Disturbance In The Force

Malakai

I’m shocked and disturbed by the banning of Blink.  I’ve read over the exploit thread, the appeal, and the outcry that followed, but several key items stand out and give me pause. They make me think this has been handled personally rather than professionally, led by an inherent bias against everyone declared rather than proven guilty. 

1.  There are assumptions made, accepted, and used to render a verdict. 

2.   Alex is clearly showing bias and anger instead of a cool head and logic. Perhaps this should be managed by a group instead of an individual. 

3. Banning should be a final recourse and used only in extreme circumstances and this scenario doesn’t seem to fit that standard. 

I question the motive and logic of resorting to banning for unverified trading or assistance on the first offense rather than simply requiring a renewal of their verification as added assurance and to bring the players back into line with the rules. In truth I question the verification system as a whole.  I can photoshop an image with the requirements and be verified without an issue. Is there a reminder in game to reduce the missed deadlines? The rules say it's a bannable offense, which makes me ask @Alex ”Do you ban first offenders 100% of the time”, if not I see room for discipline on a proportional scale rather than permanent exile. There should be room for grace and absolution as we are all fallible. 

Truthfully, if I verified today, missed the deadline, and made such a trade, I doubt I would be banned. This action, coupled with an very public in-game flaw seems to have exponentially increased the response due to embarrassment rather than a legitimate response to the infraction. I don't expect a radical 180-degree shift on the matter but as a long term player, I wonder how easily I could be discarded in a similar circumstance?

If an admin doesn't value the players, can the players value the game?

• Upvote 3

I think Blink should probably be unbanned, as I haven’t seen evidence of him being part of the cheating. Seems based on an assumption and I don’t like guilt assumed without being sure.

Didn’t know him myself, but seems he has a lot of friends as well.

Just now, Noctis Anarch Caelum said:

I think Blink should probably be unbanned, as I haven’t seen evidence of him being part of the cheating. Seems based on an assumption and I don’t like guilt assumed without being sure.

Didn’t know him myself, but seems he has a lot of friends as well.

Rather than continuing the witch hunt, read the post above yours 

Just now, Carter Burke said:

Rather than continuing the witch hunt, read the post above yours 

Good to see he was unbanned & not really a witch hunt saying you think punishment should be reversed on someone you don’t think guilty.:P

• Administrators
On 6/14/2019 at 7:44 PM, Optima said:

I’m shocked and disturbed by the banning of Blink.  I’ve read over the exploit thread, the appeal, and the outcry that followed, but several key items stand out and give me pause. They make me think this has been handled personally rather than professionally, led by an inherent bias against everyone declared rather than proven guilty. 

There's no court here, and I can never prove anyone guilty. Ultimately, it's up to me to make my best judgement calls given the situation. It's an online game, you're going to find that (and probably worse) playing any other game which requires moderators.

Second, I find it funny you think that my response was "handled personally" and that "Alex is clearly showing bias and anger instead of a cool head and logic." If you read the thread, it's not like I came out and did everything at the same time. I took my time, investigated the situation, and as more information came to light (much of it through DMs as many people don't want to publicly out each other and be targets for in-game retribution) I continued with further actions to resolve the situation.

Frankly, I'm not surprised someone took advantage of that bug, and ultimately it's on me for allowing it to exist in the first place. The exploiters needed to be banned so as not to encourage players to exploit bugs in the future, but on a personal level, I'm not angry nor was I. I communicated with pooball on Discord (civilly, I'm sure he'll agree) for quite some time before I got some new information directly incriminating him and Ar Gd, at which point they were banned.

I guess to summarize in the end, I very much disagree with your little synopsis here, but I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect and the game is certainly not perfect. I'm not a professional programmer, I'm a one-man team and I made this game when I was in high school. You're not going to agree with everything I do, and you're free to play other games. I think you'll find, however, that other games tend to have worse moderation, more biases, and are less attentive to their players than here.

• Like 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link