On the subject of population

Stadius

Hello everyone (or at least to people who scroll the forums), there has been an element of this game that I feel has been long neglected.

Population.

Before you start rifting through your keypad, or click that back button, hear me out.

There ought to be a means of tracking a nations population loss through war, and more importantly, have that population loss actually have an effect on the nation other than reduced income. 

For example, on the espionage menu, there’s an option to terrorize citizens, but that really doesn’t do much. I have -2.5k approval rating, and that doesn’t do anything to me.

Population losses would ensure that people try and sanctify their citizens, and ensure that its not just a number that one disregards. 

Here are some propositions:

A) Have population loss be part of war report, and nation view (much like casualties of soldiers and loss of planes etc)

b) Pop. Loss as a factor of resistance

The more folks you lose, the faster your resistance goes down. There are two ways of executing this. First is to add population loss as a buffer to resistance loss, or alternatively, you could use population loss to consistently lower resistance.

Ex: Process 1) Your city is air striked, you lose 12 resistance, but because you’ve already lost half a million pop., that means 18 resistance is lost instead. 

Or

Process 2) You’ve already lost 50k pop, hence, you lose 5-10 resistance / turn.

C) Add options to target civilians to lower resistance

Is it unethical? Yes

Is it a war crime? No, we don’t have crimes in war because we don’t have laws in war.

Ex: Airstrike dense population zones, nukes, have ground troops raid city centers,  have ships 

D) (Disclaimer: this ones a bit of a stretch, but it’s been an itch) Have the ability to form militias out of pop. Not necessarily Soviet style conscription, but when you’re being rolled by two alliances with barely a margin over you, there should be a means to fight back.

In order to reduce the abusive nature of this one, it should only be available in times of war, and when resistance is below a certain number (45).

Feel free to share your input on this! 

Edited by Stadius
  • Upvote 1

Airstrikes are already too powerful. Making them more powerful will just make people want to buy them more without actually having a certain strategy to fight properly and win meaningfully. Population already suffers and usually they are unarmed. Making them armed throws in so many unnecessary variables to war it just becomes to complex.

• Downvote 1

On 7/26/2019 at 3:48 PM, Stadius said:

Before you start rifting through your keypad, or click that back button, hear me out.

No. :P

On 7/26/2019 at 3:48 PM, Stadius said:

D) (Disclaimer: this ones a bit of a stretch, but it’s been an itch) Have the ability to form militias out of pop. Not necessarily Soviet style conscription, but when you’re being rolled by two alliances with barely a margin over you, there should be a means to fight back.

I wouldn't call it a stretch, especially since it's happened before IRL many times. PaW already sort of has this, though. A percent of your pop will act as defending soldiers in ground battles. If you attack someone who has no ground forces, you'll still lose a few troops.

• Upvote 2

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Advanced issues found

8 hours ago, WISD0MTREE said:

I wouldn't call it a stretch, especially since it's happened before IRL many times. PaW already sort of has this, though. A percent of your pop will act as defending soldiers in ground battles. If you attack someone who has no ground forces, you'll still lose a few troops.

I did have that happen to me, tried to lowball someone by attacking with 100 troops lol

I just think its not enough, like you could form a sub-or alternative group of troops (militias???), drafting purely out of pop, instead of passive defense.