This is a brave new world we're living in

alyster

5 hours ago, Aragorn, son of Arathorn said:

I only care if they won, which they did, just like us.

I'm going to add this to the list of comically hegemonic things Leo has said in the last week. It will look great right next to "better not lose this war if you don't want to be targeted". 

• Upvote 1

C0r3Fye.png

Guest Curufinwe
56 minutes ago, Miller said:

Who is "us"? Certainly not BK. You lost bud. Remember? You were hiding in your hole? Not saying anything. 

You realize the war is still ongoing, right?  Cuz your use of the past tense suggests you're confused on the matter.  If so, that would explain a lot actually...

17 minutes ago, CandyShi said:

I'm saying that they "won" but they didn't "win" anything from the war (they got all the territory, but that wasn't part of the agreement with the war, that was just Stalin being a smart boi). 

They got it because they had the single strongest army on the planet, their combined arms doctrine was leagues ahead of the allies due to fighting longer and harder against the Nazi's. The allies had no desire or ability to force their will upon Stalin. I also don't think breaking agreements is "smart" and the fact that you think it is says a ton about how awful your politics are imho.

A superpower and a great power are two different things. Emerging powers are, by definition, not superpowers. Portugal colonized Brazil and fought for territory in Africa, they were never considered a superpower. Spain was already considered a fallen power by the time the USA fought them, just another mark in the long troubled history of the failed kingdom of spain. 

Rome's superpower status was not 96-5whatever you wrote lmfao, their status as a superpower is essentially from is from 142BC, when they destroyed the last remnants of Carthage and finally brought Greece under their control, and somewhere in the 200's AD. The Crisis of the Third Century nearly killed them and that combined with back to back plagues marked the end of unchallenged roman hegemony of the western world. Yes Diocletian and Constantine would come later but the stabilizing reforms would be temporary and the western half of the empire would ultimately be lost while the eastern half suffered calamity after calamity, only having several brief resurgences in power no longer than a century here and there. I do think without the Black Death there was a decent chance for Justinian and subsequent emperors to reconquer the Mediterranean but they never did and the Roman empire couldn't even hold onto their namesake city after the 8th Century.

Edited by Malal
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

16 minutes ago, Dio Brando said:

To be honest, it's a bit disappointing to see one's reply to someone drawing a comparison between them and the Soviet Union be: "they won, though".

Meh.

Pretty much all they accomplished was winning WW2, the Nazi’s decided they’d rather lose hitting him than help him become a super power. Reason Stalin ended up on the side they were on at end was Hitler hated him more than his enemies in Europe.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Aragorn, son of Arathorn said:

I only care if they won, which they did, just like us.

That is just wrong on so many levels...

inb4 IQ starts boasting about the plane gap

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CandyShi said:

I'm saying that they "won" but they didn't "win" anything from the war (they got all the territory, but that wasn't part of the agreement with the war other than eastern poland, that was just Stalin being a smart boi). 

(They still became a superpower after they got all the land though)

Again go read your history. The soviets won the allies WW2.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Tiberius said:

Again go read your history. The soviets won the allies WW2.

The only reason the Soviets won is because they were bailed out by the allies, which in PW terms would be if BK was winning because they were bailed out by NPO and their meatshields.

5 minutes ago, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

Pretty much all they accomplished was winning WW2, the Nazi’s decided they’d rather lose hitting him than help him become a super power. Reason Stalin ended up on the side they were on at end was Hitler hated him more than his enemies in Europe.

I'm fairly sure Hitler did not just struck out of blind hatred for Stalin (although he did absolutely despise the commies). Expanding east was a component of his manifest (the concept of "lebensraum" enveloping the subjugation of the slavs, resettlement (colonization)of his aryan race toward the east and the establishment of a large "granary" area capable of feeding an industrialized europe. Not to mention ofcourse oil etc.- 

• Upvote 3

os9LcJK.gif

1 minute ago, Prefonteen said:

I'm fairly sure Hitler did not just struck out of blind hatred for Stalin (although he did absolutely despise the commies). Expanding east was a component of his manifest (the concept of "lebensraum" enveloping the subjugation of the slavs, resettlement (colonization)of his aryan race toward the east and the establishment of a large "granary" area capable of feeding an industrialized europe. Not to mention ofcourse oil etc.- 

I do think his deep dislike of Stalin did play into, he considered Stalin a savage pretty much & hated the association.

17 minutes ago, Malal said:

They got it because they had the single strongest army on the planet, their combined arms doctrine was leagues ahead of the allies due to fighting longer and harder against the Nazi's.

Let's not discount the Nazis terrible resource management, intelligence service, production regime and partisan problem.

Attacking the USSR was necessary to get to the Caucasus region and secure the oil production there. A soon as the advanced stopped, the war was over. It was just a matter of time after that.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Smith said:

I'm going to add this to the list of comically hegemonic things Leo has said in the last week. It will look great right next to "better not lose this war if you don't want to be targeted". 

Here's a freebie:

"I relish in ruining browser based nation games. I cannot wait to have hegemonic control so that I can slowly squeeze the life out of this game and all those who oppose me."

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Curufinwe said:

You realize the war is still ongoing, right?  Cuz your use of the past tense suggests you're confused on the matter.  If so, that would explain a lot actually...

Plot twist. Miller is a time traveler.

• Upvote 2

Bottom_Border Siggy.png

1 minute ago, Aragorn, son of Arathorn said:

Obviously not a good one if he went to the future and still joined TKR. 

I mean. If I was a time traveler, I think what AA I was in in some browser game would be the least of my concerns.

Bottom_Border Siggy.png

8 minutes ago, Aragorn, son of Arathorn said:

Here's a freebie:

"I relish in ruining browser based nation games. I cannot wait to have hegemonic control so that I can slowly squeeze the life out of this game and all those who oppose me."

Is that a quote from “ or you make that up now? :P

8 minutes ago, Smith said:

It can be hard to tell the difference huh ?

Near the end of CN, can think of many who were leaders of hegemonic alliances with killing the game before they quit as a goal. So wouldn’t surprise me if a quote from someone.

13 minutes ago, CandyShi said:

uh.... no? The USSR would only be the strongest army if we're measuring how many soldiers they had before the war, and not their technology/actual usefulness in combat. 

The USSR's entire strategy was quite literally built around throwing bodies at people until they ran out of ammunition/froze to death.

As much as I'm loathe to defend the USSR, this is untrue and the result of years of post war nazi propaganda playing on the western few versus eastern horde trope that's been present in popular culture forever (hello Tolkien). By 1942 it was the nazis throwing men into hopeless scenarios to freeze to death. 

USSR technology was on par with their neighbours during the war and the USSR wouldn't start to fall behind technologically until much later. The T34 was not as "good" of a tank if you do nothing but read the numbers off of the stat sheet, but it was far easier to produce, repair and maintain due to the streamlined production while serving all of it's combat roles. German tanks were far less reliable due to their complex design, limited production run, and even sabotage by the slave labour used in manufacturing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CandyShi said:

uh.... no? The USSR would only be the strongest army if we're measuring how many soldiers they had before the war, and not their technology/actual usefulness in combat. 

The USSR's entire strategy was quite literally built around throwing bodies at people until they ran out of ammunition/froze to death.

Lmfao, the t-34 was the best medium tank on the eastern front.The nazi's didn't have any real medium tank counter to it until the panther which they made super complicated and then crewed with dumb teanagers. The gearbox on the panther constantly breaking down limited their effectiveness to static turrets, the inability of the nazis to supply ammo limited their ability to actually fight.

I'd also recommend reading up on the soviet combined arms armies of the mid-late war as opposed to regugitating stale memes and propaganda. I gotta also say I like how you say the soviets were the ones freezing on the eastern front when they were the army that actually provided their troops winter gear lmfao.

wfWIjzr.jpg

Edited by Malal
  • Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

1 minute ago, CandyShi said:

The USSR was not the most powerful army in the world though, as the other dude was claiming

Yes I know hitler was stupid and he blundered a lot, I was talking about much of the early fight with the Nazis/USSR.

They very much were the strongest army in the world, if only for a brief time. The number of deployed men was the highest for several years until the USA hit their peak mobilization. They would have been the strongest in the world for a good chunk of the post war period too.

And the Hitler made bad strategic calls trope is also a gross oversimplification. There were several instances of Hitler overriding his generals and being correct as well. This is normally invoked to preserve the dignity of men like Rommel, but they were also capable of failings all on their own.

The quick expansion and the overrun into Russia was a result of the Red Army undergoing restructuring and the Soviets believing the non-aggression pact would hold for a few more years. Despite these enormous strategic advantages, the Germans failed in their objectives and doomed the war effort in the first push. Everything after that was prolonging the inevitable.

• Upvote 1