The Return Of The D

durmij

De-essing (also desibilizing) is any technique intended to reduce or eliminate the excessive prominence of sibilant consonants, such as the sounds normally represented in English by "s", "z", "ch", "j" and "sh", in recordings of the human voice.[1] Sibilance lies in frequencies anywhere between 2–10 kHz, depending on the individual voice.

I hope you used a plugin for that :P. Other than editing and some small modulation, theres techniques you should be using with audio that make the audio better, de-essing, compression, saturation etc.

Edited by what is property?

Throw me to the wolves and I’ll return leading the pack.

8 minutes ago, what is property? said:

De-essing (also desibilizing) is any technique intended to reduce or eliminate the excessive prominence of sibilant consonants, such as the sounds normally represented in English by "s", "z", "ch", "j" and "sh", in recordings of the human voice.[1] Sibilance lies in frequencies anywhere between 2–10 kHz, depending on the individual voice.

I hope you used a plugin for that :P. Other than editing and some small modulation, theres techniques you should be using with audio that make the audio better, de-essing, compression, saturation etc.

I'll definitely look into it. I'm not ruling out that I was doing manually what could have been automated.

its all good, no way of knowing it if you're not familiar with the subject.

free crash course for a simple approach to having a good end recording:

Original signal: this is the most important part. If you can have your guest adjust the microphone and do it in a room with as little weird reflections as possible that would be great. Constantly speaking into the mic as opposed to moving your face away from it helps as well.

Every situation/recording is different but as a rule of thumb your signal chain should look something like:

EQ: Roll down the bottom end under something like 150hz. That means applying a low shelve that brings down everything under 150hz by something like -12db , can probably do away with everything under 50hz completely since its mostly ambiental stuff in your recording that you dont use and it !@#$ with your other processes and also muddies the sound.

De-essing your vocals but not to a level it where it sounds weird.

Compression helps maintain the same level across the recording, bringing up the more silent parts and stopping any peaks or weird artifacts.

You can use any freeware vsts off of google since you're using basic functions and most software is the same in that regard.

There are of course levels to this, but use your ears and have fun.

Edited by what is property?
  • Like 1

Throw me to the wolves and I’ll return leading the pack.

8 hours ago, durmij said:

• Turned Tables (The interviewee gets to go after me for a bit on ingame stuff, then gets to ask a personal question that I will answer if it isn't too identifying)

Where do I sign.

• Like 2

XLL3z4T.gif

1 hour ago, what is property? said:

its all good, no way of knowing it if you're not familiar with the subject.

free crash course for a simple approach to having a good end recording:

Original signal: this is the most important part. If you can have your guest adjust the microphone and do it in a room with as little weird reflections as possible that would be great. Constantly speaking into the mic as opposed to moving your face away from it helps as well.

Every situation/recording is different but as a rule of thumb your signal chain should look something like:

EQ: Roll down the bottom end under something like 150hz. That means applying a low shelve that brings down everything under 150hz by something like -12db , can probably do away with everything under 50hz completely since its mostly ambiental stuff in your recording that you dont use and it !@#$ with your other processes and also muddies the sound.

De-essing your vocals but not to a level it where it sounds weird.

Compression helps maintain the same level across the recording, bringing up the more silent parts and stopping any peaks or weird artifacts.

You can use any freeware vsts off of google since you're using basic functions and most software is the same in that regard.

There are of course levels to this, but use your ears and have fun.

Thanks, I got a friend who does audio tech to show me the basics, but the only thing I really retained is that a minute of work pre recording saves you an hour in post. You brought up a lot of stuff he did and I appreciate the reminder.

19 hours ago, Ripper said:

Is this some trick of the ruling class to control the mass media and means of entertainment?

It is actually. Read The Prison Notebooks.

tenor.gif

Edited by Roquentin