their rights and decisions, not me.

5 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

We aren’t pressuring them to anything. They decided after their wonderful welcome on PnWs discord to stay away. That was their call. That quoted image isn’t by Roq or NPO gov.

They can decide for themselves how to conduct themselves and you’re best placed to not force your opinions onto those who haven’t consented to listen to it at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

And you have the right to tell them that our community is toxic and should not be interacted with at all outside of Pacifica? I am the one pointing out that they DO have the right to interact with our community; you're the one telling them that they don't have the right to do so. You're the one restricting their rights and decisions, not me.

Please read the posts we make in reply to yours. They chose not to interact much with the wider PW community. They have a right to make that choice. Nowhere did I or anyone else say they didn't.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Madden8021 said:

Just wait till the war is over then NPO gov will disband their little mini alliance to join the main or just say, "Okay, job is done, you may leave now" Or at least something to further drive the new people away.

Sorry I didnt understand this. 

Why would NPO say "Okay job is done you may leave now? "

• Like 1
  • "We ruin the countries we govern and the people in our care. We slaughter our enemies and sacrifice all our allies. We’ll keep killing till there’s nothing left but to destroy ourselves. It will never be enough"
  • "You'll never win"

3 hours ago, Malal said:

If someone is breaking rules highlight the mods, there's only a handful and they can't be expected to monitor the chat 24/7. Honestly, it's way more moderated now than the irc server ever was.

Yeah. If you've got an issue with something in the PW discord, ping us. Or if you feel uncomfortable reporting in public, we're all fine receiving DMs about mod stuff. Most of our pings are people asking about automod or getting VIP masks. If you're uncomfortable with us as moderators/rules/enforcement and don't want to bring it up with us, @Alex is always your next port of call.

--

On topic:

The new alliance makes 0 difference to the outcome of the war, we've won either way, we're all fighting for fun now, and hopefully will continue to do so for a while yet.

Edited by Flanderlion
Added on topic part.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Edward I said:

Please read the posts we make in reply to yours. They chose not to interact much with the wider PW community. They have a right to make that choice. Nowhere did I or anyone else say they didn't.

You're the ones presenting them with the narrative that "Scarf man toxic", though. Roq made that choice, according to his own post right above yours. If they have the right to choose but no right to any information but your own narrative, then you're not actually giving them a choice, you're trying to control them.

Ideally, new players would be welcomed by the entire community and we'd all help them learn the mechanics and politics so as to enable them to make their own informed decisions, even the decision to join our enemies, but you're the ones pushing a narrative of a toxic scarfy environment so as to keep them all neatly in your camp. Bringing in new players should not be partisan like this, and I'm disappointed (but not at all surprised) that you're deliberately making it that way.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot