Recycling centers

Utter Nutter

I brought up trying to change improvements (or even a project) which would aid with pollution a little while back to Alex. His response was along the lines of "Why does it need to be changed, it forces some specialization". The context in which I brought it up was the idea of someone trying to refine 2 resources in the same city is a near impossibility to lowish pollution rates. 

Prefontaine 05/27/2019
Max pollution reduction is 255
Maxing 1 refinement can be 200 pollution, that leaves 55 pollution to place elsewhere.
Stadiums add up to 15. Malls add up to 8, so that's 23 of the 55.
Raw mines can be 12.. If you wanted to be able to refine a resource and produce the resources needed in raws.. You're likely operating at an automatic negative pollution just from those
If someone had 10 of a baux mine to refine alum with 5 refineries, that would be 320 pollution.

Prefontaine 05/26/2019
Increasing the number of recycling centers/subway, or a new project that helps with it, or lessening the numbers attached to refinement/mines for pollution. Recycling adds -70 to pollution,  Alum/Steel refine add 40 per. Perhaps reduce to 35 per or increase recycling to 80 per. I would also say dropping the raw mines down to 10 would help too.

Was my original pitch.

scSqPGJ.gif

26 minutes ago, Dwynn said:

But... with all that production is there really 0 pollution? I mean even the greenest of industrial zones puts out some pollution.

Which is why one of my suggestions involved tweaking the numbers. While I'm slighting mil'd in most of my cities improvement wise, I'm still operating at +74 pollution while only having 5 refineries and and 5 coal mines (I do have 17 farms, which would be like having 3 more mines). 

scSqPGJ.gif

As a whale who is affected by these limits a lot I think they should stay.  If you want more production that badly you can eat the pollution.  I think people make too big of a deal about not being able to have "perfect" stats ie min/maxing everything and having zero pollution.

I also like the dynamic that it creates for resources prices and puts the profitability of manufacturing into four tiers: 1) Small Cities where its cheaper to eat the pollution than run recycling centers. 2) Slightly bigger cities where recycling centers are worth it but hospitals aren't.  3) Cities that can keep their pollution at zero and should do so.  4) Cities where you've hit the limit of pollution clean up.

Edited by Azaghul
GnWq7CW.png

4 hours ago, Azaghul said:

As a whale who is affected by these limits a lot I think they should stay.  If you want more production that badly you can eat the pollution.  I think people make too big of a deal about not being able to have "perfect" stats ie min/maxing everything and having zero pollution.

For a whale or upper-tier nation with production and 114-115% commerce, the only penalties to having high amount of pollution are either low disease rate or a slot filled by a hospital. The former can be easily negated by a hospital, and the latter is nothing if you have 20-30+ cities with 2.5k-3k infra.

Lower- and mid-tier nation don’t have the luxury of high amounts of infra. While lower-tier can just deal with high amounts of pollution, as their primary source of income is raws, mid-tier nations can’t have high amount of pollution if they have a max manufacturing production and full 100% commerce, which lowers their income from commerce due to the disease from that pollution. With 1.5k-2k infra, they don’t have enough improvement slots to have this build and have the 4 or more recycling centers without getting rid of other essential improvements like military buildings, which is impossible considering many alliances have MMR’s that require a certain amount of military improvements. The Great Deflation severely punished the mid-tier, as it forces them to either have max manufacturing production with maybe some commerce or 100% commerce with maybe some manufacturing production. 

My point is the pollution for upper-tier nations/whales doesn’t affect them negatively, and I much prefer to have a fourth recycling center than have a dirty number that otherwise doesn’t affect me negatively.