Dear Alex: A message from the player base

Ryan1

7 minutes ago, Thalmor said:

The lag during blitzes is ridiculous. Alliance wars are a major part of the game and the opening blitz is one of the most important parts. They're also some of the most fun, exciting, intense and stressful times a lot of people have playing this game. I do believe this is something that should be acted upon.

I cannot speak for others, but an additional server or a server upgrade is something I would throw some money at myself. I think it can be safely assumed that there are others in the community who feel the same.

yeah but he's a poor college student /s even with an extremely successful side hustle that potentially makes him $10k+ a year with minimal effort

Edited by chanel
  • Upvote 2

I would reprimand you for this behavior, but the sheer importance of blitz in the current meta keeps my lips sealed.
I wonder if PnW will ever be moved to AWS or will ever leave Alex's basement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Love you

16 minutes ago, Malleator said:

I would reprimand you for this behavior, but the sheer importance of blitz in the current meta keeps my lips sealed.

It's not in his basement.

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

36 minutes ago, Thalmor said:

The lag during blitzes is ridiculous. Alliance wars are a major part of the game and the opening blitz is one of the most important parts. They're also some of the most fun, exciting, intense and stressful times a lot of people have playing this game. I do believe this is something that should be acted upon.

I cannot speak for others, but an additional server or a server upgrade is something I would throw some money at myself. I think it can be safely assumed that there are others in the community who feel the same.

I'm in

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Malleator said:

Normally, I wouldn't care. It's the fact that it's gotten worse lately, and that the game can't support a blitz.

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

The game is spread across four servers (one big one for the main game, one for the main game database, one for the test server, and one for the forum.) We upgraded the main server the last time this was an issue, and that did improve things for some time, but I think the biggest issue at the moment is optimization / people running scripts/scraping the game.

One of my top priorities is completely refactoring the API which I hope will reduce a lot of load on the server. However, no matter how much money I throw at server upgrades or spend on optimization, the fact of the matter is that during blitzes the game will lag because everyone is trying to do the same thing at the same time.

One potential fix (or at least improvement) would be to allow everyone to set their time zone, and have a rolling update time unique to each player. Then blitzes wouldn't all have to happen at midnight server time; alliances could probably have all their members choose the same update times for their blitzes and you wouldn't ever really know when you're going to be hit. Just an idea to throw out their for you all to consider.

Perhaps some of the work you put in over the summer would be towards updating your code. I'm sure you can identify some inefficient spots that need improvement, you've got more experience and a degree (?) now so I imagine you can find some things to improve. 

This is one of the crucial aspects of your game. It needs to be better. This is a problem only you can fix.

la0j17o.gif 

• Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

3 hours ago, Alex said:

One potential fix (or at least improvement) would be to allow everyone to set their time zone, and have a rolling update time unique to each player. Then blitzes wouldn't all have to happen at midnight server time; alliances could probably have all their members choose the same update times for their blitzes and you wouldn't ever really know when you're going to be hit. Just an idea to throw out their for you all to consider.

This would be a really, really, really good change.  It'd help massively with server overload.  It'd be fairer to players in time zones or schedules that make update difficult.  It'd create room for new strategies and tactics.

• Like 3
GnWq7CW.png

4 hours ago, Alex said:

The game is spread across four servers (one big one for the main game, one for the main game database, one for the test server, and one for the forum.) We upgraded the main server the last time this was an issue, and that did improve things for some time, but I think the biggest issue at the moment is optimization / people running scripts/scraping the game.

One of my top priorities is completely refactoring the API which I hope will reduce a lot of load on the server. However, no matter how much money I throw at server upgrades or spend on optimization, the fact of the matter is that during blitzes the game will lag because everyone is trying to do the same thing at the same time.

Yes, making it so that you'd have to set update at least 24 hours ahead would be good for coordinating blitzes. There are people I know (and I've called counters onto them) who hate warfighting because they have to be up at obscene hours. Making it so that you can blitz at any time would be good, but the unintended side effect would be that timing blitz would lead to new tactics which may not be balanced.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Big yes. I even suggested it in here at forum. And some people said it is not possible to do it. I am glad you finally consider it. It not only makes server less busy but also can make game more unpredictable and fun. Moreover finally people would be able to sleep. For example for me Update time is at 2am.

• Upvote 1

78be39c24ea9f3a0med.jpg 

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Neither the API nor the update time are the real problem here. You've already capped the API extremely hard and it didn't make any difference, and the game not only lags massively around update, it runs extremely slowly now even most other times of the day. This lag started very abruptly, I believe exactly at the time when you implemented the fix to the exploit Nova Riata abused. The day before the game ran smoothly, the next day and every day since it's been cripplingly slow. The main issue is clearly in the code, the only other explanation would be that someone suddenly started continuously DDoSing.

As for making the update time flexible, I'm sure that would be a ton of work and a massive change for relatively little pay-off. It would certainly make the game a bit more fair, yes, but not as much as many people would like to believe and not so much that it would justify changing the entire way this game works. People love looking for excuses or scapegoats. It is definitely not necessary for a good war performance. A lot of my own members can never be online at update and still perform amazingly in war, far above the vast majority of players in this game. This kind of change would also be easy to abuse, as in changing your preferred update time in such a way to get an advantage, and any restrictions on changing it would handicap people who travel a lot for their real-life job. Not to mention, a blitz wouldn't be much of a blitz when everyone declares within 24 hours of each other instead of within 5 minutes of each other... I'm not saying it's bad idea in itself, but it definitely is far less important and less work-efficient than many other things you need to fix.

Edited by Horsecock
  • Upvote 4

• Administrators

Well, the good news is that ss23 was able to do a lot of optimization and hopefully you've noticed significant improvement the past two days or so.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well, the good news is that ss23 was able to do a lot of optimization and hopefully you've noticed significant improvement the past two days or so.

It’s been blazing fast the past few days.

image.gif.d80770bf646703bba00c14ad52088af9.gif

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
On 6/21/2019 at 11:03 PM, Alex said:

That's great news, when will the game be updated too, after all, we need some new items for war rather than who has the most planes.

17 minutes ago, Elijah Mikaelson said:

That's great news, when will the game be updated too, after all, we need some new items for war rather than who has the most planes.

You're just pissed you don't have enough planes.

Thanks for the optimization ss/sheepy

os9LcJK.gif

Guest Elijah Mikaelson
1 hour ago, Prefonteen said:

You're just pissed you don't have enough planes.

Thanks for the optimization ss/sheepy

Who are you again?