Is the trade center project worth getting?

Mao

• 4 months later...

I was also wondering about this. About to buy city 18 (at 100% commerce in all cities) and this would be my fifth project

At what point is this profitable and what needs to happen to captialize on it? Don't know where else to go for this info. Thanks a lot!

On 11/28/2019 at 6:39 PM, Leonard J Crabs said:

Don't listen to them, it's not the city count that makes it profitable, it's infra count. The more infra you have, the more the commerce bonus helps. Cities don't make commerce profitable. Infra does.

Don't listen to this guy, he's neglecting to mention that his advice would inflate your score so that you're more vulnerable to attack while taking even longer for you to actually see returns on the investment.

Infrastructure is indeed necessary to make commerce viable, but never, ever stack enough infrastructure to make ITC functional prior to having at least 20 cities. Until then, stick to manufacturing, raw materials, or pure military raiding. 2000 infrastructure is a good upper limit for a peaceful economic build, but bear in mind that even that requires a long time to pay itself off; I'd suggest sticking to 1500 infrastructure even if you (somehow) expect to be at peace for the next month.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot

That wasn't the question. The question is how to make ITC profitable. Cities don't make it profitable.

If you had one city at 5k infra, no military, and the ITC project you would have 145 NS. Infra does not inflate your NS like you say it does.

If you want to make the ITC project profitable, you need infra and land. If you want it to be useful, you need cities.

But cities make everything more useful

• Downvote 2

On 11/30/2019 at 6:27 AM, Leonard J Crabs said:

That wasn't the question. The question is how to make ITC profitable. Cities don't make it profitable.

If you had one city at 5k infra, no military, and the ITC project you would have 145 NS. Infra does not inflate your NS like you say it does.

If you want to make the ITC project profitable, you need infra and land. If you want it to be useful, you need cities.

But cities make everything more useful

No, you're spinning complete BS in order to try and compensate for your lack of knowledge and experience. The question is not even close to "how do I make ITC profitable", the question is "Should I get ITC". And the answer is unequivocally no, not until a lot of things that aren't true in his case are in fact true. Since building the ITC will not make any of those things true, telling him to pull two dozen cities and several billion out of nowhere and become a whale overnight is completely useless trash advice.

If you had one city at 5k infra, no military, and an ITC project... sure, you'd have 145 NS. For like ten minutes. And then your $277 million investment is flat GONE, never having returned a gross penny let alone made a net profit!

So, yes, if you want to make the ITC profitable... you need infra, land, cities, military, power, protection, none of which the ITC gives. Almost literally any project is a better investment, since the manufacturing projects work no matter what your infra, the military projects help you project power and thus gain wealth/prestige/etc with which to gain the wealth necessary to enable making the ITC viable, and the economic projects help you build that wealth in the first place.

Tl;dr: Don't put frosting on a box of flour, bake the cake first.

That said, please build 5k infra in each of your cities and prove me wrong; since we're so defeated it's perfectly safe ?

Edited by Sir Scarfalot

Just to hopefully stop this dragging on...

On the one hand, Leonard J Crabs is pointing out that a 1 city/5k infra/ITC build will allow the ITC to turn a profit.

On the other, Sir Scarfalot is pointing out that any nation with such a build will not survive long in the robust international scene of Orbis. And also that other Projects make a better investment at lower levels.

Both sides are correct (well, I haven't actually done the maths so I am assuming Leonard is!), the advice is just focusing on different aspects of the game