5 ways not to run an alliance(why most micros never grow)

Wendell

On 6/6/2019 at 4:09 PM, KingGhost said:

arent u that micro leader than DoW'ed an alliance by himself

no hes the ex gov who did

These rules do not apply to GPC, because we are a meme.

Guest Frawley

You forgot the most important rule not running 100/100 taxes all the time, all the members. 

Edited by Frawley

strum's tips:

1. go to google

2. search literally anything that doesn't involve the words "politics" or "war"

3. go down that rabbit hole

4. ???

5. profit

am I doing this right?

On 3/16/2016 at 9:54 PM, Lykos said:

Our next move is obviously rolling LordStrum. 

On 6/6/2019 at 11:58 PM, Epi said:

12. Don't sign treaties unless you have a sense of shared destiny. Why would you defend potential rivals, are they necessary to your survival? This extends to alliances not sharing your fundamental goals. Don't sign allies of allies either unless you're closer to them than you are to your initial ally <> There's no point with how politics currently works<>

13. If someone threatens you, run the numbers and throw the first punch. Micros get away with a lot and because they aren't expected to survive will be forgotten quickly by the people that matter. Hell even the people you end up fighting.

14. Ego, this is the biggest issue with new alliances and even solid low-mid tier alliances. There's a sense of inflated ego that prevents micros from promoting people who are right for the job, you have to take the risk of losing yours to make the alliance better. It also keeps you on your toes and improving yourself.

15. Character leaders vs. Procedural leaders, Less personality the better :P at least when it comes to Foreign Affairs, if we've learned anything it's that politics is incredibly subjective and being in a sphere without a large forum presence or even just being on the peripheries of a sphere means you won't have the backup for memes. Just say your piece and GTFO.

16. Don't sign protectorates. 'nough said. Only 1/10 will ever break top 50, consolidate your friends into the alliance as much as possible, allies too if you can :P. Remove anyone who's even considering starting their own alliance later, you'll save yourself a 20 member loss in the future. That shits like cancer, just gotta nuke it.

17. Small Discord. You got a war channel? You got a members channel? You got a bank channel? You got announcements? Your done. Goodluck, update next christmas.

18. If the alliance hasn't grown by 15% Score or member wise in over a month, disband.

19. If your alliance is below City 9, seriously consider staying paperless, not only is it viable, it's preferable, RE: Typhon, an excellent example of this strategy being successful. Just make sure you have over 60 members when you do it.

20. Oh yeah, and nibbas, don't form unless you have 3 core government members, and they need be equals. REEEEEEE. If the other two can't do your job as well as you can you're doomed.

21. Just pick 1 leader, triums are BS. And if a leader is inactive, boot him down to member or leave. No excuse for that.

Having recently embarked on this journey myself, all of this is good. And what pre said. I'm gonna ramble a bit now.

However I'd argue 15% is too low. If you're starting an alliance you should at least be capable in more than one department. Regardless of if you have competent and experienced gov filling everything out, it's about you having experience. One jackass (like myself) who knows what they're doing in 3/4 departments pulled out alot more than 15% completely alone. Checking this thing my now competent IA gov showed me, wewent from 3.1k score on 12/18 and was at 16.6 a month later. Started with only 2/4 people planned.

So if you've got an entire government that can't keep up with an over confident jackass running a one-man show, you don't have enough experience and you should wait until you do.

Which brings me to the second and most important point.

Actually knowing, accurately, with as little personal bias as possible what you are capable of. You have to base your goals off this, but also your attitude. If you get this wrong, you will have a bad time. I know for certain, because I got it wrong, and I had a very bad time. 

It doesn't matter how much growth you get at first or how much everyone else in the neighborhood sucks. You overestimate yourself and you will fall flat on your goddamn face, over and over and over until you figure it out.

Point three: even if you are high capable in 3/4 departments, if your government is not on or above your level in their department, train them immediately. Preferably before you even found the alliance. Do not wait for later when X is setup or Y is handled and the waters have calmed. 

The water will not calm. Micros are a wonderful shitstorm of chaos filled with idiots. No matter how smart or good you are, at best you are King Idiot LXXVIII, long may he reign! And no King, not even you can run the kingdom alone, not forever. For as great as I think I am, I started cracking and slipping a little after the 3 month mark, and I was still carrying at nearly 5 1/2. My man @Dio Brando can attest to much fun I was not having. 

The sooner you get your government of noobs, or just moderately experienced ex-low gov up to a level where they can start taking some weight, you will have a bad time, and all your early progress will start slipping away, regardless of how much you dig your heels in.

And the final point: do not ever stop learning. Especially since most micro leaders completely miss the mark on estimating their proficiency. 

For example I assumed id be best at Milcom, as I'd been doing it for most of my PW life. In actuality, I was FAR better at econ, despite never having done it before. That's thanks to a friend who taught me how to run it that way, Odin/Red Baron. 

I figured I'd be weakest at IA, since I'm a bit of a hermit IRL and community outreach clashes with that. I was actually even worse at FA, much, much worse. Ontop of lacking information and context I had at the time, I was also in need of an incredibly serious attitude adjustment. It was a bit of a weekly meme in RSK, "Who does Akuryo nearly start a war with this week?", And also that we got the highest number of people entering our server when I decided to send the noobs after some random micro for whatever reason I came up with. And sometimes, the angry parties were major Alliances, too. So blind was I to this that I didn't actually come to terms with this necessity and start affecting change until very recently, about a month ago, and still ongoing. 

I only learned I had to fix that, and how to do it after accepting the problem and going to people I knew who were experienced in it to ask of their expertise.

Too many micros refuse advice or help because they think too highly of themselves or have too much pride, or have some spiteful mentality against more established and experienced players and alliances, in my case the former two.

It is important to identify and control those as soon as possible. Do not rely on luck or your perceived ability to save you forever, continuously identify weakness and pursue the learning required to remove it. Anything less and I can guarantee destruction by your own mediocrity. Only by accepting that you are shit can you become anything better. 

I was shit, still am sorta, and so are you! And so is epi, and so aren't most of the people reading/posting in this thread. Nothing to be embarrassed about as long as you don't pretend otherwise :P

im done rambling now, byeeeee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1